WCCC June 27th in Leiden

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

WCCC June 27th in Leiden

Post by Harvey Williamson »

To the mods you have not moved a post about Go in the last few days and Ed's poll shows members clearly in favour of these announcements being here so do the right thing and allow general discussion of this topic here, in the main section, with the games posted elsewhere - Thanks!

The WC starts in a couple of weeks. There is still time to enter. At the moment there will be a double round robin for the WC. A 6 round tournament for the World Computer Software Championship(played on = hardware)

So far we have:

Hiarcs
Komodo
Shredder
Cluster GinkGo will also play on >150 cores I am told
Jonny will play on even more cores!
Raptor

The Baron.

If this post is not moved I will report from the event daily. If the mods decide that they want to continue changing the way this forum has always been run reports will, only, be here http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7855
MikeB

Re: WCCC June 27th in Leiden

Post by MikeB »

I concur. In fact, the tournament section was only set up for the endless and never ending self play tournaments which was taking over the main board. It was never intended for real tournaments such as the WCCC. If this posts get moved I would consider it a travesty and a mockery of the original intent. It would be along the same lines that the when founding fathers of the US constitution wrote the phrase "right to bear arms" in the second amendment they were thinking that it should include automatic assault rifles such as the AK 47's.
Harvey Williamson

MikeB wrote:If this posts get moved I would consider it a travesty and a mockery of the original intent.
Agreed!

In fact I think it is time to mail the forum hosts if these events can no longer be posted about in the main section.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
If this post is not moved I will report from the event daily. If the mods decide that they want to continue changing the way this forum has always been run reports will, only, be here http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7855
I agree, but TCEC event should also be allowed to make announcements here, if this 8 games inanity is here.
Harvey Williamson

Laskos wrote:I agree, but TCEC event should also be allowed to make announcements here
I have no problem with that.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Sure, TCEC might not be a 'participation event' for the players, but it is involves live broadcasting, and thus has a legitimate need to attract an audience. There are many people interested in TCEC, but without any interest in results of individual rating tourneys (which eventually will be presented to them in digested form as a rating list). Such people read here, and not in the tournaments section. So they should get their information here,and not have it hidden from them.
Harvey Williamson

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Laskos wrote:I agree, but TCEC event should also be allowed to make announcements here
I would like to add that I have no issue with Go GM v machine being talked about in this section or even Father(pablo) games being discussed. Only that if they are allowed and not moved surely Computer Chess events where the author has to give permission to participate must be allowed. Without the authors there is no Computer Chess and no CCC.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

hgm wrote:Sure, TCEC might not be a 'participation event' for the players, but it is involves live broadcasting, and thus has a legitimate need to attract an audience. There are many people interested in TCEC, but without any interest in results of individual rating tourneys (which eventually will be presented to them in digested form as a rating list). Such people read here, and not in the tournaments section. So they should get their information here,and not have it hidden from them.
Indeed, I agree. Also, Larry Kaufman's odds matches with Komodo (even against Nakamura IIRC) were lumped to the tournament section, while the interest was considerable, the results being discussed even in serious mainstream media. Some would probably say that it's advertisement for Komdo, but come on, we are still allowed to talk here about commercial programs.
Harvey Williamson

Laskos wrote:
hgm wrote:Sure, TCEC might not be a 'participation event' for the players, but it is involves live broadcasting, and thus has a legitimate need to attract an audience. There are many people interested in TCEC, but without any interest in results of individual rating tourneys (which eventually will be presented to them in digested form as a rating list). Such people read here, and not in the tournaments section. So they should get their information here,and not have it hidden from them.
Indeed, I agree. Also, Larry Kaufman's odds matches with Komodo (even against Nakamura IIRC) were lumped to the tournament section, while the interest was considerable, the results being discussed even in serious mainstream media. Some would probably say that it's advertisement for Komdo, but come on, we are still allowed to talk here about commercial programs.
We all agree :)

If posting the schedule for the non chess events will allow this thread to stay in the main section please let me know. As Go is now allowed here (or drafts) I can post the schedule for these events if now only none chess events are allowed here.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
I would like to add that I have no issue with Go GM v machine being talked about in this section or even Father(pablo) games being discussed. Only that if they are allowed and not moved surely Computer Chess events where the author has to give permission to participate must be allowed. Without the authors there is no Computer Chess and no CCC.
Sure, it was like that before.