A petition for all living in Germany, Netherland and Belgium

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

A petition for all living in Germany, Netherland and Belgium

Post by fern »

My daughter go to those countries this monday. She is 24 years old and will go alone. I would appreciate if you living there can give me -for her- addresses, cel phones or whatever way to find you in case my daughter could need any help. probably will not be necessary, but I want t play safe.

Thank you very much

Fern
styx

Re: A petition for all living in Germany, Netherland and Bel

Post by styx »

Quick hint: all these countries a not so small. Maybe it'd make sense to know, what cities she's going to visit.

But don't worry. I bet she will be fine :)
Evert

Post by Evert »

I'm fine with giving you my phone number for contact if needed, but I wouldn't actually be able to go out and physically offer help if needed (I have my own kids to look after, who are too young to stay at home) and so I'm not sure if it would actually be useful. Just let me know if you think it would be useful regardless and I'll send it to you. I'm close to Amsterdam.

That said, she should be perfectly fine. Pretty much anyone she runs into will be able to communicate in English (elderly people perhaps not) and all three countries are generally safe for women traveling alone. If there are any particular tips you're after or concerns you might have, just mention it.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Keeping an extra photocopy of your passport can be very useful. Also keeping a digital copy of your passport online can be useful.

The German police are very capable problem solvers. If she has any trouble in Germany have her contact the police.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

fern wrote:My daughter go to those countries this monday. She is 24 years old and will go alone. I would appreciate if you living there can give me -for her- addresses, cel phones or whatever way to find you in case my daughter could need any help. probably will not be necessary, but I want t play safe.

Thank you very much

Fern
Emergency numbers in Belgium

Important telephone numbers you may need to call in an emergency in Belgium, including helpline numbers.

If you're living in Belgium, it's important to learn the emergency numbers before it's too late.

Emergency number in Belgium

Pan-European number for all emergencies: 112

Fire or ambulance: 100

Red Cross ambulance: 105

Police: 101

Anti-poison centre: 070 245 245

Bank card lost or stolen (national): 070 344 344

Helplines in Belgium

Pharmacists (on duty)

0903 99 000 (EUR 1.50/min) | www.pharmacie.be – enter your postcode to find the nearest one.

Doctors (on duty)

Brussels: 02 479 1818

Rest of Belgium: 100

Dentists (on duty)

Brussels: 02 426 1026

Rest of Belgium 100

Vets (on duty)

Brussels 02 479 9990
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Man, do not let her go.
I have heard locals attack undesirable foreigners in those countries, or even worse, undesirable foreigners attack locals.
Also, it is much closer to Syria, but at the same time much more distant from Venezuela.
I would prefer to go to Dallas instead.
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Man, do not let her go.
I have heard locals attack undesirable foreigners in those countries, or even worse, undesirable foreigners attack locals.
Also, it is much closer to Syria, but at the same time much more distant from Venezuela.
Do you ever leave the house/internet to see what it's like outside?

As for the Netherlands (where I live) , Belgium and Germany. Exactly because nothing ever happens here and these are some of the safest countries in the world when something does happen it gets blown to huge proportions. It's good to relativate that quite a bit.

Fernando your daughter will be fine. Traveling is awesome and such a learning experience.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Biggest risk is getting bored to death.

Maybe Rotterdam is least safe but good place for a party.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

Huh... at 24 i moved all alone to netherlands by myself.. arent you overreacting? :)

By the way, this is a bit offtopic for main forum
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Stan Arts wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Man, do not let her go.
Do you ever leave the house/internet to see what it's like outside?

As for the Netherlands (where I live) , Belgium and Germany. Exactly because nothing ever happens here and these are some of the safest countries in the world when something does happen it gets blown to huge proportions. It's good to relativate that quite a bit.

Fernando your daughter will be fine. Traveling is awesome and such a learning experience.
Well, I guess it was a (miserably) failed attempt in irony.
'Dallas' as a 'safe' place should have rang a bell.

In the last days again a (probably innocent) black person was killed by the police in Dallas.
Then there were several demonstrations (riots?) against police violence
and last not least an independent (from all of this) killer shot 5 police men before he was killed by a police robot!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... r-the-kids

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... oting-live

But certainly this all is very OT.