HAwkeye 1.03 Released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

THyer

Re: HAwkeye 1.03 Released

Post by THyer »

MikeB: I also have a Gull variant, which I hope could be the base for further development. I have ported the Gull 3 source to more standard C++, removing all goto statements except those in gen_kpk (which will be superseded by tablebases anyway).

Would you consider merging our efforts?

Tom Hyer
basil00

Post by basil00 »

THyer wrote:MikeB: I also have a Gull variant, which I hope could be the base for further development. I have ported the Gull 3 source to more standard C++, removing all goto statements except those in gen_kpk (which will be superseded by tablebases anyway).

I'd suggest making your code publicly available first, e.g. as a github repo.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

basil00 wrote:
THyer wrote:MikeB: I also have a Gull variant, which I hope could be the base for further development. I have ported the Gull 3 source to more standard C++, removing all goto statements except those in gen_kpk (which will be superseded by tablebases anyway).

I'd suggest making your code publicly available first, e.g. as a github repo.
Second that, I've read of even more people involved in Gull development. but everyone is waging war on their own. That's the big difference with SF.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Tom Hyer
Sure - let me see what you have.
THyer

Post by THyer »

One thing that has been bothering me in the Gull code is the calls to see<me> with a hardcoded 50-cp margin.

Since two pieces minus a rook and pawn is exactly 50 cp, a class of exchanges is just barely ignored (I think).

Are you able and willing to test changing this to either 40 or 60 cp? I think 60 and 50 give the same strength, and 40 is stronger, but my significance levels aren't good.
"Wise and cruel was the Bird, and wise and cruel were the Sons of the Bird."
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

THyer wrote:One thing that has been bothering me in the Gull code is the calls to see<me> with a hardcoded 50-cp margin.

Since two pieces minus a rook and pawn is exactly 50 cp, a class of exchanges is just barely ignored (I think).

Are you able and willing to test changing this to either 40 or 60 cp? I think 60 and 50 give the same strength, and 40 is stronger, but my significance levels aren't good.
Sure - send me me the code that needs to be changed.
THyer

Post by THyer »

In 5 places Gull source contains 'see<me>(move,-50)'. I recommend global-replacing that with 'see<me>(move,-SeeThreshold)' and then setting SeeThreshold=40.
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

I have a mystery for the bird devs to solve.

Gull doesn't use its assigned hash under ChessGUI (and IIRC, Arena). If I assign 2GB, it will report ~70MB or so under resource monitor. With cutechess, it uses the entire 2GB.

Vadim told Graham that nothing was wrong, but I definitely get better results for Gull under cutechess.
THyer

Post by THyer »

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I'm not sure if opening another project is the best course of action. Maybe if all these efforts went towards adding to basil's (the first one to retake Gull) we'd have something better how.