Engines under 1600 ELO at CCRL for analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carlos777

Engines under 1600 ELO at CCRL for analysis

Post by Carlos777 »

I'd like to know if there are any engines under 1600 ELO (at 40/4 CCRL) that I can use to analyze epd files. I have been trying some WB and UCI engines under Arena, but without success. If anybody knows, please point them out to me.
matthewlai

Re: Engines under 1600 ELO at CCRL for analysis

Post by matthewlai »

Carlos777 wrote:I'd like to know if there are any engines under 1600 ELO (at 40/4 CCRL) that I can use to analyze epd files. I have been trying some WB and UCI engines under Arena, but without success. If anybody knows, please point them out to me.
The problem with engines that weak is that they are often buggy. Any reasonable bug-free engine (besides highly experimental stuff) will be much stronger than that.

Why not just run a strong engine for very short time per position?
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Have you tried Pigeon? I do not have a computer that I can use to test it, but from the source it looks like it can be used to analyze positions.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Adam Hair wrote:Have you tried Pigeon? I do not have a computer that I can use to test it, but from the source it looks like it can be used to analyze positions.
Hi Adam,

I tried it, but it did not work under Arena 3.5.1

PS: It analyzes the positions, but does not post any analysis until it reaches depth 8 (takes more than 30 - 40 seconds), so if I want to give 10 sec/pos won't find any solution.
Last edited by Carlos777 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

matthewlai wrote:
Carlos777 wrote:I'd like to know if there are any engines under 1600 ELO (at 40/4 CCRL) that I can use to analyze epd files. I have been trying some WB and UCI engines under Arena, but without success. If anybody knows, please point them out to me.
The problem with engines that weak is that they are often buggy. Any reasonable bug-free engine (besides highly experimental stuff) will be much stronger than that.

Why not just run a strong engine for very short time per position?
I will test all the strongest engines, but I want to test also the weak ones. So far, the weakest (according to CCRL) working engine I found is ChessRikus 1.466 (1613)
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Sorry for my ignorance, what you need the weak engine do to "analyze epd files"?
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Luis Babboni wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, what you need the weak engine do to "analyze epd files"?
I just want to try some engines on known tests like the WAC, ECM, STS, etc. I'd like to know how the weak engines do in these tests.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I'm sure I could find a version of Ethereal from a ways back that is around 1600.

I'm also sure it would be loaded with bugs, and lack of full UCI / xboard support.

If you can't find anything else, I'll see if I can find something for you.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Tibono

Post by Tibono »

Bill Forster's TarraschToy engine - not in CCRL but strength is close to what you are looking for and analysis mode runs fine.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Pigeon binaries are here available:
https://github.com/StuartRiffle/pigeon/releases

Michael Byrne was not able to build a working Macintosh compile- too many errors.

It works on Arena 3.5.1 with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit - just download
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=30679
Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4

Spanish edition is here: https://www.microsoft.com/es-ES/downloa ... x?id=30679

Older engines cf. the French website http://lefouduroi.pagesperso-orange.fr/ ... ui/sui.htm

Best wishes,
Norbert