"It's like a chess master losing out to a computer.&quo

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mig2004

"It's like a chess master losing out to a computer.&quo

Post by mig2004 »

"Here, you've got an AI system that seems to be able to deal with the air-to-air environment, which is extraordinarily dynamic, has an extraordinary number of parameters and, in the paper, more than holds its own against a skilled and capable, experienced combat pilot," said Doug Barrie, a military aerospace analyst at think tank IISS.

"It's like a chess master losing out to a computer."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36650848

Is chess ripe for fuzzy logic programming?
Rochester

Re: "It's like a chess master losing out to a computer.

Post by Rochester »

I say NO! The fighter is for war. The chess is not real war. The chess is only for game, no kill people!
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

Rochester wrote:I say NO! The fighter is for war. The chess is not real war. The chess is only for game, no kill people!
Killing your opponent with a jet fighter. That could save the day if you're in trouble. I bet it's not mentioned in the rules either, at least not specifically.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

elpapa wrote:Killing your opponent with a jet fighter. That could save the day if you're in trouble.
A nuclear war could really ruin your day.
mig2004

Post by mig2004 »

elpapa wrote:
Rochester wrote:I say NO! The fighter is for war. The chess is not real war. The chess is only for game, no kill people!
Killing your opponent with a jet fighter. That could save the day if you're in trouble. I bet it's not mentioned in the rules either, at least not specifically.

Taking what we need or want, with all sort of pretexts and excuses, by force, has been the hallmark of all human civilization for as long as we have known.

That´s not about to change, no matter what we wish. I guess we will never learn.
mig2004

Post by mig2004 »

Abstract
Breakthroughs in genetic fuzzy systems, most notably the development of the Genetic Fuzzy Tree methodology,
have allowed fuzzy logic based Artificial Intelligences to be developed that can be applied to incredibly complex
problems. The ability to have extreme performance and computational efficiency as well as to be robust to
uncertainties and randomness, adaptable to changing scenarios, verified and validated to follow safety specifications
and operating doctrines via formal methods, and easily designed and implemented are just some of the strengths
that this type of control brings. Within this white paper, the authors introduce ALPHA, an Artificial Intelligence that
controls flights of Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles in aerial combat missions within an extreme-fidelity simulation
environment. To this day, this represents the most complex application of a fuzzy-logic based Artificial Intelligence
to an Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle control problem. While development is on-going, the version of ALPHA
presented withinwas assessed by Colonel (retired)Gene Lee who described ALPHA as “the most aggressive,
responsive, dynamic and credible AI (he’s) seen-to-date.” The quality of these preliminary results in a problem that
is not only complex and rife with uncertainties but also contains an intelligent and unrestricted hostile force has
significant implications for this type of Artificial Intelligence. This work adds immensely to the body of evidence that
this methodology is an ideal solution to a very wide array of problems

(...) http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/gene ... 000144.pdf
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

mig2004 wrote:The ability to have extreme performance and computational efficiency as well as to be robust to
uncertainties and randomness, adaptable to changing scenarios, verified and validated to follow safety specifications
and operating doctrines via formal methods, and easily designed and implemented are just some of the strengths
that this type of control brings.
and so on. sounds like lots of commercial hokum for marketing
purposes; and bad writing with these very long sentences as well;
for the rest it's still good business such stuff apparently (yes i
agree with Roch Manilla; the Chinese and later also the
Russians will have similar toys; better play a game of chess);
yes there is fuzzy logic which also is nothing new but they hardly
use i think just it sounds good in the commercial ads i suppose
ah well, as for the technology of stochastic and adaptive control, i
wrote a Msc paper on that some 26 years ago; stuff
with Kalman filters, and random noise (stochastic);
lots of math; for the combat you need some game
playing strategies, but they have not much to do
with chess, and even less with the stochastic control
techniques which are known anyway already in most
fly by wire systems; not that i'm an expert, i
did general research, not aimed at military stuff; never
had the ambition to use it for such purposes coz
a) i would have to go -for long time- to yankee country and
b)although apparently you can make lots of buck i have
some hesitation of using modern technology for military
purposes; because obviously it implicates escalation

but uh , yes moderators, shouldn't this topic not
better be move to the general topic of chess thinkers
or so (if that still exists); just wondering.. (?)
:)
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

tpoppins wrote:
elpapa wrote:Killing your opponent with a jet fighter. That could save the day if you're in trouble.
A nuclear war could really ruin your day.
Reminds me of the movie,"Stealth"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382992/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Starring Josh Lucas, Jessica Biel, Jamie Foxx 7 Sam Shepard
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie