CFish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: CFish

Post by syzygy »

syzygy wrote:
Jouni wrote:One note: 12.9. version gives in bench 6024713 at first run, then totally different values like 5122529 4862840 etc. :? .
Ah, it seems SF clears hash etc. between runs. Thanks :)
So did Cfish, but the counter move history tables were not correctly being cleared. Fixed now.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

I'd be interested in benchmark numbers. Is CFish faster than a functionally identical Stockfish? If so, by how much?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ras wrote:I'd be interested in benchmark numbers. Is CFish faster than a functionally identical Stockfish? If so, by how much?
It is shockingly faster on my hardware (nearly twice as fast from the middle game onwards).

I suspect that Ronald has done more than a literal translation and made a few improvements like Mohammed did with Asmfish.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Ras wrote:I'd be interested in benchmark numbers. Is CFish faster than a functionally identical Stockfish? If so, by how much?
It is shockingly faster on my hardware (nearly twice as fast from the middle game onwards).

I suspect that Ronald has done more than a literal translation and made a few improvements like Mohammed did with Asmfish.
I don't know about the referenced speeds from Dann, but the executables with GCC can be very small indeed. The NPS I got when compiling with TDM-GCC are roughly the same as with Stockfish compiled here, maybe a bit higher though.

If anyone is interested in a Ferrarifish III version of Cfish, I made that and called it Dolphin, as I had not seen a Stockfish clone with that name and it really is a nice name for a Stockfish based derivative chess program although technically it is not really a fish. No more than 7 lines changed in Ronald's ntsearch.c

It is available on the Toga Developers Bulletin Board.

Dolphin is only 183 kB! Cfish is 186 kB. I hope it can run on other systems though, if not I can't really make a 64 bit compile for other systems than my own. Also no 32 bit compile, I am not sure Cfish supports that.

Rainbow Dolphin

No crashes with cfish master, I played a very short 2 min per game per player match against Stockfish:

Cfish_001 2016-09-17 - Sf Master 2016-09-14: 5 - 5 (+0 =10 -0) 50% -0 Elo according to Shredder
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Hi Eelco :)

Can you make other compile than BMI2 ? My system don't support it. :(
Rochester

Post by Rochester »

The Dolphin chess is the copyright of Mr Nguyễn Việt Huy, yes? Good he can be back. GUI is beauty!
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Damir wrote:Hi Eelco :)

Can you make other compile than BMI2 ? My system don't support it. :(
Hi Damir,

Yes, at least, I hope so, I edited the post.

Thanks to the 8 downloaders so far :D!
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Rochester wrote:The Dolphin chess is the copyright of Mr Nguyễn Việt Huy, yes? Good he can be back. GUI is beauty!
Sorry Roch, I did not know of a program called Dolphin Chess, but anyway this is just a Cfish MOD, I hope no offense to the programmer of Dolphin Chess.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Thanks Eelco. I have downloaded your engine now. :D
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Dann Corbit wrote:It is shockingly faster on my hardware (nearly twice as fast from the middle game onwards).
Wow, that is impressive. In identical positions, are the calculated PVs the same?
Even then - the Stockfish developers are already top-league ones so that doubling the speed with just some small changes seems improbable. The Stockfish team would have harvested these major gains long ago.

You see, there is much discussion whether C++ is slower than C or not; the usual argument by C++-developers is that C++ is on a par with C, provided that you have very competent C++ developers since it is much easier to go wrong with C++. Only that there is a shortage on complex applications that would allow for a direct 1:1 comparison.