broadcasting engine tournaments

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zenpawn

broadcasting engine tournaments

Post by zenpawn »

Are there any guides/tutorials on the various methods for broadcasting engine tournaments?

It seems there are quite a few ways. For example:

1) TCEC uses a likely customized version of cutechess-cli with pgn4web

2) Graham uses Tom's Live Chess Viewer plus dyndns.org

3) Clemens Keck uses some sort of Remote Desktop to web tool that updates the page every so many seconds.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: broadcasting engine tournaments

Post by hgm »

I always used WinBoard with a general web server (Abyss) and the ChessLive! viewer. WinBoard has options to save the game on a 'broadcast file'. By running a web server on the same machine you can make that file visible to the outside world. If you then also host the web page of the ChessLive! viewer on that server, it can periodically poll the game file to follow the game.

Disadvantage is that you have to make your Chess machine reachable for the outside world. (But I think this is also the case with TLVS/TLCV.) In principle you could also run something on your Chess machine that periodically uploads the game file to an external web server, and host ChessLive! on the latter. I never tried that. Advantage is that you wouldnot have to install your own web server, but obvious disadvantage is that you would need to have access to an existing web server. I remember Abyss was trivial to install.

At http://hgm.nubati.net/WCCC/game1/chess.html you can see a demo. There is no game going on there; I just put WinBoard's broadcast file for a particular finished game permanently on that server. Normally it would just auto-play a game in progress up to the current position, and then show new moves as the engines play them.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Thanks, guys. I was unaware of these options.