benchmark new smartphones:

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Anton

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by Anton »

mclane wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:06 am The 970 is in almost all Huawei phones. I guess i must have benchmarked it in the Huawei p20 pro’s I had so far .
Had the phone twice.
I made a step backwards,
Bought a Motorola z2 Force and an essential phone ph-1.
A freudian slip perhaps? yes you did make a step backwards, the Motorola z2 Force comes with a plastic screen that is easily marked, even with a fingernail!! what were Motorola (Lenovo) thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2l7sXhT540

The essential phone comes with a glass screen which breaks easily when dropped, and as spare parts for the essential phone seem to be impossible to source, if you drop it and break the screen, game over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktl2mLsSq4o

And a phone with a big notch in the screen, now that is bullshit, looks like the phone was designed by Henry.. :D

https://www.essential.com/about#team
mclane wrote: Reason is I don’t like glass phones.

Glass is to fragile for me,
It’s ok when the screen is glass, but why the backside too ????
Or even worse, the edge too (Samsung).

Soory but I will not buy such a bullshit.
Under normal usage, a glass back will not break, and while people have different tastes, in my opinion it looks and feels stunning. My previous smartphone lasted 4 years and is still mostly undamaged, I do not expect to drop this phone. Plastic screens are only suitable for small children and clumsy people, and a decent case will prevent breakage in the majority of accidents.

Whatever you may think, it is not bullshit.
mclane wrote: I do buy Metall or plastic phones, but not glass all around.
The Motorola z2 force has NO glass. Neither front nor backside !!!!!

The essential phone has android 9 !!!! And costs only 399. Bought it for 320.
Amazon sold it for 250 dollar.
It’s as fast as the z2 force and has ceramic at the backside.
AND like the pixel phones, Android 9.

I do not buy glass phones anymore and do communicate this too the public and companies.

No glass with me.
Fair enough, no one is trying to sell you a glass phone. You seem to buy a lot of phones, how many phones do you have? or do you break them often hence the reason you keep buying new ones?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Many mobile phones with glass backside do not have QI .

The z2 force has a plastic screen. Indeed. That helps it to survive when it falls down. And backside is Metall.
I will not buy z3 because it is glass on both sides.
If you are afraid to scratch the screen, put a shield on it out of glass or plastic.

Nobody is forcing me ?? Almost all new phones have this stupid glass backside.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Anton

Post by Anton »

The new Xiaomi pocophone f1 comes with either a plastic or kevlar back, it also has an earphone jack and is the cheapest Snapdragon 845 phone money can buy today.

Glass does have advantages such as being transparent to rf as well as being optically superior to plastic, personally I would like to see the back of phones have solar panel under glass, that way it would be possible to trickle charge the battery with a few watts when in standby.
mclane

Post by mclane »

The speed difference between 845 and 835 is not SO big. Also there is a problem with cooling in full Glass phones. Metall is much better in cooling heat. At least better then glass. So let’s see how the benchmarks are.
The essential phone is a very cool phone. And the z2 force very interesting with all the mods you can buy for the z phones.

You have to see that both , z2 and essential phone have almost stock android, this is the reason essential phone has android 9.
mclane

Post by mclane »

The pocophone also has only FHD+ resolution. While the z2 force or the essential phone have a much higher resolution.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Xiaomi Mi Max 3, Sd636, 3251 KNPS
Motorola z2 force sd835, 4094 KNPS
Essential Phone sd835, 4322 KNPS
Anton

Post by Anton »

I guess that is to be expected given that the pocophone retails for half the price of the z2.

Just ran a new test on the Kirin 970 after dealing with some of the background bloat, squeezed 100,000 more nps out of the phone, didn't notice any throttling or heat issues.

The Kirin 980 is due to be released in October, claiming to be 20% faster than the 970, and 40% more efficient... the first 7nm smartphone chipset..

What version of Stockfish are you using to test Essential, Moto?

mclane

Post by mclane »

The z2 force is sold out here in Germany for 279 Euro and was in some special offer for 250.
They (the shops) do this because the z3 is announced. Silly of them. Good for us.

My son has a z and we can exchange the Motorola mods between us.

I don’t really see where a pocophone can help me in all this.

If we reconsider that the Sony Xperia xz2 and the LG g7 have both sd845 but get
4759 kNPS

It begins with numbers>5300 and then thermal problems reduce the score, after 2’ the result is then the above 4759.

LG G7 Snapdragon 845 4550 kNPS

We can assume that the throttling in the full glass bodies of the sd845 phones is reducing the speed of the cpu.

So where is the advantage of the phones ??

I bought both, the essential phone and the z2 force for small money because they are „out“.
The z2 because the z3 is announced. The essential phone because the people believe essential company is finished.

But the bargain you get for the small money is IMO very high.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

mclane wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:00 pm Many mobile phones with glass backside do not have QI .

The z2 force has a plastic screen. Indeed. That helps it to survive when it falls down. And backside is Metall.
I will not buy z3 because it is glass on both sides.
If you are afraid to scratch the screen, put a shield on it out of glass or plastic.

Nobody is forcing me ?? Almost all new phones have this stupid glass backside.
Metal vs. plastic vs. glass: Which is the best phone material?
Three impossible choices.

Glass-backed phones can look amazing. That silky wet look of a Galaxy S9 or the disco ball look of the Nexus 4 makes for a beautiful looking piece of gear. We want our expensive things to be beautiful.

Unfortunately, glass is also a really risky material to use in a phone. It needs to be thin (glass is heavy!) so when you use hardened treated materials like Gorilla Glass the risk of breaking increases because hardened glass is more brittle. It's a catch-22 situation that we gladly put ourselves in because of how great it looks.

Metal looks and feels good, but it's a horrible material to build a phone with. It's easy to bend, it's easy to dent, and radio waves hate it. But there are plenty of people to tell me I'm wrong because it also looks and feels good while you're holding it.

Read more here:

https://www.androidcentral.com/metal-vs ... ial-phones
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
flither
Full name: Raf Levsky

Post by flither »

Xiaomi Mi 6, Android 7.1.1 - 3900 kN/s after 1 minute