benchmark new smartphones:

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
ernest
Posts: 1863
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by ernest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 pm

better thAn... :)

Marcus9
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 4:05 pm
Full name: Marco Giorgio

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by Marcus9 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 pm

mclane wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:15 am
The sd855 is disappointing. It’s not really faster then Huaweis Kirin 980 from last year.

In some chess benchmarks it is even weaker then the Kirin,

Code: Select all

Huawei P30 Pro Kirin 980 64 bit
Stockfish10   1.102.000 1 thread
Stockfish10.  5.068.000 8threads
LC0.                4121 8 threads

ZTE Axon 10 Pro SD855
Stockfish 10    927.000. 1 Thread 
Stockfish 10 5.072.000 8 threads
Lc0.                3635   8 threads
As you can see LC0 is faster on the Kirin.
And also Stockfish on a Single Core is faster on the Kirin.

Now we know why trump has to kill Huawei,


The cpu is better then sd855, the fastest Qualcomm cpu.
The camera is much better then Samsung and apple and even better then the Google Pixel cameras.

This mobile phone is much better then all it’s competitors.

And that’s the reason trump has to forbid it can be sold.

It would be too dangerous for the American companies.
They cannot compete anymore.

which network did you use for leela?

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 16248
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by mclane » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm

It comes automatically with one in the app.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

h1a8
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 am

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by h1a8 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 pm

mclane wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm
It comes automatically with one in the app.
What app is that? Didn't know Leela was out for Android yet.

MikeB
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:46 am

iPad Air 2019 6 cores 2.5 Ghz

5858kN/s

not bad for $200 plus trade in.
Attachments
Photo Jul 02, 7 00 05 PM-res.jpg
Photo Jul 02, 7 00 05 PM-res.jpg (143.09 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

MikeB
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Decided I did not like the iPad Air screen ( too much wasted real estate for tv/movies), took it back and xchanged it for the iPad Pro 11" model. This is the best score, average is about 8300. Also, this is the 8 core CPU, iPad Air was just 6 cores.
Attachments
2019-07-03 15.06.33.jpg
2019-07-03 15.06.33.jpg (189.57 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

MikeB
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:28 pm

MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Decided I did not like the iPad Air screen ( too much wasted real estate for tv/movies), took it back and xchanged it for the iPad Pro 11" model. This is the best score, average is about 8300. Also, this is the 8 core CPU, iPad Air was just 6 cores.
I also ran it for 15 minutes and it seemed like it could hold 6800K/nps indefinitely.

royb
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by royb » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 am

MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Decided I did not like the iPad Air screen ( too much wasted real estate for tv/movies), took it back and xchanged it for the iPad Pro 11" model. This is the best score, average is about 8300. Also, this is the 8 core CPU, iPad Air was just 6 cores.
Mike - welcome to the club! I also have an iPad Pro 11 inch. The CPU in it is more than I need for chess playing and analysis. It's my favorite platform for chess now. And after iPad OS 13 comes out in the fall, it may be sufficiently useful to replace my laptop, certainly for chess, but perhaps for general purpose use.

Using the iPad means I won't ever be able to use LC0 on it, but I can live without it. Stockfish is plenty good enough for my purposes.

MikeB
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:55 pm

royb wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 am
MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Decided I did not like the iPad Air screen ( too much wasted real estate for tv/movies), took it back and xchanged it for the iPad Pro 11" model. This is the best score, average is about 8300. Also, this is the 8 core CPU, iPad Air was just 6 cores.
Mike - welcome to the club! I also have an iPad Pro 11 inch. The CPU in it is more than I need for chess playing and analysis. It's my favorite platform for chess now. And after iPad OS 13 comes out in the fall, it may be sufficiently useful to replace my laptop, certainly for chess, but perhaps for general purpose use.

Using the iPad means I won't ever be able to use LC0 on it, but I can live without it. Stockfish is plenty good enough for my purposes.
My only gripe about Stockfish on the iPad - there appears to be now way to keep it one core - one core should be plenty. Did I miss a setting? Looked for it and could not find it. There's no need for me to use 8 cores on the iPad for SF ( and it does drain the battery quite a bit faster).

royb
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by royb » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:55 pm
royb wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 am
MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Decided I did not like the iPad Air screen ( too much wasted real estate for tv/movies), took it back and xchanged it for the iPad Pro 11" model. This is the best score, average is about 8300. Also, this is the 8 core CPU, iPad Air was just 6 cores.
Mike - welcome to the club! I also have an iPad Pro 11 inch. The CPU in it is more than I need for chess playing and analysis. It's my favorite platform for chess now. And after iPad OS 13 comes out in the fall, it may be sufficiently useful to replace my laptop, certainly for chess, but perhaps for general purpose use.

Using the iPad means I won't ever be able to use LC0 on it, but I can live without it. Stockfish is plenty good enough for my purposes.
My only gripe about Stockfish on the iPad - there appears to be now way to keep it one core - one core should be plenty. Did I miss a setting? Looked for it and could not find it. There's no need for me to use 8 cores on the iPad for SF ( and it does drain the battery quite a bit faster).
I use 2 apps that each have Stockfish built into them:

"Analyze This" is an app that lets set the number of cores for Stockfish to use (and the hash size can vary from 16 - 512 MB).

"Chess Studio" is another app that uses Stockfish for analysis but that one does not let you change the number of cores in use. You can set the playing strength of SF independent of the strength of SF for use in analysis which is a feature I like.

Post Reply