New Houdini

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

New Houdini

Post by Dann Corbit »

From my examination of the TCEC9 data, the new Houdini appears to be within 50 Elo of the strength of the current Stockfish.

Big error margins, of course, but a remarkable surge in power.

I am hoping for a new tactical mode Houdini that can eyeball Babson tasks.
;-)
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
jpqy

Re: New Houdini

Post by jpqy »

That would be very impressive :!:

If i compare with my testing results ,i have in my 1core list Houdini 4 Pro 161Elo behind my first engine..and on my 8core list i have Houdini 4 Pro 168Elo lower then first engine.
If Houdini 5 dev. is around 50Elo under Stockfish then Robert gained around 111-118Elo!
Plus Robert told us that he has around +25Elo above the version playing in TCEC9 ..so then we come as close around 25Elo behind Stockfish anymore!

It's all speculatings i say now..but some people can dream about it 8-)

JP.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

I've been watching some of Houdini's TCEC games. They are impressive. The engine seems to have a punchy agressive style too. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't close to parity with Stockfish.

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

Dann Corbit wrote: the new Houdini appears to be within 50 Elo of the strength of the current Stockfish.
Et mon cul sur la commode...

This Houdart, not even able to make a Linux and a Mac version. This is the proof he is cheating people.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Canoike wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote: the new Houdini appears to be within 50 Elo of the strength of the current Stockfish.
Et mon cul sur la commode...

This Houdart, not even able to make a Linux and a Mac version. This is the proof he is cheating people.
1. Not sure why it's on the dresser. Must be a figure of speach.
2. He may or may not be cheating people but target platform choices can very easily be determined by market volume. Or, he could be a windows programmer who is discombobulated in a Posix world.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Steve Maughan wrote:I've been watching some of Houdini's TCEC games. They are impressive. The engine seems to have a punchy agressive style too. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't close to parity with Stockfish.

Steve
Your impressions seem to be confirmed as of now. Not only Houdini leads and has most wins, its wins are on average faster (less moves):

Code: Select all

SF    Hou    Ko
         25    30     26    <-- number of wins  
Length            
21-30     1     0      2
31-40     5     7      1
41-50     8     9     10 
51-60     2     9      5
61-70     6     2      3
71-80     2     2      1
81-100    1     1      4
=========================
Won      52   50.5    55.4
Game
Length
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Dann Corbit wrote:I am hoping for a new tactical mode Houdini that can eyeball Babson tasks.
;-)
Hi Dann, thanks for your support.

I'm working on the Tactical Mode right now.
It's not easy to reach the same level as the Tactical mode of Houdini 3 and Houdini 4. Houdini 3 is relatively the strongest tactician (relatively meaning "compared to its strength"). After Houdini 3 the strength improvements have actually made the engine less tactical.

I'm trying to make the "Tactical Mode" compatible with normal search, so that you can run, say, 5 threads with normal search combined with 1 thread in Tactical Mode.
Maybe I can get this operational for the TCEC superfinals :-).

Cheers,
Robert
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Houdini wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:I am hoping for a new tactical mode Houdini that can eyeball Babson tasks.
;-)

It's not easy to reach the same level as the Tactical mode of Houdini 3 and Houdini 4. Houdini 3 is relatively the strongest tactician (relatively meaning "compared to its strength"). After Houdini 3 the strength improvements have actually made the engine less tactical.

I'm trying to make the "Tactical Mode" compatible with normal search, so that you can run, say, 5 threads with normal search combined with 1 thread in Tactical Mode.

Cheers,
Robert
If 10% of the time the engine could check tactical things, that would be enough to get a tactical monster.
I see often old and weak engines find tactics way faster than current top engines.
See a reminder here : http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 285#642285
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Houdini wrote:
;-)

Cheers,
Robert
Hello Robert,

What are the chances we might see a Mac version with Houdini 5?

Best regards.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Don't overlook a pure tactical mode too.

The reason I ask for this is that I use chess engines mostly for analysis.
I can give lots of time for hard problems.
But what I care about more than anything else is the right answer.