Komodo 10.2 released.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
lkaufman
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by lkaufman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Werewolf wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
I readily admit that a new Stockfish will defeat Komodo 10.2 in direct matches (at least at fairly fast time controls), but this will not necessarily put Stockfish at the top of rating lists. Most of the testers seem to feel that performance against a gauntlet of dissimilar strong engines is more relevant than direct matches for judging strength, but of course this is a matter of opinion, not one of fact. Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish.
I'm not trying to be provocative, but why isn't it as simple as this:

i) Stockfish is currently stronger than Komodo and therefore wins in head to head matches.

ii) But Komodo uses contempt as default and so doesn't yield draws as easily to weak opponents, thus gaining some elo in multi-opponent match ups.
The difference in Komodo performance vs. Stockfish performance between direct matches and gauntlet or RR tests is huge, whereas the difference reported by various testers for Contempt 0 vs default in Komodo is just a few elo. Contempt explains only a fraction of the disparity.
Komodo rules!

Werewolf
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by Werewolf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm

OK, that is harder to explain.

On a separate note, for IDeA should UCI analysis mode be checked or unchecked?

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 16253
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by mclane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 pm

In a Match you have learning issues, in a rr or gauntlet the opponent changes each game. So learning is reduced.

I guess this is the same with human beings.
If you prepare for ONE opponent over weeks, your result is heavily influenced by this preparation, in a tournament or simultan Situation you cannot use this kind of preparation so good, and have to begin from Sero each round,
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

lkaufman
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by lkaufman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 pm

Werewolf wrote:OK, that is harder to explain.

On a separate note, for IDeA should UCI analysis mode be checked or unchecked?
checked is better, though it may not matter very much.
Komodo rules!

Hurnavich
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by Hurnavich » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:47 am

Hi,
what's main purpose of this feature analysis mode.
I do not see anything in the instructions about it.

Thanks
"May your next game be your best"

tpoppins
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm
Location: upstate

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by tpoppins » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:34 am

This is an option that most GUIs hide from the user and enable automatically when an analysis mode is requested.

From the UCI Protocol specs:

Code: Select all

<id> = UCI_AnalyseMode, type check
		   The engine wants to behave differently when analysing or playing a game.
		   For example when playing it can use some kind of learning.
		   This is set to false if the engine is playing a game, otherwise it is true.

Hurnavich
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by Hurnavich » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:43 am

So better to check in AQ IDEA thanks
"May your next game be your best"

beram
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by beram » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:55 pm

lkaufman wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
mjlef wrote:
beram wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
lkaufman wrote:We have released komodo 10.2 at komodochess.com. We estimate based on our testing that it is about 22 elo stronger than komodo 10.1 and about 30 elo stronger than komodo 10 at three minutes plus one second increment, on one or many threads. This is the largest elo gain we have had between versions since going to the subscription model. There were so many changes that it is very difficult to say which ones should get most of the credit. Evaluation, search, and time management were all changed significantly. Features (UCI options) are the same as in komodo 10.1. As usual, it is free to subscribers, and available at a 20% discount to those who bought komodo 9 or a later version.
What _I_ want to see is how this new komodo 10.2 does vs the SF that played in stage 3 of TCEC, OR, the version of SF that played in Graham Banks matches between sf and komodo.

It is very frustrating to have two moving targets at the same time.

e.g. let's say komodo beats ASM, how will we know if the older SF version, which Graham used, wouldn't have crushed komodo 10.2 like it did to komodo 10.1?

We should first test a moving target with a standing target before we go on to the second moving target.
I think we'll do ok relative to stockfish in tests like Frank's where each opponent plays against many other opponents, but we will not look so good in direct matches with Stockfish. The reasons for this are not all clear, although "Contempt" is a factor. It's up to each person to decide whether a direct match or a rr tournament is a better way to decide which of two engines is stronger. There are arguments both ways.
Well perhaps you did relatively OK in the past but nowadays... this was latest result by Frank. A clear win for SF 180916 against all, Komodo 10 and 10.1 included
(and besides Komodo 10.1 was performing 11 ELO points below K10 in his Test)
http://www.amateurschach.de/main/cross-tab/v438.htm

Code: Select all

1	SF 18Sep2016 BMI2 x64 C10	xxxxx	33.0	39.0	38.5	36.0	40.0	37.0	36.0	39.5	42.0	39.0	42.5	41.5	42.5	42.5
2	Komodo 10 x64	17.0	xxxxx	32.0	37.0	40.0	36.5	37.0	37.0	40.5	41.0	40.5	36.5	42.0	39.5	39.0
3	Houdini 4 STD B x64	11.0	18.0	xxxxx	26.5	26.0	27.5	32.5	29.5	30.5	34.0	32.0	33.0	28.5	32.0	38.0
4	Fire 4 x64	11.5	13.0	23.5	xxxxx	23.5	25.0	25.0	26.5	32.0	28.5	31.0	29.0	32.5	31.5	32.0
5	GullChess 3.0 BMI2 x64	14.0	10.0	24.0	26.5	xxxxx	31.0	23.5	24.5	28.0	30.5	30.0	32.0	26.5	31.5	32.5
6	Andscacs 0.872 BMI2 x64	10.0	13.5	22.5	25.0	19.0	xxxxx	26.0	25.0	26.0	23.5	26.5	31.5	25.0	28.5	31.0
7	Equinox 3.30 x64	13.0	13.0	17.5	25.0	26.5	24.0	xxxxx	24.0	23.5	26.0	29.0	27.5	28.5	32.5	30.5
8	Fizbo 1.8 BMI2 x64	14.0	13.0	20.5	23.5	25.5	25.0	26.0	xxxxx	29.5	23.5	25.5	27.0	28.0	30.5	29.0
9	Critter 1.6a x64	10.5	9.5	19.5	18.0	22.0	24.0	26.5	20.5	xxxxx	24.0	27.5	26.5	28.0	29.5	28.5
10	Fritz 15 x64	8.0	9.0	16.0	21.5	19.5	26.5	24.0	26.5	26.0	xxxxx	26.5	22.5	25.0	26.5	24.0
11	Nirvanachess 2.3 POP x64	11.0	9.5	18.0	19.0	20.0	23.5	21.0	24.5	22.5	23.5	xxxxx	26.5	27.0	28.5	22.5
12	Hannibal 1.7 x64	7.5	13.5	17.0	21.0	18.0	18.5	22.5	23.0	23.5	27.5	23.5	xxxxx	24.0	24.0	29.5
13	Chiron 3 x64	8.5	8.0	21.5	17.5	23.5	25.0	21.5	22.0	22.0	25.0	23.0	26.0	xxxxx	21.5	22.0
14	Protector 1.9.0 x64	7.5	10.5	18.0	18.5	18.5	21.5	17.5	19.5	20.5	23.5	21.5	26.0	28.5	xxxxx	24.0
15	Texel 1.06 x64	7.5	11.0	12.0	18.0	17.5	19.0	19.5	21.0	21.5	26.0	27.5	20.5	28.0	26.0	xxxxx
You are using as evident a run with a May 2016 version of Komodo (Komodo 10) versus a September 2016 version of Stockfish?

Also, as I understand, in the recent run with K 10.2, Contempt was improperly set to 15. 15 is a reasonable value for running against a larger number of mostly weaker opponents. A match against Stockfish or other Komodo versions should use a Contempt of 0.
The issue Mark is that every single tester keeps coming out with results that clearly show that Stockfish is stronger than Komodo. I personally know of a private match between the latest asmFish and Komodo 10.1 - and after about 700 games asmFish was up +90 Elo. I can confirm based on what the tester told me that it was a single thread, Nunn-match tournament at four minute\two second increment. Then you have reputable testers such as Ipman and SPCC clearly showing that Stockfish is stronger. Error margins and the amount of games played may be important; however, there are also things like common sense. The PATTERN of Stockfish's dominance has not changed for months. And that's exactly why Stockfish is now in the superfinal, and it's still undefeated in the TCEC tournament. Stockfish has gained massive strength this year. You should not just shrug off peoples' findings just because they may not be what you want to hear. The patterns speak for themselves.

Look at some of what Ipman wrote concerning his Komodo development versions tested:

28-10-2016

"Getting here Komodo 1730.00 and after first 100games he has it difficult..need for sure a good result in next 100games..
Stockfish 221016 has in mean time 300games and still clear first engine!"

23-10-2016

"Komodo 1714.17 did it not so well and came at same level as K1702 (is removed) and is equal with K10.1
Komodo 1687 is still best version but has played with Dynamism=117
It's amazing but Komodo is already 50Elo behind best Stockfish! a lot improvement is needed!"

Then most recently: 30-10-2016

"Testing Komodo 1730.00 is stopped because not so good results and Komodo 10.2 is released!"

I love Komodo man. In effect, I hope that both you and Larry keep improving it. I love its positional style - and its excellent endgame play. That said, I think even Larry himself sees that Stockfish is on top now. But really, who cares? Just keep adding Elo. That is all that should matter. Stockfish has slowed down over the last few days; it is not impossible to catch Stockfish development over time.
The IPON list now reports Komodo 10.2 gained 22 elo over Komodo 10.1 (exactly matching our estimate in the readme and in our announcement here) with a 43 elo lead over Stockfish 7 at 5' + 3" with ponder on. I know that SF 8 will probably be something like 80 elo above SF 7 in bullet chess, but at IPON levels this may drop to somewhere near the 43 elo SF needs to top the list. In other words, it's too close to call whether Stockfish can regain the top spot if they release now. The Fast GM list has Komodo 10 2 at + 26 elo over Komodo 10.1 in bullet chess, and will probably show a lead of 50 elo or so over SF 7 on the ten minute list once it is available, so Stockfish 8 will have no easy time topping that list either. I readily admit that a new Stockfish will defeat Komodo 10.2 in direct matches (at least at fairly fast time controls), but this will not necessarily put Stockfish at the top of rating lists. Most of the testers seem to feel that performance against a gauntlet of dissimilar strong engines is more relevant than direct matches for judging strength, but of course this is a matter of opinion, not one of fact. Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish, but it may just be something we can't change without hurting Komodo in overall performance. This is also the reason we do poorly on the IPMAN list, which has Komodo playing a zillion different Stockfish versions. It's useful for us to measure our own improvement this way, but it's not useful for predicting whether STockfish or Komodo will do better on lists like IPON, fastgm, Frank's list, CCRL, and CEGT. Doing well on lists like those is our primarily goal.

After 18 more days things have settled out and your predictions and explanations were wrong and insufficient

... I know that SF 8 will probably be something like 80 elo above SF 7 in bullet chess, but at IPON levels this may drop to somewhere near the 43 elo SF needs to top the list. In other words, it's too close to call whether Stockfish can regain the top spot if they release now.
On IPON SF8 is now +39 ELO above K10.2 and +69 to SF7 and not the +43 you predicted


The Fast GM list has Komodo 10 2 at + 26 elo over Komodo 10.1 in bullet chess, and will probably show a lead of 50 elo or so over SF 7 on the ten minute list once it is available, so Stockfish 8 will have no easy time topping that list either.
SF8 +83 over SF 7 on the 10m6s list of Andreas and +30 above K10.2 http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Komodo 10.2 64-bit (+13 to Komodo 10.1) http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
and -15(!) ELO on the 60min +15s list http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=


...Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish,
The only reason Komodo comes second (or third now behind Houdini 5) is because other engines are stronger, in eval in speed and all kind of other things which make an engine stronger

This is also the reason we do poorly on the IPMAN list, which has Komodo playing a zillion different Stockfish versions. It's useful for us to measure our own improvement this way, but it's not useful for predicting whether STockfish or Komodo will do better on lists like IPON, fastgm, Frank's list, CCRL, and CEGT. Doing well on lists like those is our primarily goal.
The high placement of Houdini 5, just behind the latest SFdevs on the Ipman list shows, that this list can very well predict the place of Houdini 5 in second place after SF8 and before K10x on the lists you foremention http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/i7-5960x.php

APassionForCriminalJustic
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:34 pm

beram wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
mjlef wrote:
beram wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
lkaufman wrote:We have released komodo 10.2 at komodochess.com. We estimate based on our testing that it is about 22 elo stronger than komodo 10.1 and about 30 elo stronger than komodo 10 at three minutes plus one second increment, on one or many threads. This is the largest elo gain we have had between versions since going to the subscription model. There were so many changes that it is very difficult to say which ones should get most of the credit. Evaluation, search, and time management were all changed significantly. Features (UCI options) are the same as in komodo 10.1. As usual, it is free to subscribers, and available at a 20% discount to those who bought komodo 9 or a later version.
What _I_ want to see is how this new komodo 10.2 does vs the SF that played in stage 3 of TCEC, OR, the version of SF that played in Graham Banks matches between sf and komodo.

It is very frustrating to have two moving targets at the same time.

e.g. let's say komodo beats ASM, how will we know if the older SF version, which Graham used, wouldn't have crushed komodo 10.2 like it did to komodo 10.1?

We should first test a moving target with a standing target before we go on to the second moving target.
I think we'll do ok relative to stockfish in tests like Frank's where each opponent plays against many other opponents, but we will not look so good in direct matches with Stockfish. The reasons for this are not all clear, although "Contempt" is a factor. It's up to each person to decide whether a direct match or a rr tournament is a better way to decide which of two engines is stronger. There are arguments both ways.
Well perhaps you did relatively OK in the past but nowadays... this was latest result by Frank. A clear win for SF 180916 against all, Komodo 10 and 10.1 included
(and besides Komodo 10.1 was performing 11 ELO points below K10 in his Test)
http://www.amateurschach.de/main/cross-tab/v438.htm

Code: Select all

1	SF 18Sep2016 BMI2 x64 C10	xxxxx	33.0	39.0	38.5	36.0	40.0	37.0	36.0	39.5	42.0	39.0	42.5	41.5	42.5	42.5
2	Komodo 10 x64	17.0	xxxxx	32.0	37.0	40.0	36.5	37.0	37.0	40.5	41.0	40.5	36.5	42.0	39.5	39.0
3	Houdini 4 STD B x64	11.0	18.0	xxxxx	26.5	26.0	27.5	32.5	29.5	30.5	34.0	32.0	33.0	28.5	32.0	38.0
4	Fire 4 x64	11.5	13.0	23.5	xxxxx	23.5	25.0	25.0	26.5	32.0	28.5	31.0	29.0	32.5	31.5	32.0
5	GullChess 3.0 BMI2 x64	14.0	10.0	24.0	26.5	xxxxx	31.0	23.5	24.5	28.0	30.5	30.0	32.0	26.5	31.5	32.5
6	Andscacs 0.872 BMI2 x64	10.0	13.5	22.5	25.0	19.0	xxxxx	26.0	25.0	26.0	23.5	26.5	31.5	25.0	28.5	31.0
7	Equinox 3.30 x64	13.0	13.0	17.5	25.0	26.5	24.0	xxxxx	24.0	23.5	26.0	29.0	27.5	28.5	32.5	30.5
8	Fizbo 1.8 BMI2 x64	14.0	13.0	20.5	23.5	25.5	25.0	26.0	xxxxx	29.5	23.5	25.5	27.0	28.0	30.5	29.0
9	Critter 1.6a x64	10.5	9.5	19.5	18.0	22.0	24.0	26.5	20.5	xxxxx	24.0	27.5	26.5	28.0	29.5	28.5
10	Fritz 15 x64	8.0	9.0	16.0	21.5	19.5	26.5	24.0	26.5	26.0	xxxxx	26.5	22.5	25.0	26.5	24.0
11	Nirvanachess 2.3 POP x64	11.0	9.5	18.0	19.0	20.0	23.5	21.0	24.5	22.5	23.5	xxxxx	26.5	27.0	28.5	22.5
12	Hannibal 1.7 x64	7.5	13.5	17.0	21.0	18.0	18.5	22.5	23.0	23.5	27.5	23.5	xxxxx	24.0	24.0	29.5
13	Chiron 3 x64	8.5	8.0	21.5	17.5	23.5	25.0	21.5	22.0	22.0	25.0	23.0	26.0	xxxxx	21.5	22.0
14	Protector 1.9.0 x64	7.5	10.5	18.0	18.5	18.5	21.5	17.5	19.5	20.5	23.5	21.5	26.0	28.5	xxxxx	24.0
15	Texel 1.06 x64	7.5	11.0	12.0	18.0	17.5	19.0	19.5	21.0	21.5	26.0	27.5	20.5	28.0	26.0	xxxxx
You are using as evident a run with a May 2016 version of Komodo (Komodo 10) versus a September 2016 version of Stockfish?

Also, as I understand, in the recent run with K 10.2, Contempt was improperly set to 15. 15 is a reasonable value for running against a larger number of mostly weaker opponents. A match against Stockfish or other Komodo versions should use a Contempt of 0.
The issue Mark is that every single tester keeps coming out with results that clearly show that Stockfish is stronger than Komodo. I personally know of a private match between the latest asmFish and Komodo 10.1 - and after about 700 games asmFish was up +90 Elo. I can confirm based on what the tester told me that it was a single thread, Nunn-match tournament at four minute\two second increment. Then you have reputable testers such as Ipman and SPCC clearly showing that Stockfish is stronger. Error margins and the amount of games played may be important; however, there are also things like common sense. The PATTERN of Stockfish's dominance has not changed for months. And that's exactly why Stockfish is now in the superfinal, and it's still undefeated in the TCEC tournament. Stockfish has gained massive strength this year. You should not just shrug off peoples' findings just because they may not be what you want to hear. The patterns speak for themselves.

Look at some of what Ipman wrote concerning his Komodo development versions tested:

28-10-2016

"Getting here Komodo 1730.00 and after first 100games he has it difficult..need for sure a good result in next 100games..
Stockfish 221016 has in mean time 300games and still clear first engine!"

23-10-2016

"Komodo 1714.17 did it not so well and came at same level as K1702 (is removed) and is equal with K10.1
Komodo 1687 is still best version but has played with Dynamism=117
It's amazing but Komodo is already 50Elo behind best Stockfish! a lot improvement is needed!"

Then most recently: 30-10-2016

"Testing Komodo 1730.00 is stopped because not so good results and Komodo 10.2 is released!"

I love Komodo man. In effect, I hope that both you and Larry keep improving it. I love its positional style - and its excellent endgame play. That said, I think even Larry himself sees that Stockfish is on top now. But really, who cares? Just keep adding Elo. That is all that should matter. Stockfish has slowed down over the last few days; it is not impossible to catch Stockfish development over time.
The IPON list now reports Komodo 10.2 gained 22 elo over Komodo 10.1 (exactly matching our estimate in the readme and in our announcement here) with a 43 elo lead over Stockfish 7 at 5' + 3" with ponder on. I know that SF 8 will probably be something like 80 elo above SF 7 in bullet chess, but at IPON levels this may drop to somewhere near the 43 elo SF needs to top the list. In other words, it's too close to call whether Stockfish can regain the top spot if they release now. The Fast GM list has Komodo 10 2 at + 26 elo over Komodo 10.1 in bullet chess, and will probably show a lead of 50 elo or so over SF 7 on the ten minute list once it is available, so Stockfish 8 will have no easy time topping that list either. I readily admit that a new Stockfish will defeat Komodo 10.2 in direct matches (at least at fairly fast time controls), but this will not necessarily put Stockfish at the top of rating lists. Most of the testers seem to feel that performance against a gauntlet of dissimilar strong engines is more relevant than direct matches for judging strength, but of course this is a matter of opinion, not one of fact. Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish, but it may just be something we can't change without hurting Komodo in overall performance. This is also the reason we do poorly on the IPMAN list, which has Komodo playing a zillion different Stockfish versions. It's useful for us to measure our own improvement this way, but it's not useful for predicting whether STockfish or Komodo will do better on lists like IPON, fastgm, Frank's list, CCRL, and CEGT. Doing well on lists like those is our primarily goal.

After 18 more days things have settled out and your predictions and explanations were wrong and insufficient

... I know that SF 8 will probably be something like 80 elo above SF 7 in bullet chess, but at IPON levels this may drop to somewhere near the 43 elo SF needs to top the list. In other words, it's too close to call whether Stockfish can regain the top spot if they release now.
On IPON SF8 is now +39 ELO above K10.2 and +69 to SF7 and not the +43 you predicted


The Fast GM list has Komodo 10 2 at + 26 elo over Komodo 10.1 in bullet chess, and will probably show a lead of 50 elo or so over SF 7 on the ten minute list once it is available, so Stockfish 8 will have no easy time topping that list either.
SF8 +83 over SF 7 on the 10m6s list of Andreas and +30 above K10.2 http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Komodo 10.2 64-bit (+13 to Komodo 10.1) http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
and -15(!) ELO on the 60min +15s list http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=


...Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish,
The only reason Komodo comes second (or third now behind Houdini 5) is because other engines are stronger, in eval in speed and all kind of other things which make an engine stronger

This is also the reason we do poorly on the IPMAN list, which has Komodo playing a zillion different Stockfish versions. It's useful for us to measure our own improvement this way, but it's not useful for predicting whether STockfish or Komodo will do better on lists like IPON, fastgm, Frank's list, CCRL, and CEGT. Doing well on lists like those is our primarily goal.
The high placement of Houdini 5, just behind the latest SFdevs on the Ipman list shows, that this list can very well predict the place of Houdini 5 in second place after SF8 and before K10x on the lists you foremention http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/i7-5960x.php
I agree with you 100 percent. I'm going to continue your argument a little bit. According to a private tester who I greatly trust, over 1500 games between asmFish 8 and Komodo 10.2 single thread at four minute two second increment shows a scoring percentage of 61+ percent for Stockfish. Right now the ELO difference is 81 ELO. The percentages have been extremely consistent. The tournament is completely fair as both engines get to play the same opening with both colours. So what else is there to say? I don't get this, "we don't know why Komodo underperforms versus Stockfish" argument. It "underperforms" because it's expected to since it is a weaker engine. If we really want to look at the numbers then look at CEGT. Look CEGT's 40/4 or 40/20 lists. Komodo is clearly weaker - and it truly shows. In fact even Houdini 5 looks to be stronger than Komodo. Therefore it does not appear that Houdini making it to the Superfinal was just "luck".
&#8206;
I also believe that this gauntlet is better to prove which engine is stronger is complete BS. It's all about head to head matches. But even then, what difference does it make? The rating lists still show Komodo lagging behind.

The truth is out there; the games speak for themselves. Nobody will fool me. That said, &#8206;I hope that both Mark and Larry keep working and improving Komodo because it is a terrific engine. These guys have provided all of us with an extremely strong engine - and we really need as much engine competition as feasibly possible IMHO.

Really I need to say something here. Look at this: "Someday we'll figure out why Komodo underperforms against Stockfish, but it may just be something we can't change without hurting Komodo in overall performance".&#8206;

That is exactly what disgusts me.&#8206; Why does there need to be any reason other than your engine being weaker?! Lol. That's crazy. Heck, maybe all engine authors who have weaker engines should just say, "there might be something that we can't change that is not allowing us to beat other engines". There is something. It's called ELO.

Cheers,

Adam

User avatar
Evert
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: Komodo 10.2 released.

Post by Evert » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:11 pm

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Why does there need to be any reason other than your engine being weaker?! Lol. That's crazy. Heck, maybe all engine authors who have weaker engines should just say, "there might be something that we can't change that is not allowing us to beat other engines". There is something. It's called ELO.
Brilliant. So the only follow-up to the observation "it's weaker" you can think of is "make it stronger".
Did it occur to you that to do that it helps to know why it's weaker in the first place?

Post Reply