Stockfish Crazyhouse Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Stockfish Crazyhouse Engine

Post by hgm »

styx wrote:Sadly I can only provide a Linux binary. Normally cross compiling Stockfish is a piece of cake, but if I try to do it with mingw with the multivariant code, I get several errors

here is the linux version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiuzm6adndlm7 ... ar.gz?dl=0
Well, thank you for the effort. Unfortunately it doesn't run for me. Probably for the same reason I cannot compile it. Complains about not having the required versions of GLIBCXX.
styx

Post by styx »

same error with the windows version I provided minutes ago?
JManion

Post by JManion »

styx wrote:
JManion wrote:Ok I just tried one more thing.

Ijust tried to add stockfish8zh.

I went to load first engine and selected the sf8zh

I clicked force current variant button and UCCI button.

This time it didnt crash/give me an error.

However when I click on analysis mode nothing happens.
Have you copied the new UCI2WB.exe in your winboard directory und started winboard once wit additional

Code: Select all

-uxiAdapter {UCI2WB -%variant %fcp %fd}
you could do it using a file shortcut and adding the code like this:

C:\WinBoard-4.8.0\WinBoard\winboard.exe -uxiAdapter {UCI2WB -%variant %fcp %fd}
example (sorry, german windows dialog):

Ah I did not do the 2nd part.

Your picture was very helpful.

I added that line and started winboard.

I went to load first engine and selected the sf8zh

I clicked force current variant button and UCCI button.

I got an error.

Failed to start first chess program localhost stockfish no such file or directory.

Yet I see the file and the directory.

winboard hates me... :cry:
styx

Post by styx »

you just got the wrong path or engine name

are you sure the engine name (red) is correct?:

"StockfishZH_8-64" -fcp "stockfishZH_8-64.exe" -fd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern" -fUCCI -variant crazyhouse

if you downloaded my binary, the engine name should be more like this:

"StockfishZH_8-64" -fcp "stockfish8zh_x64_modern.exe" -fd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern" -fUCCI -variant crazyhouse
this of course only works, if the engine .exe lies within the above mentioned path "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern\"
JManion

Post by JManion »

styx wrote:you just got the wrong path or engine name

"StockfishZH_8-64" -fcp "stockfishZH_8-64.exe" -fd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern" -fUCCI -variant crazyhouse

"StockfishZH_8-64" -fcp "stockfish8zh_x64_modern.exe" -fd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern" -fUCCI -variant crazyhouse
this of course only works, if the engine .exe lies within the above mentioned path "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern"
I took some screen shots but I was not sure how to add them to my post.
hgm

Post by hgm »

styx wrote:same error with the windows version I provided minutes ago?
Ah, I missed that. But this one works!

As a result, I have now pushed a commit to implement support for 'engine-defined variants' in UCI2WB to the winboard.nl repository. This should allow you to play 'variant horde' under XBoard, provided that you have legality testing switched off. (Current XBoards do not work with legality testing on when one of the players has no King; due to sloppiness in the test for self-explosion in Atomic they would consider all moves of such a player illegal.)

[Edit] I now also updated the Windows executable for this
( http://hgm.nubati.net/UCI2WB.exe again).
Last edited by hgm on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgm

Post by hgm »

JManion wrote:
styx wrote:you just got the wrong path or engine name

this of course only works, if the engine .exe lies within the above mentioned path "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBoard-4.8.0\stockfish8zh_x64_modern"
I took some screen shots but I was not sure how to add them to my post.
Note that the correct setting is really

-uxiAdapter {UCI2WB -%variant "%fcp" "%fd"}

with quotes around the %fcp and %fd, because otherwise you could expect problems when either -fcp or -fd have spaces in them. This could very well be the source of your problems here.

I am not quite convinced a shortcut will do any good here, as you only have to specify the -uxiAdapter once, and WinBoard will remember it forever. So it seems much less work to just write it in WinBoard's Startup Dialog as an 'Additional option'. Shortcuts is what you do if you want to do the same thing many times.
styx

Post by styx »

hgm wrote:
styx wrote:same error with the windows version I provided minutes ago?
Ah, I missed that. But this one works!

As a result, I have now pushed a commit to implement support for 'engine-defined variants' in UCI2WB to the winboard.nl repository. This should allow you to play 'variant horde' under XBoard, provided that you have legality testing switched off. (Current XBoards do not work with legality testing on when one of the players has no King; due to sloppiness in the test for self-explosion in Atomic they would consider all moves of such a player illegal.)

[Edit] I now also updated the Windows executable for this
( http://hgm.nubati.net/UCI2WB.exe again).
unfortunately it's not working for linux. not only horde is not working, but no variant. the engine does not start thinking.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Oops. :oops: I retyped the line I tested for Windows in Linux, because it is such a hassle to transfer files between the machines. But I goofed, and flushed the wrong output channel, towards the GUI instead of towards the engine,so that the commands to the engine never got there before UCI2WB started waiting for the reply.

I fixed it in the repository now.
JManion

Post by JManion »

HGM and Andreas thank you very much for the help, and patience! I finally got it working! :D