Crafty 25.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tobber

Re: Crafty 25.2

Post by Tobber »

Tobber wrote:Hi

I have a problem running engine-engine matches with Crafty. Tried under Arena and Winboard but the behaviour is the same, when it comes out of the book it start to search but never moves, the time will run out. Are there some parameters needed in the setup?

Thanks
John
It turned out to be the rc file that for some reason was corrupt. When I ran Crafty in a command window it looked like it added the text "Exit" to every rc option.
I deleted the Exit row and added it again and now it works.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Tobber wrote:

I have a problem running engine-engine matches with Crafty. Tried under Arena and Winboard but the behaviour is the same, when it comes out of the book it start to search but never moves, the time will run out. Are there some parameters needed in the setup?

Thanks
John
It turned out to be the rc file that for some reason was corrupt. When I ran Crafty in a command window it looked like it added the text "Exit" to every rc option.
Wasn't there an issue when there was no new line at the end of the rc file?
Somehow this rings a bell from far past in my memory.
adnoh
Full name: Charles Wong

Post by adnoh »

Guenther wrote:
Tobber wrote:

Thanks
John
Correct that a newline is required and mine definitely has one.

In my situation same GUI and RC file, 25.1 works and 25.2 does not play.
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

I have the same problem mentioned earlier in this thread when using Crafty 25.2 in the Fritz 13 GUI.
The first game between Crafty 25.2 and Fritz plays ok but Crafty does not restart to play a second game with colours reversed.
I am using Wb2Uci.exe to convert Crafty to UCI for the Fritz GUI.
There was no problem previously with Crafty 23.6 with Wb2Uci.exe in Fritz 13 GUI.
I could not find anything in the Wb2Uci documentation to force an engine restart after each game, or in the Fritz help windows.
I have no such problems with Crafty 25.2 in the Arena GUI, since I always have the box "restart engines after each game" ticked, for all engines.

Crafty 17.11 was the very first engine that I used after I discovered Winboard and all the other free engines available about 16 years ago.
I have used 19 different versions of Crafty since then in my many engine-engine matches.
I originally joined this forum to ask about the error message concerning "cache" being an invalid parameter in the Crafty config file, but by the time my application to join was approved, it had already been commented on in an earlier post in another thread.
bob

Post by bob »

Colin-G wrote:I have the same problem mentioned earlier in this thread when using Crafty 25.2 in the Fritz 13 GUI.
The first game between Crafty 25.2 and Fritz plays ok but Crafty does not restart to play a second game with colours reversed.
I am using Wb2Uci.exe to convert Crafty to UCI for the Fritz GUI.
There was no problem previously with Crafty 23.6 with Wb2Uci.exe in Fritz 13 GUI.
I could not find anything in the Wb2Uci documentation to force an engine restart after each game, or in the Fritz help windows.
I have no such problems with Crafty 25.2 in the Arena GUI, since I always have the box "restart engines after each game" ticked, for all engines.

Crafty 17.11 was the very first engine that I used after I discovered Winboard and all the other free engines available about 16 years ago.
I have used 19 different versions of Crafty since then in my many engine-engine matches.
I originally joined this forum to ask about the error message concerning "cache" being an invalid parameter in the Crafty config file, but by the time my application to join was approved, it had already been commented on in an earlier post in another thread.
Does the fritz GUI give you the option to restart the engine for each new game? That will solve it. Apparently they did not implement the winboard protocol version 2.
bob

Post by bob »

Graham Banks wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:swindle off
As a sidenote, I don't see a reason to switch swindle off. If it can be maintained without risk, one should never reduce the opponent's chances to fail :mrgreen:
Bob can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked to be off by default.
It is on in the source (data.c int swindle = 1;)
bob

Post by bob »

adnoh wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Tobber wrote:

Thanks
John
Correct that a newline is required and mine definitely has one.

In my situation same GUI and RC file, 25.1 works and 25.2 does not play.
I am pretty sure it is because whatever GUI you are using has not correctly implemented the winboard version 2 protocol correctly. If you have a GUI option to say "always restart the chess engine for each new game" which would also solve this. xboard has such an option, although the "feature reuse=0" allows the engine to set that as it should.
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

bob wrote: Does the fritz GUI give you the option to restart the engine for each new game? That will solve it. Apparently they did not implement the winboard protocol version 2.
I had a good look around for a setting to restart engines in engine match for Fritz 13 GUI, but could not find one.

Regarding the cache for use with Syzygy files, there was a line in Jon Dart's Arasan 19.2 config file, arasan.rc, that says
"# Note: Syzygy does not have an associated cache size."
I also note that 2 of my other engines that use Syzygy files, Stockfish 8 and Komodo 8, do not have any setting for cache size.
Do Syzygy tablebases not require some cache memory as Gaviota and Nalimov tablebases do?
Or is it assumed that everyone is using SSDs with fast read access instead?
bob

Post by bob »

Colin-G wrote:
bob wrote: Does the fritz GUI give you the option to restart the engine for each new game? That will solve it. Apparently they did not implement the winboard protocol version 2.
I had a good look around for a setting to restart engines in engine match for Fritz 13 GUI, but could not find one.

Regarding the cache for use with Syzygy files, there was a line in Jon Dart's Arasan 19.2 config file, arasan.rc, that says
"# Note: Syzygy does not have an associated cache size."
I also note that 2 of my other engines that use Syzygy files, Stockfish 8 and Komodo 8, do not have any setting for cache size.
Do Syzygy tablebases not require some cache memory as Gaviota and Nalimov tablebases do?
It has a cache, it just apparently was not written to be dynamic in size. Will try to address that in the next release.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Colin-G wrote:Do Syzygy tablebases not require some cache memory as Gaviota and Nalimov tablebases do?
Syzygy let's the operating system supply the cache. Providing your own would be wasteful.
Deasil is the right way to go.