What's the longest checkmate that makes sense?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

What's the longest checkmate that makes sense?

Post by Ozymandias »

Bishop + Knight is mate in less than 50 moves, and it makes sense, there's a method you can apply.

Is there something in the longer checkmates, that TBs have found out, we can actually use? If there is, FIDE should really be thinking about upgrading the rule.
velmarin

Re: What's the longest checkmate that makes sense?

Post by velmarin »

Ozymandias wrote:Bishop + Knight is mate in less than 50 moves, and it makes sense, there's a method you can apply.

Is there something in the longer checkmates, that TBs have found out, we can actually use? If there is, FIDE should really be thinking about upgrading the rule.
FIDE thinks the human concept.
By to three repetitions? It is somewhat similar.
Or a king stalemate.
The player must prevent these situations.
It is part of chess.

Code: Select all

When we were kids,
When we did in football three consecutive corners are marked a penalty.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

velmarin wrote:FIDE thinks the human concept.
This thread is about that. But a "yes", means the "human concept" must be rethought, because we have then learnt something new.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Ozymandias wrote:Bishop + Knight is mate in less than 50 moves, and it makes sense, there's a method you can apply.

They tried that. It was a mess, so now the rule is back to 50 moves. You could lobby FIDE to change it, but I hope you won't.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Dirt wrote:

They tried that. It was a mess, so now the rule is back to 50 moves. You could lobby FIDE to change it, but I hope you won't.
I'm just waiting for an informed answer to my question. If it were "yes", it shouldn't be a mess.
Ajedrecista

Re: What is the longest checkmate that makes sense?

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Juan:

What about the 'Troitsky line' in NN vs. P endgame?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_knights_endgame

There is something in that page about 115 moves and 50-move rule. This kind of endgame might follow a method.

------------

Regarding the outrageous football rule mentioned before, it is the first time I hear about it... And I have played football lots of times when I was a child.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

That kid football rule is universal.. doh
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Ajedrecista wrote:What about the 'Troitsky line' in NN vs. P endgame.
That would be a good example, if positions of that kind can be discovered in TBs, to the point where they begin to influence the result of a good percentage of games, it doesn't make much sense to impose the 50-move rue, at least at master level.
Rochester

Post by Rochester »

They find the 115 mater hundreds year ago.
Then they already upgrade the rule you ask in 1928. Our granddaddies asked for it yes?

Then it become a mess because the computers find more. Every time they change the ruler. But nobody can understand the database move.

They change rule in 1992. Now it always same same.
50 moves is enough for everybody.

Even the world champion don't know the mater with Bishop and the Knight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFF5ibgB6eA

Ask the old people. They are in the knowing.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Rochester wrote: Even the world champion don't know the mater with Bishop and the Knight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFF5ibgB6eA

Ask the old people. They are in the knowing.
if you do not know the technique is looking ahead 4-5 moves not enough to stop the king escaping?