Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Fritz Benchmarks Leaked

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Fritz Benchmarks Leaked

Post by Sean Evans »

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Leaked, Overclocked To 5.0 GHz – Great Performance For A Minor Clock Bump

Intel Core i7-7700K Benchmarks Leaked – Both at Reference and Overclocked Speeds

The Core i7-7700K is the top brass of the Kaby Lake processor family. It is based on the existing 14nm process node which has seen improvements due to a matured manufacturing technique. Intel calls the optimized node 14nm+ (Plus). These process improvements result in better clock gains under the same TDP headroom as Skylake.

Kaby Lake gets most of its architectural hierarchy from Skylake and next to no gains in the IPC department. The performance improvement comes solely from the clock speed bump but is it enough to compensate for the new processor lineup? Let’s find out.

Intel Core i7-7700K – The Fastest Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor:

The Intel Core i7-7700K processor is the fastest Core i7 chip in the Kaby Lake lineup. This chip features a quad core, multi-threaded design. The chip is based on the latest 14nm Plus process node which delivers improved efficiency and performance on the existing 14nm FinFET technology. The clock speeds are rated 4.2 GHz base and 4.5 GHz boost. The processor packs 8 MB of L3 cache and has a TDP of 91W. The Core i7-7700K CPU will retail at $349 US.

Intel Core i7-7700K Leaked Benchmarks:

FRITZ Benchmark Tests

Intel Core i7-6700K (Stock) Fritz Chess 16050 Points

Intel Core i7-7700K (Stock) Fritz Chess 17049 Points

Intel Core i7-7700K (5.0 GHz) Fritz Chess 19891 Points

MORE AT THE ARTICLE
jmartus

Re: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Fritz Benchmarks Leake

Post by jmartus »

When is the release date?
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

R:

Post by Paloma »

Last edited by Paloma on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

.... which is going to launch on 5th January at CES 2017
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Sean Evans wrote:Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Leaked, Overclocked To 5.0 GHz – Great Performance For A Minor Clock Bump

Intel Core i7-7700K Benchmarks Leaked – Both at Reference and Overclocked Speeds

The Core i7-7700K is the top brass of the Kaby Lake processor family. It is based on the existing 14nm process node which has seen improvements due to a matured manufacturing technique. Intel calls the optimized node 14nm+ (Plus). These process improvements result in better clock gains under the same TDP headroom as Skylake.

Kaby Lake gets most of its architectural hierarchy from Skylake and next to no gains in the IPC department. The performance improvement comes solely from the clock speed bump but is it enough to compensate for the new processor lineup? Let’s find out.

Intel Core i7-7700K – The Fastest Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor:

The Intel Core i7-7700K processor is the fastest Core i7 chip in the Kaby Lake lineup. This chip features a quad core, multi-threaded design. The chip is based on the latest 14nm Plus process node which delivers improved efficiency and performance on the existing 14nm FinFET technology. The clock speeds are rated 4.2 GHz base and 4.5 GHz boost. The processor packs 8 MB of L3 cache and has a TDP of 91W. The Core i7-7700K CPU will retail at $349 US.

Intel Core i7-7700K Leaked Benchmarks:

FRITZ Benchmark Tests

Intel Core i7-6700K (Stock) Fritz Chess 16050 Points

Intel Core i7-7700K (Stock) Fritz Chess 17049 Points

Intel Core i7-7700K (5.0 GHz) Fritz Chess 19891 Points

MORE AT THE ARTICLE
Sandy Bridge January 2011:
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 5.20 GHz Fritz Chess 15516 Points

In 6 years 25% improvement. Intel monopoly brought stagnation, and overpricing of i5 and i7 CPUs, especially older ones, which usually decline in price, but not now. If I had the possibility to buy a Sandy Bridge i7 for half the price, I would surely go for them instead of this "top notch" crap Kaby Lake. All Intel seems to do is to lower power consumption and keeping monopoly high pricing. Hope AMD comes to challenge these crooks at Intel.

BTW, I have a Haswell i7, and it overclocks much worse than this old i7 2600k Sandy Bridge. Haswell actually works at nominal capacity at higher temperatures than Sandy Bridge. True, consumes less, but can they give me a break with power consumption?
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Laskos"]
Sandy Bridge January 2011:
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 5.20 GHz Fritz Chess 15516 Points
In 6 years 25% improvement. Intel monopoly brought stagnation, and overpricing of i5 and i7 CPUs, especially older ones, which usually decline in price, but not now. If I had the possibility to buy a Sandy Bridge i7 for half the price, I would surely go for them instead of this "top notch" crap Kaby Lake. All Intel seems to do is to lower power consumption and keeping monopoly high pricing. Hope AMD comes to challenge these crooks at Intel.
BTW, I have a Haswell i7, and it overclocks much worse than this old i7 2600k Sandy Bridge. Haswell actually works at nominal capacity at higher temperatures than Sandy Bridge. True, consumes less, but can they give me a break with power consumption?
[/quote]

The criticism is established but there is no any Intel processor around 5 GHz what can be used for daily works. I am afraid that Kabylake is the same. With a very good cooler the real max clock speed is around 4.5 GHz for daily using. The main advantage of Sandy Bridge is its platinum plate between dye and processor cover. In the later processors Intel replaces platinum with thermal paste or polymer. Because of this the newer ones can not overclock like Sandy Bridge can be did.
In reality with the same cores and clock speed the newer Intel processors give only 5-10 % increase in speed for a user of engines with popcount.
Some plus growth may arise from BMI ("Haswell") codes.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Comments like "All Intel seems to do is lower power consumption...etc"

Hey, lets be honest here - that's been 'the future', smaller and less power...not more ghz. For most all general purpose, 'more' Ghz is overrated. Intel has simply been doing the smart thing.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

leavenfish wrote:Comments like "All Intel seems to do is lower power consumption...etc"

Hey, lets be honest here - that's been 'the future', smaller and less power...not more ghz. For most all general purpose, 'more' Ghz is overrated. Intel has simply been doing the smart thing.
If power consumption is all that Intel cares, then A10 Fusion from Apple is the level with laptop i5 from Intel, and consumes 4 times less. What Intel comes in terms of power user with i7 are 8- or 10-core exorbitantly expensive chips.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Laskos wrote:
leavenfish wrote:Comments like "All Intel seems to do is lower power consumption...etc"

If power consumption is all that Intel cares, then A10 Fusion from Apple is the level with laptop i5 from Intel, and consumes 4 times less. What Intel comes in terms of power user with i7 are 8- or 10-core exorbitantly expensive chips.
And I am not at all disagreeing...just saying they are doing what is smart for their business.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Thanks for that info. I am always looking for the best chess CPU. I am looking forward to the AMD (naples) zen 32 core server.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.