Stockfish 8.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Stockfish 8.1

Post by MikeB »

No, it is not the official 'Stockfish 8.1' , in fact I'm pretty sure that there will never be an "official" Stockfish 8.1 ever. It's just that I am transitioning to releasing master and modified versions of Stockfish for macOS users on a more infrequent basis - not more than once a month and possibly longer and decided to number them x.y , with the "x" representing the last official release and the "y" representing the developmental builds as I release those going forward.

You will find the 3 releases ( master, variant and sse) with links to their respective sources and macOS exe's here:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/releases

If anyone compiles window versions of the three releases, I will be happy to add them to the GitHub web page.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: Stockfish 8.1

Post by kinderchocolate »

Thanks. Really appreciated. Did you merge the changes from Daniel's Github into Stockfish 8.1?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

kinderchocolate wrote:Thanks. Really appreciated. Did you merge the changes from Daniel's Github into Stockfish 8.1?
Yes, it has the latest changes from about 5 or 6 hours ago.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

MikeB wrote:No, it is not the official 'Stockfish 8.1'
Sorry but this is really confusing.

This project has nothing to do with SF official branch, so I kindly ask you to find a name that clearly cannot misleade the users (that do not read this post in talkchess).

We have asmfish, Cfish, etc... Call it Mikefish or something else but please don't use Stockfish name for it.

It is really not fair and not correct to fork a project, modify and then publish it keeping the same name of the original, this never happens in open source. I kindly invite you to educate yourself on how open source works and understand that what you have done should not be done.
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

mcostalba wrote:
MikeB wrote:No, it is not the official 'Stockfish 8.1'
please don't use Stockfish name for it.
I totally agree!
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="mcostalba"]

Sorry but this is really confusing.

This project has nothing to do with SF official branch, so I kindly ask you to find a name that clearly cannot misleade the users (that do not read this post in talkchess).

We have asmfish, Cfish, etc... Call it Mikefish or something else but please don't use Stockfish name for it.

It is really not fair and not correct to fork a project, modify and then publish it keeping the same name of the original, this never happens in open source. I kindly invite you to educate yourself on how open source works and understand that what you have done should not be done.
[/quote]

I agree.
BBauer

Post by BBauer »

@ Mikel Byrne
Please do not misuse others work.

Kind regards
Bernhard
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote:No, it is not the official 'Stockfish 8.1' , in fact I'm pretty sure that there will never be an "official" Stockfish 8.1 ever. It's just that I am transitioning to releasing master and modified versions of Stockfish for macOS users on a more infrequent basis - not more than once a month and possibly longer and decided to number them x.y , with the "x" representing the last official release and the "y" representing the developmental builds as I release those going forward.

You will find the 3 releases ( master, variant and sse) with links to their respective sources and macOS exe's here:

If anyone compiles window versions of the three releases, I will be happy to add them to the GitHub web page.
Updated with a new name to help lessen the confusion with official stockfish which I apologize for:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Macfish/releases

Hopefully everyone notices that full attribution is given (and was always given) to the actual authors - which is not me, except for the Ladder options and other small changes which are included in the sse and variant versions.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

MikeB wrote: Updated with a new name to help lessen the confusion with official stockfish which I apologize for:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Macfish/releases
Thanks, appreciate that.
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Did same name thing with Ordo iirc.