Chessbase.com: Houdini wins TCEC, Season 9 with 56.0/62

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jesse Gersenson

Chessbase.com: Houdini wins TCEC, Season 9 with 56.0/62

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

New: Houdini 5 - stronger than ever
12/4/2016 – Robert Houdart, creator of Houdini, has worked for three years to develop a new version of Houdini. Which can boast of a remarkable increase in strength: thanks to a number of new and improved functions the Houdini 5 is 200 Elo points stronger than its predecessor. Which shows. A not yet fully developed version of Houdini 5 won the "Top Chess Engine Championship" (TCEC, Season 9) with 56.0/62 - 50 wins, 12 draws.
stavros

Re: Chessbase.com: Houdini wins TCEC, Season 9 with 56.0/62

Post by stavros »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
12/4/2016 – Robert Houdart, creator of Houdini, has worked for three years to develop a new version of Houdini. Which can boast of a remarkable increase in strength: thanks to a number of new and improved functions the Houdini 5 is 200 Elo points stronger than its predecessor. Which shows. A not yet fully developed version of Houdini 5 won the "Top Chess Engine Championship" (TCEC, Season 9) with 56.0/62 - 50 wins, 12 draws.
maybe your mistake, houdini won the rapid tourney only! and not the tcec9 final
otherwise if the text bove is the correct one from chessbase is just laughable
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

They mean the rapid tournament ....

It's an advertisement after all :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

The Houdini 5 Pro shop page says "Rapid", the blurb on the front page that links to it does not.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
I don't care what league you're in - 56/62 is pretty damn impressive.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

MikeB wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:
not against the likes of Firefly and Fridolin, and with contempt/drawscore on.

to be fully objective though, the last time I checked Komodo site it also claimed Komodo being first on all the major rating lists, referencing just 2.

maybe it is time for SF to write on their page SF is strongest engine in the world, too, they abandoned this privilege couple of years ago, for rigth or for wrong, but who knows how long they are going to stay first? :)
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:

to be fully objective though, the last time I checked Komodo site it also claimed Komodo being first on all the major rating lists, referencing just 2.

maybe it is time for SF to write on their page SF is strongest engine in the world, too, they abandoned this privilege couple of years ago, for rigth or for wrong, but who knows how long they are going to stay first? :)
When Komodo was on the top of all the major rating lists we referenced around 3 of them (a giant list is overkill in my opinion). When we move on or off the top of the lists, I try to keep our website updated. But I am concerned about your "the last time I checked". It is like complaining about claims we removed from our we site when the rating lists were updated. Instead of quotint what you remember from the past, please check out our site and comment on that. We try to keep the site up to date as much as we can (given that there is always going to be a little time delay due to different time zones). Basically I think all web sites that make product claims need to keep them up to date and not spread factually inaccurate information. Any chess engine claiming to be the best needs to backup that claim with the data they are using so a customer is not mislead and can make an informed decision.
stavros

Post by stavros »

mjlef wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:

When Komodo was on the top of all the major rating lists we referenced around 3 of them (a giant list is overkill in my opinion). When we move on or off the top of the lists, I try to keep our website updated. But I am concerned about your "the last time I checked". It is like complaining about claims we removed from our we site when the rating lists were updated. Instead of quotint what you remember from the past, please check out our site and comment on that. We try to keep the site up to date as much as we can (given that there is always going to be a little time delay due to different time zones). Basically I think all web sites that make product claims need to keep them up to date and not spread factually inaccurate information. Any chess engine claiming to be the best needs to backup that claim with the data they are using so a customer is not mislead and can make an informed decision.

well said and fairness from mark +1000
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

mjlef wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:

that is not an issue for me, Mark.

I have never doubted your straigthforwardness.

it is true, if I remember correctly, that a while ago (maybe a month or so) Komodo site, if I remember correctly, said 'number 1 in all major rating lists', but now it says 'rated number 1 by major rating lists'. :)

I think currently your site is fully in line with the factual situation, though, the former version, referencing just 2 lists, maybe was a tiny bit off. ( I hope you are not angered, that is how I see it)

but that is not a real isuue for me, nor for the community, I guess. I replied, only because Jesse started the thread.