How i s Komodo getting on? (now, end of December 2016)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: How i s Komodo getting on? (now, end of December 2016)

Post by mjlef »

Thanks. I did not know that. I will experiment a bit with it even if it is a bit "buggy".
gogamoga

Post by gogamoga »

10.3 still not been able to find Keres attack. It looks like grandmaster evaluation doesn't pay off :)
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

gogamoga wrote:10.3 still not been able to find Keres attack. It looks like grandmaster evaluation doesn't pay off :)
makes you wonder why they even bother! :wink:
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

I think you are talking about , g4 in Keres attack in Sicilian. Do you have any proof that it is superior than the other lines? Is that a forced win? I saw a few games in TCEC that Stockfish won with g4 but it has little value to support your judgement. Why I am saying this? Because chess (32 pieces TB) will have large margins/ rooms to choose before it ends as draw(similar to 7 men TB where there are tons of moves to choose for forced draw).
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

i will say, i do agree it should be in the top 2-3 moves suggested after a decent think (provided komodo doesnt have a bust [ie eval doesnt rise after several moves are made]).

but obviously a few reasons it a bit silly that having it be the #1 move is a good idea for an engine benchmark...
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

gotta admit, after some examination, komodo really does seem troubling incompetent with that line. may be LK can pin down the source of it, i'd guess there's a good amount of elo to be mined there.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

S.Taylor wrote:How much stronger is Komodo now, compared to its TCEC season 9 version?

(If it adds on another 150 elo, then i think this may be enough to win Season 10. like +50 to bridge the gap of then, +50 to equal sf's own upcoming improvements, and +50 to get far ahead and be undisputed greatest, together that would be +150 elo, which is needed and wonderful).
Can someone make a testing with the latest version of Komodo vs the Houdini and SF versions that were used in TCEC 9?

If Komodo can be at the top of what they were like then, then this would give a great encouragement for what could be now too.

At long time controls, long as possible, to be as close as possible to TCEC.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

S.Taylor wrote:Can someone make a testing with the latest version of Komodo vs the Houdini and SF versions that were used in TCEC 9?
<...>
At long time controls, long as possible, to be as close as possible to TCEC.
Good idea, but why not the latest SF, too?

Komodo 10.3 vs. Stockfish 170102 16-core 60m+6s 100 games.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Because we can't see how an engine is improving when it is 2 moving targets at the same time.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

gogamoga wrote:10.3 still not been able to find Keres attack. It looks like grandmaster evaluation doesn't pay off :)
They sacrificed knowing the Keres Attack for knowing thousands of other opening positions very well. You can't judge an engine on one positioon. There are thousands of of games and hundreds of thousands of positions that Komodo has proven to know very well, so what if it didn't see one opening move. Komodo is a genius of a chess program, and the smartest of all engines in my opinion from a positional and strategic point of view, almost to the point of appearing to have plans. Hardly ever do I see Kpmodo shuffling pieces unless there is an absolute objective draw, and then you can't blame it. So Larry Kaufman has added tons of smarts to Komodo and I'm sure he always monitors how Komodo is playing for ideas of changes. And I know Mark adds great search imiprovements, move ordering, speedups, and eval weights tuning. It's a great team to create such a great engine.

Sincerely,

Tim.