Sirius GUI plus Cerebellum release date?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gogamoga

Re: Sirius GUI plus Cerebellum release date?

Post by gogamoga »

Thomas, are BF sources from zipproth.de differ compared to provided executable? Because I see about 10% speed difference
Thomas Zipproth

Post by Thomas Zipproth »

gogamoga wrote:Thomas, are BF sources from zipproth.de differ compared to provided executable? Because I see about 10% speed difference
The provided BF Binaries where build from the provided BF Sources.
I assume you mean the speed difference compared with the SF Binaries or perhaps when you make your own build.

I'm using an optimized Build with for example best of 4 selection using the Build Tester from Mike Babigian.
I also use different compiler versions and different hardware for the 4 different builds. All together can make a difference up to 10%,
usually the difference is a bit lower I think, maybe 7 or 8%.
gogamoga

Post by gogamoga »

Thomas Zipproth wrote:
I assume you mean the speed difference compared with the SF Binaries or perhaps when you make your own build.
I was talking about BF sources on zippoth.de. Every compile made with gcc 5.3.0 and

Code: Select all

make profile-build ARCH=x86-64-modern COMP=mingw
command are usually 8-10% slower than exe on the site.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

"First, take note that the longest 6-man mate took 262 moves (KRN-KNN). Moving to 7-man endings doubled this value. Second, 8-man tablebases include much more endings with both sides having relatively equal strength. All this gives us a strong hope to discover a mate in more than 1000 moves in one of 8-man endgames. Unfortunately the size of 8-man tablebases will be 100 times larger than the size of 7-man tablebases. To fully compute them, one will need about 10 PB (10,000 TB) of disk space and 50 TB of RAM. Only the top 10 supercomputers can solve the 8-man problem in 2014. The first 1000-move mate is unlikely to be found until 2020 when a part of a TOP100 supercomputer may be allowed to be used for solving this task."

We will be lucky to see a 10 man tablebase in our lifetime. A 32 man table base will be impossible for a long time.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
jdart

Post by jdart »

It is quite an interesting book, from my limited experience. It will pretty often select lines that other books (such as Noomen and Hiarcs) don't like. And it contains some surprises. For example:

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. a3 Bxc3+ 6. bxc3 Ne7 7. Qg4 cxd4 8. Qxg7 Rg8 9. Qxh7 Qc7 10. Ne2 Nbc6 11. f4 dxc3 12. h4 b6 13. Nxc3 Nxe5 14. Nb5 Qb8

and now 15. Be2 is quite strong (was previously played, but only in a few correspondence games).

--Jon
Leto

Post by Leto »

Leo wrote:"First, take note that the longest 6-man mate took 262 moves (KRN-KNN). Moving to 7-man endings doubled this value. Second, 8-man tablebases include much more endings with both sides having relatively equal strength. All this gives us a strong hope to discover a mate in more than 1000 moves in one of 8-man endgames. Unfortunately the size of 8-man tablebases will be 100 times larger than the size of 7-man tablebases. To fully compute them, one will need about 10 PB (10,000 TB) of disk space and 50 TB of RAM. Only the top 10 supercomputers can solve the 8-man problem in 2014. The first 1000-move mate is unlikely to be found until 2020 when a part of a TOP100 supercomputer may be allowed to be used for solving this task."

We will be lucky to see a 10 man tablebase in our lifetime. A 32 man table base will be impossible for a long time.
I don't think that would be necessary. I'm starting to believe the game is a draw from the start position. I think all that is needed to soft solve chess would be to improve the opening phase enough to ensure at least a draw. I think we're close to doing that thanks to correspondence chess.

Any updates on the release date for the Sirius GUI and Cerebellum?
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Leto wrote:Any updates on the release date for the Sirius GUI and Cerebellum?
I was also wondering about that, there's been no update on the release date this year, and both the initial, as well as the revised tentative date, have gone by.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Ozymandias wrote:
I was also wondering about that, there's been no update on the release date this year, and both the initial, as well as the revised tentative date, have gone by.
I sent an email to Thomas Zipproth and received a response. He says he's been very busy and that the GUI requires more work than he thought it would so he has delayed the release again. He says he can't give out a solid date yet but he hopes to have it out around the end of April.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Leto wrote:he hopes to have it out around the end of April.
And here i pointed someone towards this product, for the immediate future... :oops:
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Leto wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
I sent an email to Thomas Zipproth and received a response. He says he's been very busy and that the GUI requires more work than he thought it would so he has delayed the release again. He says he can't give out a solid date yet but he hopes to have it out around the end of April.
Its worth the wait. We want him to get it right.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.