What a fun in those times!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

What a fun in those times!

Post by Ferdy »

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: What a fun in those times!

Post by Vinvin »

Yes, this was the golden age for computer chess !
The race between humans and engines ! So long ago ...

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... ournaments
pilgrimdan

Post by pilgrimdan »

Vinvin wrote:Yes, this was the golden age for computer chess !
The race between humans and engines ! So long ago ...

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... ournaments
nice to see Rebel in the mix back then...
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

It is again the golden age of computerchess. Only we have to make it happen.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Nah, the point of the golden times were the battles human vs. machine, and that's over.

It's only interesting if you bypass PC platforms and go in for microcontrollers. That's when humans still can enjoy a good game. If I were better at chess than at C, I think I would be able to beat my own CT800.

While we're at it, isn't it ironic? During the AI bubble, chess was one of the domains in focus, and the machines finally were able to surpass humans. Only that it turned out AI isn't necessary for chess, computation can well do the job.
duncan

Post by duncan »

time for predictions. what can we expect in 20 years time for computer besides 9 piece tablebase.

my fantasy.

after a week's thinking time, on the opening. computer suddenly shows a sharp rise in score to white from .2 to point .7 leaving experts puzzled.
duncan

Post by duncan »

time for predictions. what can we expect in 20 years time for computer besides 9 piece tablebase.?

my fantasy.

'after a week's thinking time, on the opening computer suddenly shows a sharp rise in score to white from .2 to point .7, leaving experts puzzled.'
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

duncan wrote:time for predictions. what can we expect in 20 years time for computer besides 9 piece tablebase.

my fantasy.

after a week's thinking time, on the opening. computer suddenly shows a sharp rise in score to white from .2 to point .7 leaving experts puzzled.
It is interesting to read the story behind the program development (later part of the pdf) and the difficulties the programmers have encountered.

pedrox

Post by pedrox »

"In this same tournament the Novag Sapphire scored an impressive 8.5 with a performance rating of 2418 ELO."

If I am not confused the Novag Sapphire has an Aktiv ELO of about 2150 points. For this reason I think that when we program an engine with ELO for humans we do not be too hard :-)
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Ferdy wrote:
duncan wrote:time for predictions. what can we expect in 20 years time for computer besides 9 piece tablebase.

my fantasy.

It is interesting to read the story behind the program development (later part of the pdf) and the difficulties the programmers have encountered.

Nice to see some information about Aubervilliers 1995 ! There is a hole for this year on CPW : https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... Rapid+Open