Forthcoming Kasparov Book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Forthcoming Kasparov Book

Post by rcmaddox »

Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

Look here ---->> https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Thinking-Ma ... 161039786X
daniel71

Re: Forthcoming Kasparov Book

Post by daniel71 »

Wow can't wait to receive this book! Thanks for heads up.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I hope he's done his research. Garry's a great chess player, but his comments about computers have always been a bit off.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

yes, i believe we already know that human creativity begins with bugging his hotel room & falsifying machine output to allow GM intervention. :D
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

Werewolf wrote:I hope he's done his research. Garry's a great chess player, but his comments about computers have always been a bit off.
I wonder if he still thinks the Deep Blue team cheated in '97. His behavior during and after that match was shameful, IMHO.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

If the book is about chess, it'll definitely be worth a look.

But I must say that I'm not a fan of anything Kasparov non-chess that he has done.

And this is coming from somebody who used to stay awake at 3am to watch his games live on FICS back in 1999-2002.

Now he comes across as an arrogant grouch who misses the game, but whose ego couldn't handle returning and being in the #2-5 spot.

Politics - Stupid and short-sighted.

Business and "leadership" type seminars - Without his chess credentials he wouldn't even be invited to give such talks or write such articles. He has no track record or proven authority that I've seen. That's why his "how chess imitates business" (or whatever the book was) flopped. I read it and it was absolute boring garbage. Justl fluff and typical Kaspy metaphorical rhetoric (trying to appear "deep" and "innovative") and little substance. Guys like Drucker would either laugh into hysteria or use it as toilet paper.

Commentary - As a former HUGE fan of his, this has lost my respect for him most. When he commentates on live events, he is mostly throwing insults at all of the new players, as well as guys like Anand (who beat him in events more than perhaps anybody when he was active) for simply playing into his forties (making Kaspy look like a coward for retiring). He uses commentary/his chess influence to praise U.S.A supported players and Magnus (who he loves to remind us he coached), while rubbishing others and pushing his political agenda.

A book on "Machine Intelligence" is bound to be a yawn unless he uses computer chess as it's basis and keeps his B.S conspiracy theories about Deep Blue "cheating" out of it.
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

yanquis1972 wrote:yes, i believe we already know that human creativity begins with bugging his hotel room & falsifying machine output to allow GM intervention. :D
I am a fan of computer chess and a fan of Kas too. Can you point out even a single position where a GM from the IBM Team intervened during the match? If my memory serves me right, all controversial positions were heavily analysed by engines here at Talkchess but was later found out to be genuine silicon moves and not a GM (GM joel benjamin) helping Deep Blue II.

Even the Junior chess engine team claimed during that time that their Junior 5.0 was able to find those alleged human moves.

Ok ok, I think I remember one game from the top of my head, a caro-kann game where Deep Blue II as white gave up a spanish B to destroy K safety of Kasparov which was uncastled. But I can also adjust the settings of some modern engines to play that move, without recompiling the engine. In short I don't believe there was cheating, it was just that Kas played like Karpov which is not his natural style.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

BrendanJNorman wrote:If the book is about chess, it'll definitely be worth a look.

But I must say that I'm not a fan of anything Kasparov non-chess that he has done.

And this is coming from somebody who used to stay awake at 3am to watch his games live on FICS back in 1999-2002.

Now he comes across as an arrogant grouch who misses the game, but whose ego couldn't handle returning and being in the #2-5 spot.

Politics - Stupid and short-sighted.

Business and "leadership" type seminars - Without his chess credentials he wouldn't even be invited to give such talks or write such articles. He has no track record or proven authority that I've seen. That's why his "how chess imitates business" (or whatever the book was) flopped. I read it and it was absolute boring garbage. Justl fluff and typical Kaspy metaphorical rhetoric (trying to appear "deep" and "innovative") and little substance. Guys like Drucker would either laugh into hysteria or use it as toilet paper.

Commentary - As a former HUGE fan of his, this has lost my respect for him most. When he commentates on live events, he is mostly throwing insults at all of the new players, as well as guys like Anand (who beat him in events more than perhaps anybody when he was active) for simply playing into his forties (making Kaspy look like a coward for retiring). He uses commentary/his chess influence to praise U.S.A supported players and Magnus (who he loves to remind us he coached), while rubbishing others and pushing his political agenda.

A book on "Machine Intelligence" is bound to be a yawn unless he uses computer chess as it's basis and keeps his B.S conspiracy theories about Deep Blue "cheating" out of it.

You are Vishy's fan and I sympathize, as he seems a genuinely nice person.

But let us keep things in perspective. Kasparov-Anand lifetime (CB online): +26 -8 =43. When limited to “good” games, at tournament time control: +15 -3 =30. The suggestion that he “beat him more than anyone” is not just misleading, it is wrong. Try Karpov or (even better) Kramnik if you want players who were more competitive against GK.

PK
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

BrendanJNorman wrote:
Here's my theory, it's just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

After Fischer pulled out at his peak, he was hailed as the best player ever by many. Karpov - though very strong - never had such a reputation, not least because he didn't play Fischer. Kasparov comes along and - desperate to sex things up a bit - people claim he's the greatest player ever. His rating may back this up, depending on your view of elo inflation.

Kasparov hit his peak at some point in the 1990's. From there he knew he would start to (slowly, much more slowly than he claims) decline.
He saw the fame Fischer got from pulling out early, before the rot set in.

But also - I think - he saw Magnus coming. Back in 2005 Magnus was not a serious threat. Maybe even today Kasparov could compete with Magnus, who hasn't quite lived up to his childhood hype. But here's the thing: The POTENTIAL of Magnus in 2005 was HUGE. People were saying he'd be the first 2900 elo player ever.

So Kasparov had a choice. Retire early and keep his reputation intact as being one of the world's greatest historic players (maybe) or be slowly crushed by the new, more gifted (as it seemed then) upstart. The latter would destroy him.

He chose the former.

To save face he has - ever since - insisted that you can't compete at chess past 40 or so years old. I think he deliberately over-plays the age card.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

mike, my comment was a joke aimed at kasparov's paranoia, not any actual allegation.