"Universal Rating System"

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

clumma

"Universal Rating System"

Post by clumma »

http://universalrating.com

Just announced, it will be used for the next Chess Grand Tour. They make it clear they want to expand beyond just chess. Which seems like a good idea to me. FiveThirtyEight has made some waves applying Elo to basketball and other sports in recent years. Nielsen and FICO make good money from their branded ratings, why shouldn't Glickman and Sonas?

-Carl
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: "Universal Rating System"

Post by Laskos »

clumma wrote:http://universalrating.com

Just announced, it will be used for the next Chess Grand Tour. They make it clear they want to expand beyond just chess. Which seems like a good idea to me. FiveThirtyEight has made some waves applying Elo to basketball and other sports in recent years. Nielsen and FICO make good money from their branded ratings, why shouldn't Glickman and Sonas?

-Carl
They seem to use time-dependence (the moment the game takes place) and faster games dependence in some decaying manner in weighting, then proceed iteratively. Interesting, but I wouldn't mix blitz games with classic TC, disregarding the correlation which exists. Being used to engines, we know what different scaling means, and human-computer ratings at Blitz and Classic would look very different at these TC, by hundreds of ELO points.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Laskos wrote:
clumma wrote:http://universalrating.com

-Carl
They seem to use time-dependence (the moment the game takes place) and faster games dependence in some decaying manner in weighting, then proceed iteratively. Interesting, but I wouldn't mix blitz games with classic TC, disregarding the correlation which exists. Being used to engines, we know what different scaling means, and human-computer ratings at Blitz and Classic would look very different at these TC, by hundreds of ELO points.
Major rating factor seems to be the performance rating and they apply weights to it. They can generate rating at a given time frame of say from 1965 to 1970. Attempting too much time difference and it will suffer the connectivity issues as emphasized in Ordo.

I thought it is something like take Sf8 (as reference say 3000 rating points) analyze particular moves of every player in question and generate rating based on score difference of the best score / best move of Sf8 and the score (based from Sf8) of the move played by the player, and also include to factor the final result of the game.
clumma

Post by clumma »

Ferdy wrote:I thought it is something like take Sf8 (as reference say 3000 rating points) analyze particular moves of every player in question and generate rating based on score difference of the best score / best move of Sf8 and the score (based from Sf8) of the move played by the player, and also include to factor the final result of the game.
That method produces so-called "intrinsic ratings", but I do not think URS uses it. It's bound to be something like Glicko.

-Carl