Chess Performance enhancing drugs!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Re: Chess Performance enhancing drugs!

Post by S.Taylor »

wow!
I found it in my spam box, link sent by Zebra Acadie, but this same person has never before sent me any links to anywhere, and is only customer service person for Ecklonia Cava company and their own related products.

I can try to contract him to ask him if he even knows about it, but maybe it was my email being hacked and found that name and sent mew the email with that name.

2 days earlier, yahoo insisted that i change my password which i did. But i didn't know why. Maybe it is connected?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

S.Taylor wrote:wow!
I found it in my spam box, link sent by Zebra Acadie, but this same person has never before sent me any links to anywhere, and is only customer service person for Ecklonia Cava company and their own related products.

I can try to contract him to ask him if he even knows about it, but maybe it was my email being hacked and found that name and sent mew the email with that name.

2 days earlier, yahoo insisted that i change my password which i did. But i didn't know why. Maybe it is connected?
1. are you really sure that you got the link by Zebra Acadie?
2. are you really sure it was Yahoo who contacted you?

I have doubts about both. Each mail program or online mail service has a way to to display the raw content of a mail.
W/o checking this, I would never trust any mail or any link in an email, which I did not ask for.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27 ... sions=true
https://safety.yahoo.com/Security/PHISHING-SITE.html
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Exactly! Maybe my email was hacked and they found Zebra Acadie in my address box, and spoofed it. I don't think it was his regular email address but the name came up in my emails like it does when he sends me.

Yahoo who told me to change my password???? I was locked out of my emails until i changed my password. It may have been right that, that yahoo sent forced me to do that. How could someone else force me but yahoo?
duncan

Post by duncan »

S.Taylor wrote:
Guenther wrote:
You do realize that this is just a fake site?

No!
I've ordered other supplements from Zebra Acadie and spoken to him by phone a few times.

How can it be fake? Did someone else use his name?

This is the regular site
http://www.eckloniacava.com/store.html

Surprising that it doesn't include this product, but i don't think he is claiming that it is his product or website. Do you have proof that it is fake?
I suspect that the stephen hawking quote and harvard scientists pill boosting iq are almost certainly not true
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

If that's not true, I wonder what percentage of how good it is, IS true.
(not that I expected 100% truth anyway, but at least a little. The bigger thing that excited me, was the little person called called Zebra Acadie who i thought sent me the link)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

mjlef wrote:https://worldchess.com/2017/01/25/speci ... for-chess/

Summary: methylphenidate and modafinil seem to help chess performance. Data is a bit skewed since the drugs made players actually play slower, causing more time losses. but the drugs appeared to improve performance by 9-15%. More data is needed to conclude much.
Interesting that the chess world has finally caught up.

Leading business people, stock market investors, scientists and even astronauts have been using smart drugs already for decades now (beginning with the "racetam" family of drugs such as the original "piracetam") and I always wondered when the chess guys would catch on.

I've been using modafinil, various racetams, noopept (developed for Russian astronauts to have wakefulness on long missions) and others for years already.

And I'd already put maybe 100 hours of research in before testing anything.

No, I have not played one single tournament game while under the direct influence of a "smart drugs", so there are no ethical issues.

But, that aside, smart drugs behave unlike normal "narcotics" anyway. They aren't narcotics.

Lets put it plainly...

Narcotics exchange a short term buzz/high/euphoria for a long term "downer" and even worse, the long term psycho/physiological damage it causes.

Smart drugs (or "nootropics" as they're widely known as) give a super subtle (very hard to notice the benefit) boost, which has no "buzz" per say, and for some people might seem like you've wasted your money...

Then you realize that you remember things more easily, need less sleep, are more motivated/willing to tackle tedious tasks and perform better in general cognitively.

Most importantly, since ALL of the compounds found in nootropics are found naturally in the body, there are next to no side-effects (and none being long term) and only upside.

This is why the stock-market guys, scientists, astronauts and other high performers are so hush hush about it.

I first learnt about modafinil from Tim Ferriss who mentioned learning 30 Chinese characters in one night after taking a dose.

Not sure if I can agree with that hypey claim, but I can attest that smart drugs do provide an enormous boost with no downside.

What I can say is that I introduced them to a friend of mine who is approaching 60 years of age, but is a quite successful businessman in the construction industry and within a month, he had greater recall, more wakefulness (no need for an afternoon nap...ever), much better focus and even better errr...."intimate performance".

He now swears by them and wants to start a company with me to bring this stuff to the masses.

I don't want to (now) because I'm busy as hell and the industry is messy as hell (remember the stock market guys) and U.S FDA tries to keep a big lid on the whole thing.

Regardless, YES! They do (naturally) improve chess performance, and cognitive performance in general, plus stamina, wakefulness, focus etc as well.

This science might be rare, but its not new....Nootropics have been researched since the 1960s, it's just that it's been kept quiet.

And yes... I easily maintain a level a little bit above my underrated my chess level (in online blitz and training games against engines), despite not having played a tournament since 2010...

Coincidence?

This might be a coincidence, but again...i have not felt the need for an afternoon nap or even with no sleep, felt overwhelmed when working since 2014.

That can't be a coincidence...

If you are open minded enough, give it a try and share your results.

Anyone interested can find some further reading here:

http://www.longecity.org/forum/forum/41 ... ic-stacks/

It's like the "talkchess" for nootropic nerds.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

But for some people, they might so taxing on the liver that by the time they see any benefit from it, too much damage might have already been caused.
I recently started prozac and something else for about 2 days and was told that i must continue for 30 days before seeing any results, but that then it will all be just wonderful. But after 2 days i felt my system just could not tollerate it any longer. I took an extremely small dose and it was like ibuprofen plus plus.
Sometimes i take ibuprofen 400mg to relieve various pains, but hopefully not more than once a week, and when i do, i am aware that i am compromising my liver and general health. Antibiotics are only for life/death situations, and even then, i would try any way possible to find a different way out.
Natural things i take often.
So for a person like me, I think i did the right thing by dissapointing my friend who arranged me an appointment with that great professor who prescribed me those 2 psychiatric drugs.
I never said i would not try it again, but i thought i need to get extra strong in my liver etc. before i can risk taxing my system and doing so long term.
I've also seen youtube blogs by various experts who speak very strongly against use of such drugs. Just youtube it and you may find some valuable info.
I wouldn't mind if the drug went right to the brain and did its job, but i think they don't. But they involve the whole body and shake up the whole health, and are taxing o n the liver.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

This one most CERTAINLY does the job!
https://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rct=j ... M0RH7GCVBQ
I know from personal experience but never tried it for long enough, but just as i was getting to the end of the bottle, i was starting to feel a different brain. I hope to get a few when i am next in america, and take them for over a month.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

S.Taylor wrote:But for some people, they might so taxing on the liver that by the time they see any benefit from it, too much damage might have already been caused.
I recently started prozac and something else for about 2 days and was told that i must continue for 30 days before seeing any results, but that then it will all be just wonderful. But after 2 days i felt my system just could not tollerate it any longer. I took an extremely small dose and it was like ibuprofen plus plus.
Sometimes i take ibuprofen 400mg to relieve various pains, but hopefully not more than once a week, and when i do, i am aware that i am compromising my liver and general health. Antibiotics are only for life/death situations, and even then, i would try any way possible to find a different way out.
Natural things i take often.
So for a person like me, I think i did the right thing by dissapointing my friend who arranged me an appointment with that great professor who prescribed me those 2 psychiatric drugs.
I never said i would not try it again, but i thought i need to get extra strong in my liver etc. before i can risk taxing my system and doing so long term.
I've also seen youtube blogs by various experts who speak very strongly against use of such drugs. Just youtube it and you may find some valuable info.
I wouldn't mind if the drug went right to the brain and did its job, but i think they don't. But they involve the whole body and shake up the whole health, and are taxing o n the liver.
Hey buddy,

Interesting experience you've shared.

Firstly, (excuse me if I've missed something. It's Chinese new year and I've had several bourbons) it might not be wise to compare Ibuprofen and Prozac to Nootropics, but as you've mentioned - they both have to interact with the liver on their exit from the body which is a valid point.

I guess it comes down to what one can accept and what one can allow.

This forum has taught me that many people can accept even the most vile of transgressions, while going nuts at the mildest of queries so I guess it just shows that human beings are strange, varied creatures.

I'd encourage you to look into the science behind nootropics...

There are nerds MUCH smarter than me, whose research has shown that nootropics can be of huge benefit to the human body and, for those who have sensitive livers (or who want to be extra safe), there are supplements that can help bear the burden of a taxed liver.

Again, to make things very simple.

A person who drinks alcohol on weekends, but doesn't use nootropics, bears much greater risk than a non-drinker who uses say noopept/modafinil when a work deadline is looming.

I'm not judging anybody either way, but basing our opinions on "big pharma" certainly isn't the smartest move either.

Much better to think for ourselves, or (as I did) let a collective of genius nerds do the number crunching and then use the data produced for your own benefit.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

if the FDA wants to keep a lid on something, they can. ive seen one of these "nootropics" recommended (for anxiety) that they probably should be regulating (well, in terms of consistency). intoxicating, addictive, available pretty cheap OTC. its an old soviet do-all drug. (i notice a lot of these seem to be based on soviet drugs from the '60s; i find it pretty laughable that this fact is hailed by advocates. we've had nearly 50 years of development since, & the iron curtain's been gone for nearly 30 of those.)

i don't have personal experience with them, & i'm anti drug-regulation personally, so if there's affordable stuff out there that works for you that's obviously great. but i'd definitely read any latest studies you can find & take seriously -all- firsthand accounts.

some of these may be no better than caffeine in terms of effectiveness, some may be worse, but they're not literal placebos.

for the ones that really do work, keep in mind: amphetamines provide quantifiable 'performance enhancement' in both physical & cognitive tasks & they're not physically addictive in any long-term sense (i don't believe they're taxing on the liver either, but i could be wrong). but -- leaving aside the fact they induce euphoria in many -- they 'crater' for EVERYONE, which alone creates abuse potential, which can have all sorts of nasty consequences. so theyre regulated, & have a high street value that doesn't come from well-heeled suits who could easily obtain them legally & for free. (to spell this out: the market consists largely of people who have no insurance or can't get a prescription because of prior abuse.)

this is stuff that, even if it was available OTC from any gas station, i'd want to see banned from athletics (& chess). if you want to use drugs outside of professional competitive environments, fine. during? not unless you've got a debilitating condition for which this drug is the only possible treatment. (and no, a 9 to 5 isn't the kind of competitive environment i'm talking about)

when you permit PEDs in closed competition you permit an environment where those willing to sacrifice their wellbeing have a potential edge over those who dont, not because of a lifestyle choice but because theyll volunteer to swallow a pill. thats simply not fair to the competitors.