Best Computer Chess Program

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
rabbits23
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:57 am
Location: Randwick Australia

Best Computer Chess Program

Post by rabbits23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 am

I am a chess enthusiast and like to play programs against one another.
Currently I have all the Stockfish engines ( up to 8 ) Deep Hiarcs 13.2
Komodo 10 and Houdini 4.Am I missing out on anything?
Cheers Allan :D

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 am

Code: Select all

  FCP Rating List
  ---------------

  Date           : December 20th, 2016 (23:30)
  Games          : 41.000
  Version        : 4.49, final results!
  Conditions     : http://www.amateurschach.de/main/_conditions.htm

  Generated with : Ordo 1.2.6 x64 (Ratings for chess and other games)
  https://sites.google.com/site/gaviotachessengine/ordo
  by Miguel A. Ballicora (Argentina)



   # Player                           :      Elo  Games  Score%   won  draw  lost  Points  Draw%  Error   OppAvg   OppE   OppD
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1 Stockfish 8 BMI2 x64 C15         :  3222.65   2000    84.5  1393   592    15  1689.0   29.6  15.43  2895.68  11.42   40.0
   2 Houdini 5 Pro x64 C1             :  3212.11   2000    83.7  1372   603    25  1673.5   30.1  14.85  2895.95  11.44   40.0
   3 Komodo 10.2 x64 C15              :  3205.77   2000    83.2  1365   598    37  1664.0   29.9  14.43  2896.11  11.45   40.0
   4 Shredder 13 x64 C15              :  3107.95   2000    74.6  1133   719   148  1492.5   36.0  12.71  2898.55  11.49   40.0
   5 Fire 5 POP x64 C15               :  3086.32   2000    72.4  1030   837   133  1448.5   41.9  12.89  2899.09  11.49   40.0
   6 GullChess 3.0 BMI2 x64           :  3034.48   2000    66.8   876   918   206  1335.0   45.9  11.24  2900.39  11.53   40.0
   7 Andscacs 0.89 BMI2 x64 C15       :  3027.49   2000    66.0   903   832   265  1319.0   41.6  11.99  2900.56  11.51   40.0
   8 Fizbo 1.8 BMI2 x64               :  2997.55   2000    62.4   787   922   291  1248.0   46.1  11.46  2901.31  11.52   40.0
   9 Equinox 3.30 x64                 :  2994.04   2000    62.0   760   959   281  1239.5   48.0  11.21  2901.40  11.53   40.0
  10 Critter 1.6a x64                 :  2981.93   2000    60.5   747   926   327  1210.0   46.3  11.61  2901.70  11.52   40.0
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  11 Fritz 15 x64                     :  2978.51   2000    60.1   737   929   334  1201.5   46.5  11.13  2901.79  11.53   40.0
  12 Booot 6.1 POP x64                :  2968.47   2000    58.8   678   997   325  1176.5   49.9  11.11  2902.04  11.53   40.0
  13 Nirvanachess 2.3 POP x64         :  2964.23   2000    58.3   657  1018   325  1166.0   50.9  11.00  2902.14  11.53   40.0
  14 Hannibal 1.7 x64                 :  2960.05   2000    57.8   683   945   372  1155.5   47.3  11.16  2902.25  11.53   40.0
  15 Chiron 3 x64                     :  2950.53   2000    56.6   654   955   391  1131.5   47.8  10.87  2902.49  11.54   40.0
  16 Protector 1.9.0 x64              :  2938.72   2000    55.1   619   965   416  1101.5   48.3  10.81  2902.78  11.54   40.0
  17 Texel 1.06 x64                   :  2936.57   2000    54.8   632   928   440  1096.0   46.4  10.94  2902.84  11.54   40.0
  18 iCE 3.0 v658 POP x64             :  2924.86   2000    53.3   606   920   474  1066.0   46.0  10.71  2903.13  11.54   40.0
  19 SmarThink 1.96 SSE4 x64          :  2890.02   2000    48.8   553   846   601   976.0   42.3  10.80  2904.00  11.54   40.0
  20 Naum 4.6 x64                     :  2885.00   2000    48.1   485   956   559   963.0   47.8  10.62  2904.13  11.54   40.0
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  21 Hakkapeliitta TCEC v2 x64        :  2884.40   2000    48.1   533   857   610   961.5   42.9  11.02  2904.14  11.53   40.0
  22 Vajolet2 2.2 POP x64             :  2842.77   2000    42.7   396   916   688   854.0   45.8  11.01  2905.18  11.53   40.0
  23 Pedone 1.5 BMI2 x64              :  2842.38   2000    42.6   389   928   683   853.0   46.4  11.41  2905.19  11.52   40.0
  24 Senpai 1.0 SSE42 x64             :  2831.83   2000    41.3   372   908   720   826.0   45.4  10.37  2905.45  11.55   40.0
  25 Hiarcs 14 WCSC w32               :  2829.64   2000    41.0   388   865   747   820.5   43.3  11.48  2905.51  11.52   40.0
  26 Cheng 4.39 x64                   :  2806.82   2000    38.1   328   870   802   763.0   43.5  11.06  2906.08  11.53   40.0
  27 Sjeng c't 2010 w32               :  2803.00   2000    37.7   341   825   834   753.5   41.3  11.38  2906.18  11.53   40.0
  28 Arasan 19.1 POP x64              :  2798.56   2000    37.1   318   849   833   742.5   42.5  10.95  2906.29  11.54   40.0
  29 Nemorino 1.02 POP x64            :  2797.55   2000    37.0   302   876   822   740.0   43.8  11.22  2906.31  11.53   40.0
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  30 Daydreamer 2.0.0 pre2 GNU x64    :  2796.54   2000    36.9   290   895   815   737.5   44.8  10.95  2906.34  11.54   40.0
  31 Crafty 25.2 x64                  :  2794.31   2000    36.6   321   822   857   732.0   41.1  11.57  2906.39  11.52   40.0
  32 Junior 13.3.00 x64               :  2790.24   2000    36.1   321   802   877   722.0   40.1  11.18  2906.49  11.53   40.0
  33 Spike 1.4 Leiden w32             :  2789.65   2000    36.0   293   855   852   720.5   42.8  11.38  2906.51  11.53   40.0
  34 Wasp 1.25 BMI2 x64               :  2787.78   2000    35.8   261   910   829   716.0   45.5  11.35  2906.56  11.53   40.0
  35 Quazar 0.4 x64                   :  2780.80   2000    35.0   279   840   881   699.0   42.0  11.14  2906.73  11.53   40.0
  36 DiscoCheck 5.2.1 x64             :  2775.20   2000    34.3   300   771   929   685.5   38.5  11.38  2906.87  11.53   40.0
  36 Rodent II 0.9.64 x64             :  2775.20   2000    34.3   285   801   914   685.5   40.0  11.18  2906.87  11.53   40.0
  38 Deuterium 14.3.34.130 POP x64    :  2770.41   2000    33.7   260   828   912   674.0   41.4  11.03  2906.99  11.53   40.0
  39 Bobcat 7.6 x64                   :  2768.52   2000    33.5   251   837   912   669.5   41.9  11.68  2907.04  11.52   40.0
  40 Spark 1.0 x64                    :  2759.43   2000    32.4   259   778   963   648.0   38.9  11.05  2907.26  11.53   40.0
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  41 Zappa Mexico II x64              :  2757.73   2000    32.2   226   836   938   644.0   41.8  11.63  2907.31  11.52   40.0
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  Move average                : 176.77 / 88.385
  White advantage             : 33.75  +/- 1.31
  Draw rate (equal opponents) : 53.71% +/- 0.30
 
  Games        :   41.000 (finished)
  White Wins   :   13.294 (32.4%)
  Black Wins   :   10.089 (24.6%)
  Draws        :   17.617 (43.0%)
  Unfinished   :       0

  White Perf.  :  53.9%
  Black Perf.  :  46.1%

  ECO A        =   7.255 games (17.7%)
  ECO B        =  10.323 games (25.2%)
  ECO C        =   8.265 games (20.2%)
  ECO D        =   8.021 games (19.6%)
  ECO E        =   7.133 games (17.4%)
http://www.amateurschach.de/main/cross-tab/v449.htm
cross-table!

TOP-40 on fast Hardware with longer time controls each one vs. each other 50 games. Information to playing styles, all games and so one can be found under:

http://www.amateurschach.de
which engine is stronger in the first, second playing phase or the third the endgame.

Also the links to the engines.
So in my opinion a lot missed!
Easy, all the engines have nice playing styles, are different and the average of the Group of TOP-40 is higher around 75 Elo higher the best human in the World have.

Have fun with all the material you can find in WWW and your engine-engine matches.

Best
Frank

PS: FCP Rating List is quiet boring for myself (to many of such games I saw ... in FCP and the SWCR Rating List Systems) and ended end of the last year ...

Since this time 9 of the TOP-41 engines are updated:
Have a look under:
http://www.amateurschach.de/main/_engines.htm

Now I am working on a opening book database, can be used for the most of engines and all the GUIs we have. Because such matches should start with equal positions. Have a look in the other messages I wrote today.
I like computer chess!

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by BrendanJNorman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 am

rabbits23 wrote:I am a chess enthusiast and like to play programs against one another.
Currently I have all the Stockfish engines ( up to 8 ) Deep Hiarcs 13.2
Komodo 10 and Houdini 4.Am I missing out on anything?
Cheers Allan :D
Hey mate,

Another Sydney-sider here (although I've been in China a while now).

Frank has given some good advice (sort of), but I think it's going to be a little confusing.

If your a chess enthusiast who likes to play programs against each other, this is (strangely) different to a program enthusiast who also likes chess.

That's a lot of what you'll find at TC.

Anyway, point is.

If you want to see the engines play beautiful chess, it might be even more exciting to use weaker engines than those which Frank is suggesting.

Find engines that have the most attractive STYLE and put them in sharp/interesting openings against each other.

This is really much more fun than putting the two strongest engines against each other (IMO), since you see more human-like mistakes and as a result tactical/intelligently strategic punishments.

Sometimes the 3200 ELO+ engines games are so deep, it's tough to even know what's going on...and I'm a player well over 2100+ ELO myself.

Here is a good start for finding which engines are most "fun" in their styles:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25494

Other nice engines are AnMon (Frank's old fav if I remember rightly), Phalanx, Romichess (the most human-like in terms of choosing positional moves), ZuriChess, Rodent, Prodeo, etc.

There's some stuff on my site about these "weaker" engines you can check if you have time. ;)

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 am

Brendan,

I like AnMon so much.
I have a new chess board (pieces from India) ... Looks very nice ... since a very short time.

After I have it ... directly I Plays games vs. AnMon. With the new board I am 100 Elo stronger ... no, no ... but I think so.

:-)

Phalanx is very nice ... my very old favorite.
Generally I like aggressive engines, ETChess is wonderful, also the old Aristarch is very nice. Spark and Hakkapeliitta from the newer programs, from Hakkapeliitta more the preview version ... version: 3.0 (not TCEC version, stronger but the older have a more nice style).

Junior is a very nice engine, often with absolutely genial moves in king attacking.

I remember on older times ... first Winboard times and the first tourneys. Zarkov is playing nice chess and Phalanx. I saw so many great attacking games from Phalanx.

But my old love is AnMon!
MTD, same do the SOS programmer ... Stefan Meyer-Kahlen says often: Rudolf Huber is the programmer with the most knowlege in programming. Rudolf, the SOS programmer helps for UCI protocol with Dieter Bürßner (Yace) too.

Very complicated I think MTD is for programmers.

For AnMon the programmer Christian Barreteau (France ... AnMon = half An -angel- and half Mon -demon-) have to get each year a special medal! My symbolic medal the programmer will get also in the year 2100.

AnMon try to play often moves like: g4 or b4 ... also on king size. For self playing interesting ... to try to find a way for a king attack. Same try AnMon all the time ... OK newer engine are clearly stornger in king attacks but for self playing AnMon is just fantastic.

In older DOS times ...
WChess and Kallisto

:-)

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by BrendanJNorman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 am

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Brendan,

I like AnMon so much.
I have a new chess board (pieces from India) ... Looks very nice ... since a very short time.

After I have it ... directly I Plays games vs. AnMon. With the new board I am 100 Elo stronger ... no, no ... but I think so.

:-)

Phalanx is very nice ... my very old favorite.
Generally I like aggressive engines, ETChess is wonderful, also the old Aristarch is very nice. Spark and Hakkapeliitta from the newer programs, from Hakkapeliitta more the preview version ... version: 3.0 (not TCEC version, stronger but the older have a more nice style).

Junior is a very nice engine, often with absolutely genial moves in king attacking.

I remember on older times ... first Winboard times and the first tourneys. Zarkov is playing nice chess and Phalanx. I saw so many great attacking games from Phalanx.

But my old love is AnMon!
MTD, same do the SOS programmer ... Stefan Meyer-Kahlen says often: Rudolf Huber is the programmer with the most knowlege in programming. Rudolf, the SOS programmer helps for UCI protocol with Dieter Bürßner (Yace) too.

Very complicated I think MTD is for programmers.

For AnMon the programmer Christian Barreteau (France ... AnMon = half An -angel- and half Mon -demon-) have to get each year a special medal! My symbolic medal the programmer will get also in the year 2100.

AnMon try to play often moves like: g4 or b4 ... also on king size. For self playing interesting ... to try to find a way for a king attack. Same try AnMon all the time ... OK newer engine are clearly stornger in king attacks but for self playing AnMon is just fantastic.

In older DOS times ...
WChess and Kallisto

:-)

Best
Frank
hahaha fascinating.

I'll have to have a look at ETChess.

Which version of AnMon woild you say has the nicest style?

Recently I've been looking at 5.53, 5.66 and 5.10.

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 am

Version: 5.10, 5.12, 5.21 (I am using 5.21).

ETChess is Winboard!!
Absolutely great engine!

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Download for older AnMon vers. in message included

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Brandan,

here my collection of AnMon engines.
I have the permisson to added it on webpage by Christian. So I can give it again.

Around 8Mb
http://www.amateurschach.de/download/anmon-versions.zip

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Download for older AnMon vers. in message included

Post by BrendanJNorman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 am

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Brandan,

here my collection of AnMon engines.
I have the permisson to added it on webpage by Christian. So I can give it again.

Around 8Mb
http://www.amateurschach.de/download/anmon-versions.zip

Best
Frank
Wow thanks Frank!

It's around 6.30pm here in China, but with this download...I feel I might have lost the rest of my evening. :D

BTW I played a great game against AnMon 5.53 recently.

I was absolutely crushing it on the black side of a Richter Rauzer Sicilian (in a 3 2 game amazingly!) and at one point +5.

I rejected several perpetual opportunities and went for more and...

lost. :oops:


*** it, let me show you.

[pgn][Event "3 2 Blitz"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2017.02.09"]
[Round "?"]
[White "AnMon 5.53"]
[Black "Norman, Brendan"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B67"]
[WhiteElo "2510"]
[PlyCount "77"]
[EventDate "2017.??.??"]
[EventCountry "CHN"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2 a6 8.
O-O-O Bd7 9. f4 h6 10. Bh4 Qb6 11. Bxf6 gxf6 12. Nb3 O-O-O 13. Be2 Kb8 14. Kb1 Be7 15. Bh5 Be8 16. Qe1 Rg8 17. Bf3 Rc8 18. Qh4 Na5 19. Nxa5 Qxa5 20. Qxh6 Rxc3 21. Qh7 Rf8 22. bxc3 d5 23. Rd3 Ba3 24. Ka1 Bb5 25. c4 dxc4 26. Rxa3 Qxa3 27.Rb1 Qc3+ 28. Rb2 Qe1+ 29. Rb1 Qc3+ 30. Rb2 a5 31. Qg7 Rd8 32. Qxf7 a4 33. a3 Qxa3+ 34. Kb1 Bc6 35. Qxf6 Rd2 36. Qe5+ Kc8 37. Qxe6+ Kb8 38. Qxc4 Qd6 39. e5 1-0[/pgn]

Not bad for a blitz game, but I probably should have taken the draw.

32...a4? is a silly move, but I couldn't come to grips psychologically that I'd already thrown away the win.

O well, maybe I can beat the older versions! 8-)

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Download for older AnMon vers. in message included

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

China is great ... AnMon too.
But in this case better to visiable China.

On the other Hand ... a chessboard and a hotel room in China can be good too...

Joking!

Will replay the game today on my new board.

:-)

Have fun in China!

PS:
I visiting this week London.
Three new chess books from London Chess Centre (Baker Street). Nice what I saw here. I saw not many things from London ... Pizza in the near of Baker Street (Tizzi, Paddington Street) was interesting too. And my new books to scandinavish!

Please give the information not to the others, english people can read that. And on the end of the day I must read ... why you visiting not Buckingham or such things.

I like the English queen but the queen on chessboard is interesting too. And the scandinavian Queen on 2. ... Qxd5 is very interesting.
I like computer chess!

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Download for older AnMon vers. in message included

Post by BrendanJNorman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:31 am

Frank Quisinsky wrote:China is great ... AnMon too.
But in this case better to visiable China.

On the other Hand ... a chessboard and a hotel room in China can be good too...

Joking!

Will replay the game today on my new board.

:-)

Have fun in China!

PS:
I visiting this week London.
Three new chess books from London Chess Centre (Baker Street). Nice what I saw here. I saw not many things from London ... Pizza in the near of Baker Street (Tizzi, Paddington Street) was interesting too. And my new books to scandinavish!

Please give the information not to the others, english people can read that. And on the end of the day I must read ... why you visiting not Buckingham or such things.

I like the English queen but the queen on chessboard is interesting too. And the scandinavian Queen on 2. ... Qxd5 is very interesting.
Frank...you....my friend....are an addict! :lol:

By the way...a chess board and a hotel room in China CAN be good.

I have a lot of experience. :lol:

Enjoy London.

Post Reply