Best Computer Chess Program

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: Best Computer Chess Program

Post by Sean Evans »

cdani wrote:
Sean Evans wrote: Derivative/plagiarized:
There are several strong chess engines that are derivatives: Houdini 5, Fire, Rybka, Andscacs, GullChess, etc.
Where do you saw that Andscacs is a derivative??? I wrote Andscacs from the start.
More lying! That is what they all say and they all get caught!!
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Sean Evans wrote: There are two basic classifications: Original chess engines AND Derivative/Plagiarized chess engines.

Original:
The two best original tier one chess engines are Stockfish and Komodo. There are several strong tier two chess engines: Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs, ChessTiger and Fritz.

Derivative/plagiarized:
There are several strong chess engines that are derivatives: Houdini 5, Fire, Rybka, Andscacs, GullChess, etc.

You will have to make a decision as to which way you want to go, i.e. supporting original chess developers with your money or give it to those that plagiarize.

Good luck,

Sean
1. there are legal, useless and illegal derivates, but I have no patience to tell you what all of this means, because of your history in CCC

2. there is no evidence andscacs is not original, even while being closed source

3. instead there is evidence for the opposite in form of posted code snippets and quite comprehensive change logs also posted here for each version since 2014/02, which show insight in its working
--> file a search for 'andscacs - new version'

4. normally I would never reply to a Sean Evans post, so please don't expect more on this - it was really better when you stayed away from the main forum,
just throwing enormous amounts of mud into the CTF crowd, as uncle timbo, for probably 20 years...
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

Guenther wrote: 4. normally I would never reply to a Sean Evans post, so please don't expect more on this - it was really better when you stayed away from the main forum,
just throwing enormous amounts of mud into the CTF crowd, as uncle timbo, for probably 20 years...
This is quite untrue. :)

Sean Evans hasn't been +any+ part of the CTF past at all. It is popular to throw mud in the general CTF direction, maybe even for good reasons ;) , but there is no need to burden the CTF past with Sean for this .. :p

What you may be remembering if you really have been around long enough is Sean's infamous r.g.c.c. history, but this would be both - a different place and a different time.

Peter
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Sean Evans wrote:
cdani wrote:
Where do you saw that Andscacs is a derivative??? I wrote Andscacs from the start.
Except that there is NOTHING to suggest that Andscacs is a derivative. Do you have anything to back your statement up? If so, then please share it. If not, then apologize to Daniel.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Peter Berger wrote:
Guenther wrote: 4. normally I would never reply to a Sean Evans post, so please don't expect more on this - it was really better when you stayed away from the main forum,
This is quite untrue. :)

Sean Evans hasn't been +any+ part of the CTF past at all. It is popular to throw mud in the general CTF direction, maybe even for good reasons ;) , but there is no need to burden the CTF past with Sean for this .. :p

What you may be remembering if you really have been around long enough is Sean's infamous r.g.c.c. history, but this would be both - a different place and a different time.

Peter

oops I mixed him up with Tim Frohlick (just for a second) for unknown reason...
but Sean has the same long history of well, trolling (not in CTF though).

a quote from Dann Corbit from 2009:
Sean likes controversy. He's something of a troll. He was banned a few times before, but then settled down and behaved just fine for quite a while. For some reason he has gone off the deep end again.
memories about a part of the past (already CCC after rgcc):
http://www.stmintz.com/ccc/index.php?id=23506
cdani

Post by cdani »

Sean Evans wrote:
cdani wrote:
How is possible that you say that I lie? You have 0 base to say it. Is just your imagination, obviously.
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

Thanks for that information Sean. When I buy a chess program I would hope that my money rewards the originator/designer but I'm discovering that this is not always an easy task. I've taken note of the programs you've mentioned and will keep them in mind when purchasing future chess programs .
Cheers Allan :)
PS What do you know about Chess King?
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

Crikey Brendan I had no idea the world of computer chess programming was so
complex and confusing. It's hard to know what to believe. When I purchase a computer chess program I want the designer of that program to be rewarded for their thought and creativity. Finding out just who is the originator is not an easy thing to do though. Sean Evans suggested some programs which I already have but I am curious about the Chess King program and what you
knew about it.
Cheers Allan :)
PS Capitalism is not just blind it is cold and selective.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

cdani wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
cdani wrote:
How is possible that you say that I lie? You have 0 base to say it. Is just your imagination, obviously.
You started development of Andscacs in Sept 2013:
- four months later it is the runner-up at the IGWT III;
- in July 2016 it is the runner-up at the WCRCC 2016, only losing to Komodo; and
- Feb 2017 on the CCRL 40/40 Rating List it is in 7th at 3242; higher than Chiron4, Gull3, Rybka5, etc..

Are you stating you developed an original program in that little time that is better than so many programs that have been in development for 20+ years? I DO NOT THINK SO!

Yet more lying in the Computer Chess Club by another cracker! CASE CLOSED!!

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Sean Evans wrote: Yet more lying in the Computer Chess Club by another cracker! CASE CLOSED!!

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Sean,
I have not seen you post any evidence to support your conclusions. Please do not accuse people of lying without very strong evidence to support your statement. Otherwise we may be forced to send you on another nice little holiday.
Cordially,
Harvey