What happend to TCEC?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: What happend to TCEC?

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Henk wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Henk wrote:I still think that people publishing open source code are communists. So I don't want to be associated with that group.

I also think that ICGA should stay strict in only let play engines that are original.
Commonfish is a nice case in point. :)
Doesn't say anything about the quality. Wasn't Picasso a communist too.
and he is low quality, of course.

there is not a single communist in the whole wide world who would be worthy of anything(I do not know why, but I suddenly became mad, the word communist is simply something I can not stand)

I hope this was the last maddening exercise.
What fun is life, with no maddening exercises left in the tank?

I hope we never run out.

Now, I don't like things that cause people to die. But that is another story.
man, do not philosophize please about maddening experiences, because I had to fight off Russian-hacker inspired malware for the bigger part of the day.

it is precisely those do-nothings that try to annihilate any meaningful human endeavour, and the only reason being they are spiteful and do-nothings.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

hgm wrote:And the only one that even mentions it is you... :lol:

And thinking that the Johnny version used at WCCC is 300 Elo stronger is already close to delusional denial of facts. If it were 300 Elo stronger, in addition to having a time-odds advantage of a factor 10, it should have crushed Komodo 7-3 or so. But that did not happen.
I briefly spoke with Johannes (Jonny's author) asking if we should expect a bit elo gain like last year's Jonny 8, and he said that the gains this year were more modest than the gain in 8.
Milos

Post by Milos »

mjlef wrote:
hgm wrote:And the only one that even mentions it is you... :lol:

And thinking that the Johnny version used at WCCC is 300 Elo stronger is already close to delusional denial of facts. If it were 300 Elo stronger, in addition to having a time-odds advantage of a factor 10, it should have crushed Komodo 7-3 or so. But that did not happen.
I briefly spoke with Johannes (Jonny's author) asking if we should expect a bit elo gain like last year's Jonny 8, and he said that the gains this year were more modest than the gain in 8.
It's quite simple frankly.
Komodo 11.01 vs Jonny 8 is about 250 Elo. Komodo WCCC version probably gained a bit less than Jonny WCCC version (30 Elo), so lets say this drops difference to 220 Elo.
All those mega cores (2400 cores vs. Komodo 60) bring 70 Elo at best.
Jonny's private book is obviously better (probably even tuned against Komodo) than Erdogan Gunes' book, so lets say 50 Elo.
Remains 100 Elo difference and 7 draws are actually quite expected (with maybe a bit of luck) for 100 Elo difference.
Could also be the case of mismatch (or contempt factor of whatever) with Jonny the same one we have with SF, where SF is 30 Elo ahead on the rating list, but 80 Elo ahead in direct match.
Last edited by Milos on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Henk wrote:I still think that people publishing open source code are communists. So I don't want to be associated with that group.
Incidentally, such people also tend to have some trust that they won't ridicule themselves with the quality of their code when others have a look at it. Guess you won't want to be associated with that group, either? ;-)
Henk

Post by Henk »

Ras wrote:
Incidentally, such people also tend to have some trust that they won't ridicule themselves with the quality of their code when others have a look at it. Guess you won't want to be associated with that group, either? ;-)
Yes when I posted some of my source code some readers where shocked. So that's another reason not to publish source code. They didn't send me to a labor camp. But getting close.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Milos wrote: Jonny's private book is obviously better
There is nowhere near enough evidence to prove this statement. I remember my old, Economics, Teacher, Mr. Amer, telling me, "Nothing is obvious."
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Due to issues connecting to the 6o core, the Jonny - Komodo WCCC game was played using the 24-core. I would not expect that to be a big elo difference from the 60 core. Erdo also created a new book for that game, and since it was done last minute, it had a position leaving to a draw. We went back to Erdo's regular book after that. Since Komodo was black in that game, we expected a draw anyway.

Of more concern was a bug that caused Komodo to ignore the basic Contempt setting. We would normally run with a Contempt of 0 against Jonny, but the bug might have caused us to get more draws, especially in WCSC. But that bug is fixed now. And Komodo actually now has a better Contempt than before.