What happend to TCEC?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: What happend to TCEC?

Post by hgm »

Dann Corbit wrote:But the ultimate chess on the ultimate hardware is another question.
If you want to see breathtaking moves that require absurd depths and nodecounts, then your choices are TCEC and correspondence chess.
Not really. Everyone can do it at home as well. Just download a few top engines, and have them run on your PC at really slow TC.

For games on the 'ultimate hardware' you have to watch Johnny play at WCCC. TCEC is a far cry from 2048 cores.
mjlef wrote:Maybe Anton should setup a gofundme for TCEC. It could be a measure of how much entertainment people would get out of a new Season.
Why such a complex solution? TCEC doesn't require anything special, does it? Just a computer and an internet connection, and you can run something like it. There must be many people here that have suitable hardware. What is stopping them? If I had any interest in orthodox Chess I would already have done it myself...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

hgm wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:But the ultimate chess on the ultimate hardware is another question.
If you want to see breathtaking moves that require absurd depths and nodecounts, then your choices are TCEC and correspondence chess.
Not really. Everyone can do it at home as well. Just download a few top engines, and have them run on your PC at really slow TC.

For games on the 'ultimate hardware' you have to watch Johnny play at WCCC. TCEC is a far cry from 2048 cores.
{snip}
Komodo or Stockfish on TCEC hardware would smoke Jonny so bad it would be comical.

Not that Jonny is a bad engine. Just that the TCEC hardware was spectacular and the top 3 or 4 engines are really that good.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

Dann Corbit wrote: Komodo or Stockfish on TCEC hardware would smoke Jonny so bad it would be comical.

Not that Jonny is a bad engine. Just that the TCEC hardware was spectacular and the top 3 or 4 engines are really that good.
Good engine - good on any hardware.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

The issue is that WCCC use uneven hardware, whereas TCEC does not.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Nordlandia wrote:The issue is that WCCC use uneven hardware, whereas TCEC does not.
And thats make things fun, because it helps Jonny to reach a level close to Komodo on 60 core and thats make great game to watch.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Nordlandia wrote:The issue is that WCCC use uneven hardware, whereas TCEC does not.
Therefor they have WCCC and WCSC.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

JJJ wrote:
And thats make things fun, because it helps Jonny to reach a level close to Komodo on 60 core and thats make great game to watch.
It's still futile, compared to TCEC.

Imagine Komodo with 2,400 cores, need i say more?
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

I don't think it would scale to 2400 core :) At least for now.
And I d be happy to see Komodo with 2400 core.
Milos

Post by Milos »

hgm wrote:For games on the 'ultimate hardware' you have to watch Johnny play at WCCC. TCEC is a far cry from 2048 cores.
That's just BS. Jonny on 2048 cores is weaker than SF on any i7 laptop. So what were you trying to tell us?
2048 cores is anyway totally pointless, almost zero difference in strength (certainly less than 5 Elo) between 2048 of 256 cores.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: What happened to TCEC?

Post by lucasart »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Apparently TCEC's sources of funding are insufficient to cover the capital and labor expenses the tournament generates and this poses a challenge.

The lack of official communication is, obviously, not encouraging and does not help the brand. I refer you to Martin Thoresen's cri de cœur. I share many of his laments. But of course if the season happens I will serve in my customary role.
I think the real problem is that Anton was never the right person for the job, and we need someone else to run TCEC. He has no relevant competence. Neither knowledge in computer chess, never programmed a chess engine, or even attempted it. Nor web programmer skills, it seems.

He needs more money to run this tournament, seriously ? There are plenty of engine developpers here, who work for free, and spend a lot more time and computing resources on their hobby. Same for rating list testers, or SF framework testers. And I don't see them complaining, and asking for money (they do it as a hobby). Anyway, what does he need money for? He doesn't do anything! The website was already built, and it's not rocket science (just clumping together pieces of existing software developed by hard working hobbyists that don't ask you for money, such as pgn4web, and cutechess-cli, chatwing). And for doing nothing he still gets (little) advertising income.

Honestly, he should be fired, and we should have someone competent and passionate instead. There are so many people in this community that would do a better job… This situation is appaling.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.