What happend to TCEC?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alibaba

What happend to TCEC?

Post by Alibaba »

Hi, in the last TCEC Season in 2016 i heard that the next season will start in January 2017 with a lot of new participants...now it's April and i still see no new TCEC....

but there are a lot of new Engine Versions!!!!

Does anybody know some News about the TCEC delay???

Regards
Andi
Ozymandias

Re: What happend to TCEC?

Post by Ozymandias »

Yes, they're still trying to come to a conclusion about game 17, which was supposed to be announced at the end of November.

Unless I missed that, it never came.
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

I really liked last season`s TCEC but the lack of transparency really bugs me. There hasnt been any communication ever since last season ended :roll:
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Ozymandias wrote:Yes, they're still trying to come to a conclusion about game 17, which was supposed to be announced at the end of November.

Nobody cares about that game. It is trivial, and I sure hope that they aren't somehow confused about how to proceed.

TCEC is no longer run by Martin. That is the primary issue - plain and simple. A fellow who passionately loves computer chess for what it is, and who would like to see computer chess continue to move forward should be the one running the event. It is not that difficult to do. After seeing what happened with last season, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the new administrator. That guy should not be responsible for one of the best computer-chess tournaments to date.
styx

Post by styx »

What happened to Martin? Who is the tournament director now?
Gusev

Post by Gusev »

Alibaba wrote:Hi, in the last TCEC Season in 2016 i heard that the next season will start in January 2017 with a lot of new participants...now it's April and i still see no new TCEC....

Regards
Andi
Meanwhile, enjoy Season 4 of Purdue FOSCEC (free, open-source chess engine contest), http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 40&t=63781 :)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

CheckersGuy wrote:I really liked last season`s TCEC but the lack of transparency really bugs me. There hasnt been any communication ever since last season ended :roll:
+1 hoping for the best here
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Yes, they're still trying to come to a conclusion about game 17, which was supposed to be announced at the end of November.

Nobody cares about that game. It is trivial, and I sure hope that they aren't somehow confused about how to proceed.

TCEC is no longer run by Martin. That is the primary issue - plain and simple. A fellow who passionately loves computer chess for what it is, and who would like to see computer chess continue to move forward should be the one running the event. It is not that difficult to do. After seeing what happened with last season, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the new administrator. That guy should not be responsible for one of the best computer-chess tournaments to date.
Another +1 - sometimes you just don't know how good you have it until there is a change ...Martin ran it virtually flawlessly and with a tremendous amount of passion , will be hard to duplicate ...
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Alibaba wrote:Hi, in the last TCEC Season in 2016 i heard that the next season will start in January 2017 with a lot of new participants...now it's April and i still see no new TCEC....

Regards
Andi
I will be looking forward to next season, as soon as it looks like Komodo might be able to make a comeback.
Everything else that is happening will also be good to see. But the Komodo thing is the biggest thing I'm hoping to see if it is vastly improved.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:

Nobody cares about that game.
The important part of my post was supposed to be the link, not the game.