Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Cre

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.

rcmaddox
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: Winder, GA

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by rcmaddox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

"In Deep Thinking, Kasparov offers an engaging insight into his psychological state during the match. To a degree, he walks back on his earlier claims, concluding that although IBM probably did not cheat, it violated the spirit of fair competition by obscuring useful information."

In other words, the Deep Blue team unfairly followed the rules?

Uri
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Uri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.

Sean Evans
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Sean Evans » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Uri wrote:Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.
Wrong!

Uri
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Uri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Wrong!
Why is it wrong? Because you say so?

There are many instances of Kasparov making better moves than the computer.

User avatar
reflectionofpower
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: USA

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by reflectionofpower » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Sean Evans wrote:
Uri wrote:Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.
Wrong!
I agree with Sean's statement.
"hodie mihi, cras tibi"

Lonnie

Milos
Posts: 3331
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Milos » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 am

Uri wrote:Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.
Lol, congratz man, you are really the king of trolls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My cellphone running DroidFish would have at least 60% against Carlsen on FIDE time control. In blitz that would easily go to 80%.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 9051
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Laskos » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 am

Milos wrote:
Uri wrote:Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.
Lol, congratz man, you are really the king of trolls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My cellphone running DroidFish would have at least 60% against Carlsen on FIDE time control. In blitz that would easily go to 80%.
3 years old cheap cellphone.

Uri
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by Uri » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Milos wrote:Lol, congratz man, you are really the king of trolls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And you are the king of idiots.

Seriously, why are you guys so hostile?

melajara
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by melajara » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

It's a mere fact. Take whatever computer chess rating list (e.g. CEGT, CCRL, IPON), then read.

True, the Elo from each list is not calibrated on a reference human basepoint.

But I think, every specialist would agree that on the computer you mentioned in your fist post, the current top 3 programs
(Stockfish, Komodo, Houdini) should have at least a 3200+ Elo (and I'm VERY conservative), would their Elo be managed by FIDE
across regular participation of those programs competing on your hardware in human OTB tournaments.
Per ardua ad astra

Post Reply