RAM speed and engine strength

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: RAM speed and engine strength

Post by Leo »

From Wikipedia:

In March 2017, JEDEC announced its plan for the DDR5 specification release in 2018.[4] JEDEC's Server Forum 2017[5][6] claims a date to offer a DDR5 SDRAM preview on June 19, 2017 accompanied by a DDR5 SDRAM Workshop on October 31 – November 1, 2017.[7] Rambus announced a working DDR5 RAM prototype in September 2017, with availability not expected until 2019.[1]
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Leo

Post by Leo »

DRAM will live on as DDR5 memory is slated to reach computers in 2020

"Random access memory latency (RAM latency) refers to the delay that occurs in data transmission as data moves between computer RAM and the processor. RAM latency describes the amount of time it takes for the processor to retrieve data that is present somewhere in the RAM."
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

If Rambus has anything to do with ddr5 then I smell trouble in the future.
Anyway I suppose ddr5 wil have even worse latency timings.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Cardoso wrote:If Rambus has anything to do with ddr5 then I smell trouble in the future.
Why do you say that?
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Leo wrote:
Cardoso wrote:If Rambus has anything to do with ddr5 then I smell trouble in the future.
Why do you say that?
I guess he's referring to the initial P4 fiasco, although that had to do with prices and they're currently quite high, so that wouldn't be a problem right now.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Rambus is a patent buying company, then sues every other company that remotely uses some method/feature mentioned in the patents.
The company has engineers but they never came up with a good product.
The initial P4 RDRAM fiasco had to be solved/finished by Intel engineers. Later they abandoned RDRAM and moved to DDR.
Rambus is more like e patent fighting company than any other thing.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Cardoso wrote:Rambus is a patent buying company, then sues every other company that remotely uses some method/feature mentioned in the patents.
The initial P4 RDRAM fiasco had to be solved/finished by Intel engineers. Later they abandoned RDRAM and moved to DDR.
Rambus is more like a patent fighting company than any other thing.
This seems a bit strange to me.

Wouldn't a patent BUYING company be EXPECTED to sue when methods/features in the patent are used?

If not, what the hell is the purpose of their business? :)

Firstly, protection of methods/features is what a patent is for, and the fees to establish/purchase one aren't cheap.

Secondly, wouldn't a "patent buying companies" ONLY goal be to protect the intellectual property they've invested in? How else could they remain profitable? That's their ENTIRE investment.

I know little about the subject matter, but this verbiage just grabbed my attention.

Happy to learn more - this is an interesting topic.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Cardoso wrote:Rambus is a patent buying company, then sues every other company that remotely uses some method/feature mentioned in the patents.
In the US in the early 1980s there was a video game company named Oddessy. I read they made most of their money by suing other companies claiming they had a copyright on video games in general. Strange.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Leo wrote:
In the US in the early 1980s there was a video game company named Oddessy. I read they made most of their money by suing other companies claiming they had a copyright on video games in general. Strange.
Using 'edge' in a gametitle was troublesome too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games
Leo

Post by Leo »

F. Bluemers wrote:
Leo wrote:
Using 'edge' in a gametitle was troublesome too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games
LOL. Bizarre.