Komodo 11 is out!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eraserheads

Komodo 11 is out!

Post by Eraserheads »

lkaufman

Re: Komodo 11 is out!

Post by lkaufman »

Well, this is half-true. The ChessBase version is indeed out today. Normally our own release from Komodochess.com would have been out before the ChessBase version, but as it happens we found significant enhancements right after our ChessBase deadline and wanted to include them in our own release since without them the gain from Komodo 10.4 was too small to justify for us (not a problem for ChessBase since they can compare to Komodo 10). Due to family issues Mark couldn't get the improved version ready before the CB release.
So, we plan to release the improved version next week. If ChessBase offers it as a free upgrade we'll follow their lead on the name, if not we'll probably just put it out as Komodo 11.01 or even Komodo 11.1. We recommend that the testing groups NOT rate the ChessBase version but wait for our own release, since the improvements are probably greater than the improvements between Komodo 10.4 and Komodo 11 Chessbase. It's annoying that we found these gains after the CB deadline rather than before, but no one can predict when discoveries will be made. Better late than never!
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

At least you found new improvements pretty fast this time ! That is great news.
gogamoga

Post by gogamoga »

lkaufman wrote: but as it happens we found significant enhancements right after our ChessBase deadline and wanted to include them in our own release
you mean Stockfish team has found? :D
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

gogamoga wrote:
lkaufman wrote: but as it happens we found significant enhancements right after our ChessBase deadline and wanted to include them in our own release
you mean Stockfish team has found? :D
It would be nice if we could just put new SF ideas into Komodo and gain elo points, and I admit we do often try them, but they rarely work in Komodo. The differences between the two are too great. Just the fact that Stockfish got rid of half-plies while Komodo did not means that ideas optimized for Stockfish search are usually not optimal for Komodo. It seems to us that Stockfish has been adopting our ideas in the last couple years more than the other way around, perhaps coincidentally. For example, we were using a version of "Lazy SMP" long before Stockfish did, and I think SF switched after losing to us in TCEC. There are many other such instances.
Komodo rules!
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

Congrats to the Komodo team for a new strong release.
gogamoga wrote:you mean Stockfish team has found? :D
A lot of Stockfish's committed changes are simplification patches and tuning patches. These changes can't be applied to any other engine, except to clones. Stockfish also discusses and tries ideas from Komodo (search the fishcooking forum for lots of examples). The flow of ideas goes every way and it's what makes computer chess so strong.
Tdunbug

Post by Tdunbug »

brtzsnr wrote:Congrats to the Komodo team for a new strong release.
A lot of Stockfish's committed changes are simplification patches and tuning patches. These changes can't be applied to any other engine, except to clones. Stockfish also discusses and tries ideas from Komodo (search the fishcooking forum for lots of examples). The flow of ideas goes every way and it's what makes computer chess so strong.
This is a very true statement! One can only hope that the natural flow of cross sharing of ideas makes computer chess stronger. Whether coincidental or not.
voyagerOne

Post by voyagerOne »

@Larry

Congrats with you improvements.

Out of curiosity...Are you able to indulge what idea(s) from SF did help with Komodo?
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

Clearly a comment from a non-programmer with no appreciation for the complex non-linear interactions between the many components that make up a chess engine. Cut and paste engineering? Really? That's what you think the Komodo team is doing? Wow.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
Wwqlcw

Post by Wwqlcw »

I must say this is pretty cheesy as far as I'm concerned. My Komodo 10 + 1 year of updates expires in a week, and rather than announcing Komodo 10.5, I get hit with Komodo 11. I supported Dan back when he wasn't selling the program, merely asking his users/fans to help him out as much as we could... and so I did. And this is how his heirs repay me. Limburger.