Does anyone have a very old AMD machine ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Does anyone have a very old AMD machine ?

Post by Modern Times »

As you know our CCRL reference PC is a now ancient Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz) dating back to 2006 or so. Does anyone have something close to this running a 64-bit O/S ? We would be interested in knowing x64 Stockfish 8 bench results in milliseconds on such a machine (i.e. the "bench" command after double-clicking the exe). The official SF8 exe from https://stockfishchess.org/. And also the bench for the ancient Crafty we use which should be around 48 seconds
http://computerchess.org.uk/engines/Cra ... 7%20BH.zip

A long shot I know, but something not so old as that would also be useful.
Dann Corbit

Re: Does anyone have a very old AMD machine ?

Post by Dann Corbit »

My AMD machine has specs pretty close to that, and it is kind of old:

HP Proliant DL585 G7 4x AMD 6276 2.3ghz 64 Cores 128gb 4x 146gb P410i 4x1200w.

I only run Linux on that machine and I am not interested in putting Windows on it in a virtual machine either. So if a Linux bench will do, maybe I can run one for you.

I would need to know how many cores you want used.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks Dann.

Just one core. And that is what SF8 bench command uses by default. I think there is a Linux version of SF8 ? I can't see the Linux result being any different from Windows.

Perhaps the Crafty exe would run under Wine ?

Whatever you could do would be appreciated.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Modern Times wrote:As you know our CCRL reference PC is a now ancient Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz) dating back to 2006 or so. Does anyone have something close to this running a 64-bit O/S ?
That will be hard because back then, 64 bit was not common under Windows. Win XP did exist as 64 bit, but only theoretically because the driver support was lousy. Vista was released shortly after that point, but it was so unpopular that MS had to extend the XP support instead.

In fact, 64 bit didn't really take off with Windows until around 2009 when Win7 was released, and by then, the Athlon 64 X2 was already outdated.

What I can offer you is testing under Win7/x64 with an AMD Phenom2-x6 1100T, which is the last of the K10 architecture (Athlon 64 x2 is K9 AFAIR). You won't believe it, but that's my current desktop machine.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

Instead I'd beg you to stop using this ancient machine as your reference. Simply pick a new standard (say a 7700k) and change the heading on your 40/40 list to say 12/12 or whatever it benches out to be.

If you want a longer time control list again, start a new one. If you do start a new long time control list, another suggesting would be to get rid of repeating time controls. The standard now days is a time chunk plus increment.

Your hard work is appreciated and I enjoy the figures regardless of what you may decide!

My two cents however,
Mike
cdani

Post by cdani »

mbabigian wrote: If you want a longer time control list again, start a new one. If you do start a new long time control list, another suggesting would be to get rid of repeating time controls. The standard now days is a time chunk plus increment.
I personally like the repeating time controls. It allows really longer games when necessary.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

cdani wrote:
mbabigian wrote: If you want a longer time control list again, start a new one. If you do start a new long time control list, another suggesting would be to get rid of repeating time controls. The standard now days is a time chunk plus increment.
I personally like the repeating time controls. It allows really longer games when necessary.
Why not just set the increment and the start time the same?
Deasil is the right way to go.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

mbabigian wrote:Instead I'd beg you to stop using this ancient machine as your reference. Simply pick a new standard (say a 7700k) and change the heading on your 40/40 list to say 12/12 or whatever it benches out to be.

If you want a longer time control list again, start a new one. If you do start a new long time control list, another suggesting would be to get rid of repeating time controls. The standard now days is a time chunk plus increment.

Your hard work is appreciated and I enjoy the figures regardless of what you may decide!

My two cents however,
Mike
You are absolutely correct - the 40/40 games are not really 40/40 anymore with today's machines. Time to leave the past , and yes, 40 min base with 40 sec increment is much preferred over 40/40 in my view and that's how most of the authors are testing their engines anyway. At some point, bygones must left as bygones. +1 for calling it like it is...
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Ras wrote: What I can offer you is testing under Win7/x64 with an AMD Phenom2-x6 1100T, which is the last of the K10 architecture (Athlon 64 x2 is K9 AFAIR). You won't believe it, but that's my current desktop machine.
I have one of those myself, brilliant machines.

Many of us were running 64-bit Windows XP back in those days. It was released April 2005.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Ray, the following motherboard is available at a local shop, "GA-M69GM-S2H+CPU Athlon 64X2 4200/2,2GHz+2*1GB DDR2". I could run the benchmarks on it, but would the results from that board be useful for you?

Someone confirm the Crafty benchmark runs under Wine, and if so, which version:

Code: Select all

~$ wine --version