Best Computer Chess System (no budget)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Best Computer Chess System (no budget)

Post by ouachita »

I have begun to look for a new system (>16 CPU) and figured the experts here would know or have an opinion. Just as a starting point, something like an Asus X99-M WS and Intel Xeon E5-2697 V4 2.3GHz Eighteen Core 45MB 145W, there's likely better stuff out there though.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Re: Best Computer Chess System (no budget)

Post by Cardoso »

If there is no budget restrictions, then why not go to an AMD EPYC system?
Having said that, if you value using several engines, then some will not scale so well with more threads, so maybe a system with less cores but more clock frequency may make sense.
So my suggestion is to wait a bit more and see.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

Thanks. Perhaps the new AMD or Intel 10-cores might be better. I assume these programs still limit us to a single socket platform like the X99?
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

ouachita wrote:I have begun to look for a new system (>16 CPU) and figured the experts here would know or have an opinion. Just as a starting point, something like an Asus X99-M WS and Intel Xeon E5-2697 V4 2.3GHz Eighteen Core 45MB 145W, there's likely better stuff out there though.
Detail what you'll do with the machine. If you'll analyize positions, which program will you use and how many positions will you be 'digging into' at at a given moment?

I researched this a few months ago and the top machine was, and this was speculation only, an overclocked 6950. The proof would be a match between such a machine and a top of the line Xeon.

No one has organized such a match. It would require use of each machine for 12 hours. Easy to organize if nominal fees were paid to the machine owners.
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

ouachita wrote:I have begun to look for a new system (>16 CPU) and figured the experts here would know or have an opinion. Just as a starting point, something like an Asus X99-M WS and Intel Xeon E5-2697 V4 2.3GHz Eighteen Core 45MB 145W, there's likely better stuff out there though.
Why not rent a computer resources on the side?
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Intel Flagship: Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition 18 cores. Speed 4.5 GHz on i9.
AMD Flagship: Ryzen 9 Threadripper 1950X CPU 16 cores and 32 threads.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

ouachita wrote:Thanks. Perhaps the new AMD or Intel 10-cores might be better. I assume these programs still limit us to a single socket platform like the X99?
If by "these programs" you mean "cpus" I'm sure there will be both single and multi socket motherboards.
If you really mean "programs", I think stockfish is NUMA aware, but not many other engines will work well on NUMA systems.
I really think AMD threadripper will be a good option, but the new Intel i9s will be good too or better.

About AMD EPYC, please check the following link:
http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

86M NPS is not too shabby. Pay a pretty penny for it, though.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

You are definitely starting to look at the right time - two months after the i9's 7980xe's are out every single processor out there will be about 20-25% -lower (or more!) than where they are now and the top dog will be the 7980xe
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Leo wrote:Intel Flagship: Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition 18 cores. Speed 4.5 GHz on i9.
AMD Flagship: Ryzen 9 Threadripper 1950X CPU 16 cores and 32 threads.
EPYC chips have more compute power than Threadripper. But they are really expensive.

But if "no budget" means unlimited dollars, then one of the 2 x Epyc machines would probably offer the maximum horsepower.
A pair of Epyc 7601 will run $8000 just for the CPUs.

Configure away:
http://www.serversdirect.com/Servers/id ... 2023US-TR4
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.