Best Computer Chess System (no budget)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: Best Computer Chess System (no budget)

Post by ouachita »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies. Perhaps I should have said from the outset that the system will be used for both engineering work and ICCF chess.

I'm reasonably confident that scaling is not a significant problem today, and have always been a fan of more cores. I'm sure i9 7xxxxx would be great, but my heart is more in Intel's coming Xeon Platinum/Gold lineup of 24/48 cores
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Quote from another user "That has been my experience with the Intel Xeon E5-2686-V3, 2 X 18 = 36 physical cores. Using the system with one process (chess infinite analysis) has been quite disappointing. The time-to-depth, using asmFish, is inferior to that provided by my 6-core Intel 4930k. "
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

I guess all I can say about yours is that my experience has been that cores = kN/s and kN/s = ELO, so I'm addicted to kN/s. The more the better. 100k would be great.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Leo wrote:Quote from another user "That has been my experience with the Intel Xeon E5-2686-V3, 2 X 18 = 36 physical cores. Using the system with one process (chess infinite analysis) has been quite disappointing. The time-to-depth, using asmFish, is inferior to that provided by my 6-core Intel 4930k. "
That particular case could be attributed to a misconfigured system or the user simply not knowing what he's doing. Besides, as has been explained multiple time on this forum time-to-depth is not a good measure of an engine's performance if that engine uses Lazy SMP. He'd have to calculate the average of a large number of runs on a single position to get some meaningful numbers, which I doubt was the case.