Kasparov-Deep Thought 1997 (second game)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Kasparov-Deep Thought 1997 (second game)

Post by Dann Corbit »

peter wrote:Hi Dann!
Dann Corbit wrote: The final position of a pv is pretty well useless.
It contains crap like quiescent search nodes.
Not only the final moves of output- lines contain crap, but in this one "already" 19th (counted from new start) reaches a drawn 7some position
A 36 ply search I trust for one node, unless it is a gambit, in which case I still don't trust it.

A 40 ply search is good for about 3 nodes.

Right now, I am analyzing some of Jeroen's positions at one hour each on my 64 core Unix box. Some of his positions are real computer killers. I have seen quite a few that look like a win and then suddenly drop to drawish.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Because of the state of tension with this analysis, I decided to stop posting any position, tree, or search related with the game. A dead draw will always remain a dead draw, and it's not worth further efforts.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Because of the state of tension with this analysis, I decided to stop posting any position, tree, or search related with the game. A dead draw will always remain a dead draw, and it's not worth further efforts.
The reason for Spassky-Fischer (29...Bxh2) endgame is excessive analysed is because it's desirable to know whether black can draw in many of the sub-variations, deviating from the main game and check most relevant branches.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Nordlandia wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Because of the state of tension with this analysis, I decided to stop posting any position, tree, or search related with the game. A dead draw will always remain a dead draw, and it's not worth further efforts.
The reason for Spassky-Fischer (29...Bxh2) endgame is excessive analysed is because it's desirable to know whether black can draw in many of the sub-variations, deviating from the main game and check most relevant branches.
I agree, but in this case everyone who tried to perform some serious analysis always got overwhelmed by nonsenses. When someone tries to fool others with unexisting scores again and again, it could be a lot frustrating. As if all chess players of this forum were dummies. One eventually gets tired.

In fact, there are many skilled chess players here. I think each of them is worth of respect. I like very much to share analysis with them, and it's a pity each topic gets ruined by a "I know everything, and you are nobody" buggy subroutine.

Thanks, anyway. :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Nordlandia wrote:
I agree, but in this case everyone who tried to perform some serious analysis always got overwhelmed by nonsenses. When someone tries to fool others with unexisting scores again and again, it could be a lot frustrating. As if all chess players of this forum were dummies. One eventually gets tired.

In fact, there are many skilled chess players here. I think each of them is worth of respect. I like very much to share analysis with them, and it's a pity each topic gets ruined by a "I know everything, and you are nobody" buggy subroutine.

Thanks, anyway. :)
BTW, I think the two games (Spasski-Fischer and Deep Blue-Kasparov) share an important aspect, the psychologic one. Before the match, Fischer declared "I'll defeat Spasski 13-0". The matches with Taimanov, Larsen and Petrosjan convinced Fischer he was far, far stronger. He felt the need to win all games at any cost and he forced with Bxh2. It was still draw, but the fact to become suddenly aware of an impossible win was devastating. So he blundered and lost.

Kasparov, psychologically, resigned before 45.Ra6. He felt the game was lost and he possibly expected 45.Qd7+. So, emotionally, he wasn't in the best condition to perform a "cold" search. When a GM feels he can complicate a lost game, he usually does. But, as I said, Kasparov already resigned before DB move...
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

[Moderation] To everyone: please refrain from personal attacks.

And don't argue with the moderators in public unless you want to be banned. If you object to certain posts, report them through their report button.

Please stay on topic (which is a chess game, in case you forgot, and not who trolls where).
Last edited by hgm on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leto

Post by Leto »

So in conclusion Kasparov is wrong in his new book, black is not lost after 45.Ra6 and therefore Deep Blue 2.0 almost allowed Kasparov to draw with the awful 45.Ra6.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Leto wrote:So in conclusion Kasparov is wrong in his new book, black is not lost after 45.Ra6 and therefore Deep Blue 2.0 almost allowed Kasparov to draw with the awful 45.Ra6.
I spent many hours in search of a winning line, but I couldn't find any. I just think Kasparov's mind was having dinner... just waiting for DB move to resign. :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Leto wrote:So in conclusion Kasparov is wrong in his new book, black is not lost after 45.Ra6 and therefore Deep Blue 2.0 almost allowed Kasparov to draw with the awful 45.Ra6.
not at all.

how did you conclude that?

I just stopped with the analysis, as I got tired.

it is far from easy to oppose 10 people.

there are many mainlines still to be investigated.

and again, white having advantage for the next 50 moves or so is not very much a straightforward draw, is it?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

A correct summary, at least according to http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=64627 .