Ipad vs Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JManion

Ipad vs Android

Post by JManion »

I have always had android tablets and phones. Just got my first Ipad. What is the best chess app to go over games? Aka use an engine and an opening book. I am used to chessbase and droidfish. If the app could stockfish and also my .ctg opening book that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the advice.
royb

Re: Ipad vs Android

Post by royb »

JManion wrote:I have always had android tablets and phones. Just got my first Ipad. What is the best chess app to go over games? Aka use an engine and an opening book. I am used to chessbase and droidfish. If the app could stockfish and also my .ctg opening book that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the advice.
There are a lot of chess apps for iPad. Ones I make use of most:

Chess Studio (database of PGN games, with Stockfish as analysis engine)
SmallFish (Stockfish version from sometime around April 2017)

For playing against, I enjoy Chess Pro (Christophe Theron), Hiarcs Chess, and Shredder.
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

Maybe give my App OpeningTree a try, it's free as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opening ... 14935?mt=8

It has an opening book, Crafty Engine Analysis and you can import PGN files.
Lion

Post by Lion »

royb wrote:
JManion wrote:I have always had android tablets and phones. Just got my first Ipad. What is the best chess app to go over games? Aka use an engine and an opening book. I am used to chessbase and droidfish. If the app could stockfish and also my .ctg opening book that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the advice.

For playing against, I enjoy Chess Pro (Christophe Theron), Hiarcs Chess, and Shredder.
Hello,
I am very interested in Chess Studio and seems to tick all the boxes I need except that when running the Stockfish 8 Engine, it indicates about 1'300 kn/s instead of about 4'200 on my IPad Pro 10.5.

Does it not use all cores ?

Rgds
royb

Post by royb »

Lion wrote:
royb wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Hello,
I am very interested in Chess Studio and seems to tick all the boxes I need except that when running the Stockfish 8 Engine, it indicates about 1'300 kn/s instead of about 4'200 on my IPad Pro 10.5.

Rgds
I do not know for sure. It gets close to the same depth in roughly the same time as my laptop. I use it for analysis a lot and it serves me well, spotting lots of things GMs miss in their games as I analyze them.
royb

Post by royb »

Lion wrote:
royb wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Hello,

Rgds
I've now found out that Chess Studio does in fact use only a single core. Perhaps we can petition the developer to support multiple cores?
Dariusz
Full name: Dariusz Domagała

Post by Dariusz »

Hi

I have got best of the best apps for IOS (iPad, iPhone)

Follow chess, brilliant app for watching online tournaments
Analyze This, the best analyzer with Stockfish, 3200 elo
Hiarcs Chess, very friendly good app, from 800 to 3000 elo
Shredder, very intuitive app, I like it very much, from 800 to 2800 elo
SmallChess, amazing apps with many useful things, from 800 to 2700 elo
ChesGenius, strong engine, many levels, max 2500 elo
LiChess, best platform for playing online

I don't have Chess Pro with ChessTiger engine - also very good with big teaching module.
Regards, Darius
https://chessengeria.eu
Lion

Post by Lion »

According to the developer, it uses all cores.
What is strange to me other than the number of kn/s shown, is that the engine output seems very different to I.e. SmallFish...... ?
royb

Post by royb »

Lion wrote:According to the developer, it uses all cores.
What is strange to me other than the number of kn/s shown, is that the engine output seems very different to I.e. SmallFish...... ?
I believe Chess Studio uses Stockfish 8. Smallfish now uses a somewhat recent development version of Stockfish so it's Stockfish8+ in essence.

That may be one reason why the engine output differs between Chess Studio and Smallfish.
royb

Post by royb »

Dariusz wrote:Hi

I have got best of the best apps for IOS (iPad, iPhone)

Follow chess, brilliant app for watching online tournaments
Analyze This, the best analyzer with Stockfish, 3200 elo
Hiarcs Chess, very friendly good app, from 800 to 3000 elo
Shredder, very intuitive app, I like it very much, from 800 to 2800 elo
SmallChess, amazing apps with many useful things, from 800 to 2700 elo
ChesGenius, strong engine, many levels, max 2500 elo
LiChess, best platform for playing online

I don't have Chess Pro with ChessTiger engine - also very good with big teaching module.
Nice addition to my collection: Analyze This.

I had not spotted that one before. Thanks! It is indeed very fast to depth 30 on my iPad Pro 9.7 inch system (about 2.5 minutes to get there). I would expect that to correspond to about 3200 ELO as you mentioned.