thinking a while about a new rating system.
I need different things from a GUI.
1. Game abort / terminate after move x
GUI saved games in *.pgn and in additional with last eval from both engines in *.epd / *.csv file format.
*.epd, better for Excel is *.csv file Format. Needed for different additional ideas (Excel calculation workbook for other ranking system ideas).
mate = 3 points
higher as 3.00 eval = 3 points
higher as 2.50 eval = 2.5 points
higher as 2.00 eval = 2.0 points
-0.25 - +0.50 = 1.0 point (draw position)
Should be not the part of the GUI.
A strong point system can be much more interesting as ELO. Can be developed in Excel.
2. To such games it should be possible to saved during the still running game the position with eval from both engines after move x too. Important for optimizations from opening books.
Game abort / termination after move: ... 50
; user can set the move number ... 50 or 40 or directly for pure opening book optimization 18 (one of the 500 ECO codes formed after move 14).
Saved position during the game in *.epd after move: ... 18
; user can set 18 for an example. GUI saved with eval from both engines.
For opening book optimization.
Saved end position in *.epd / *.csv (yes / no)
; GUI saved end postion with eval from both engines.
For a new rating system.
And very important 1:
; resign mode
Set the result 1:0 or 0:1 if eval higher as: ... 3.00 for an example after I terminate for an example with move number 50, in all other cases GUI abort / terminate with draw.
User can set: (-) 3.00 or what user like.
And very important 2:
Load position from PGN database: Name of database (user select the directory)
Save tag x from "PGN Random database" as comment in PGN file
In Arena development times we added the feature "PGN-Random". In times Arena don't have own opening book features at first. I am thinking at this times, opening book options are boring / not necessary if we have PGN-Random.
Per random the GUI load a position from a checked *.pgn database as start position and saved the engine-engine game with the following information:
Start position number: x
Have a look here:
In Feobos we developed a "Ranking System" for start opening positions.
Code: Select all
[Event "FEOBOS, Rank 00001"]
[Source "Frank Quisinsky"]
1. e4 c6 2. Nf3 c5 3. d3 e6 4. d4 cxd4 5. Nxd4 Nf6 6. Nc3 Nc6 7. Bg5 d6 8.
Qd3 Be7 9. O-O-O Nxd4 10. Qxd4 O-O 11. f3 a6 12. h4 b5 1/2-1/2
[Event "FEOBOS, Rank 00002"]
[Source "Frank Quisinsky"]
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 d5 4. Nf3 Bb4+ 5. Bd2 Be7 6. Bg2 O-O 7. O-O c6
Important for Cutechess to save in *.pgn file the first tag, maybe users need an other tag for it (other ideas):
[Event "FEOBOS, Rank 00001"] as game comment before the first move calculated by an engine.
Better is to save the "ranking number" as "round number".
Very special, but if you like you can added the final FEOBOS result as PGN-Random database for your CuteChess project. Final result will be available around middle - end of January 2018.
Such options I need in your / Cutechess tournament configuration!
So I can play a tournament with 20 engines and GUI terminate after move 50 and saved the files I need for a direct calculation in ELO, maybe later with a new Excel calculation System / point-system.
And all that in my bad English ...
Sorry for that.
If we have all this material in a GUI we have the follwoing advantages:
1. FCP Rating List with over 300.000 games and without resign factor have a game / move average from 88 moves (TOP-50 chess programs). With terminate after 50 moves we can produced 40% more games. We can used higher time controls ... I have interest to do that with i9 systems and 20 cores with 5Ghz.
2. Endgames are very boring and engines, like Komodo and Stockfish, others are playing a near to perfect endgame and transpostion into endgame. I must not seen that again and again. No interest to produced thousands of games with more as 200 moves per game or the check again and again endgame databases like Nalimov, others.
3. We have strong material for opening book optimization and can used CuteChess as program for it. Thats more the future of computer chess because the last advantage the human have in the first playing phase.
4. We have the possibilty to used other programs in combination with CuteChess for additional statistics (like Excel).
5. And we can looking in the first 50 moves only, in my humble opinion much more interesting for humans, can produced more games, more material for statistics. With the results: Much more fun in visiting engine-engines matches.
Stefan Meyer Kahlen (programmer of Shredder) saved positions not only in *.epd ... in *.csv too (important for Excel). A great idea, without the idea, FEOBOS isn't possible, means the Excel workbook we developed.
Example (*.csv file, a Wasp analysis):
epd, ok?, sol time, sol ply, time, ply, eval, nps, nodes, pv
r1bqkb1r/ppp3pp/2np1n2/4p3/4pP2/2NP2P1/PPP3BP/R1BQK1NR w KQkq - id "001", wrong, , , 60, 23, 0, 10102275, 605938962, dxe4 Be7 Nf3 O-O f5 Kh8 O-O b6 Ng5 Nd4 Ne2 Nc6 Nc3
Example (*.epd file, the same Wasp analysis):
r1bqkb1r/ppp3pp/2np1n2/4p3/4pP2/2NP2P1/PPP3BP/R1BQK1NR w KQkq - id "001"; ce 0; acd 23; acs 60; acn 605938962; pv dxe4 Be7 Nf3 O-O f5 Kh8 O-O b6 Ng5 Nd4 Ne2 Nc6 Nc3 ;
Or better if you like to to that:
Please download on the the FEOBOS engine analysis from Download Cockpit on FEOBOS site:
Without *.csv file very complicated to use Excel for additional statistic material.