In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Dann Corbit
Posts: 10128
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 am

The SSDF is now using AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, which is an 8-core processor at 3.6 GHz. They have opted for 16 GB RAM as standard on this hardware.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:00 am

Dann Corbit wrote:The SSDF is now using AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, which is an 8-core processor at 3.6 GHz. They have opted for 16 GB RAM as standard on this hardware.
what is SSDF?

I understand in the past, but now?

last tested SF version: SF 6 ??

don't see there Houdini either.

so, if we can conclude anything from there, only existing engines are Komodo(all versions tested), Shredder, and Hiarcs.

sorry, but I can not accept that for realistic, more like a joke.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4716
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Rebel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:35 am

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:The SSDF is now using AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, which is an 8-core processor at 3.6 GHz. They have opted for 16 GB RAM as standard on this hardware.
what is SSDF?

I understand in the past, but now?
We still honor them for what they did in the past, as first one offer a platform for competition long before we heard of Lyudmil Tsvetkov :lol:

We still honor them now for willing to play LTC games + permanent brain + opening books + allowing learning software, meaning a rating list where programs are allowed to compete on their strongest settings.

Milton
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:58 pm

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Milton » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 am

For sure it does not have the most recent versions of programs. But I still like it because it is the only list, as far as I know, that tests at 40 moves in 2 hrs.

Modern Times
Posts: 2410
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Modern Times » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 am

Fantastic to see this new hardware. Their list is unique in many ways. I always like to see it.
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 am

Rebel wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:The SSDF is now using AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, which is an 8-core processor at 3.6 GHz. They have opted for 16 GB RAM as standard on this hardware.
what is SSDF?

I understand in the past, but now?
We still honor them for what they did in the past, as first one offer a platform for competition long before we heard of Lyudmil Tsvetkov :lol:

We still honor them now for willing to play LTC games + permanent brain + opening books + allowing learning software, meaning a rating list where programs are allowed to compete on their strongest settings.
permanent brain = bad;
opening books = bad;
learning features = bad;

how much more difficult it is to test SF8(latest development) instead of SF 6?

why test SF 6?

why not test Houdini?

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:00 am

Modern Times wrote:Fantastic to see this new hardware. Their list is unique in many ways. I always like to see it.
unique in many ways, but how relevant?

is not the purpose of tests finding the strongest engine?

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4716
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by Rebel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:08 am

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:The SSDF is now using AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, which is an 8-core processor at 3.6 GHz. They have opted for 16 GB RAM as standard on this hardware.
what is SSDF?

I understand in the past, but now?
We still honor them for what they did in the past, as first one offer a platform for competition long before we heard of Lyudmil Tsvetkov :lol:

We still honor them now for willing to play LTC games + permanent brain + opening books + allowing learning software, meaning a rating list where programs are allowed to compete on their strongest settings.
permanent brain = bad;
opening books = bad;
learning features = bad;
Are table bases also bad?

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 16193
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by mclane » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 am

How many nps is stockfish doing on this hardware running on 8 cores ?!

As far as I see it, such a pc costs areound 1000 euro naked.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

attakinski
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 10:23 am

Re: In case you missed it: SSDF, shiny new hardware...

Post by attakinski » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 am

Ed and Ray : I agree!

Post Reply