The Secret of Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Locked
User avatar
cdani
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 am
Location: Andorra
Contact:

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by cdani » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 pm

BeyondCritics wrote:Do you think your program is so strong, since you believe in Lyudmil?
There are a lot of ideas to think about, and some worked already on various engines; more than enough :-)

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33225
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm

All the best with your sales Lyudmil. Looks like a lot of effort has gone into it. 8-)
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

carldaman
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by carldaman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:Good luck, Lyudmil - hope there are a lot of potential buyers here, maybe among the up-and-coming programmers. :) Of course, not everyone skilled at writing code has also the chess know-how.

cheers,
CL
Hi Carl.

thanks for dropping by! :)

of course, you know you are due a free version.

unless you already attempted to buy it, please drop me a mail at the address specified at the site.

a couple of other people here, most notably Louis Zulli and Joerg Oster, are also due this service, but I am so busy with different things right now, that I barely have the time to think of what I should be doing right.
Thanks for the kind and generous offer, Lyudmil, but I've decided to support your project by actually buying a copy. :) [I've asked an anonymous non-chess friend of mine with paypal access to make the purchase for me. You should see it today, most likely.] If you follow some of the good marketing advice given in this thread, I'm sure you will reap quite a few more sales in the future.

Cheers,
CL
8-)

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:39 am

carldaman wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:Good luck, Lyudmil - hope there are a lot of potential buyers here, maybe among the up-and-coming programmers. :) Of course, not everyone skilled at writing code has also the chess know-how.

cheers,
CL
Hi Carl.

thanks for dropping by! :)

of course, you know you are due a free version.

unless you already attempted to buy it, please drop me a mail at the address specified at the site.

a couple of other people here, most notably Louis Zulli and Joerg Oster, are also due this service, but I am so busy with different things right now, that I barely have the time to think of what I should be doing right.
Thanks for the kind and generous offer, Lyudmil, but I've decided to support your project by actually buying a copy. :) [I've asked an anonymous non-chess friend of mine with paypal access to make the purchase for me. You should see it today, most likely.] If you follow some of the good marketing advice given in this thread, I'm sure you will reap quite a few more sales in the future.

Cheers,
CL
8-)
thanks a lot, Carl, but it was not necessary...

maybe you will still claim your due copy, that you can present to your anonymous friend, or someone else you choose interested in chess. :)

please write a mail to the address on the site.

I guess you will like a lot the small section about pointed chains(and I insist here it is 'pointed', and not 'pointy').
they are partly, at least emotionally, related to you.

the spearhead concept, on the other hand, I mean the name, stems directly from you.
maybe it has been a well-known English-language term, but I learned that from you.

you will certainly like the small part about spearhead connected passers.

concerning following good advice, of course, you are right, the point is that I am mostly unobtrusive and completely economically awkward.

thanks again and drop a mail.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:42 am

Graham Banks wrote:All the best with your sales Lyudmil. Looks like a lot of effort has gone into it. 8-)
many thanks, Graham.

it was not easy, I mean, putting it down to file was more or less straightforward, but collecting all the necessary information took a lot of time.

carldaman
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by carldaman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 am

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:Good luck, Lyudmil - hope there are a lot of potential buyers here, maybe among the up-and-coming programmers. :) Of course, not everyone skilled at writing code has also the chess know-how.

cheers,
CL
Hi Carl.

thanks for dropping by! :)

of course, you know you are due a free version.

unless you already attempted to buy it, please drop me a mail at the address specified at the site.

a couple of other people here, most notably Louis Zulli and Joerg Oster, are also due this service, but I am so busy with different things right now, that I barely have the time to think of what I should be doing right.
Thanks for the kind and generous offer, Lyudmil, but I've decided to support your project by actually buying a copy. :) [I've asked an anonymous non-chess friend of mine with paypal access to make the purchase for me. You should see it today, most likely.] If you follow some of the good marketing advice given in this thread, I'm sure you will reap quite a few more sales in the future.

Cheers,
CL
8-)
thanks a lot, Carl, but it was not necessary...

maybe you will still claim your due copy, that you can present to your anonymous friend, or someone else you choose interested in chess. :)

please write a mail to the address on the site.

I guess you will like a lot the small section about pointed chains(and I insist here it is 'pointed', and not 'pointy').
they are partly, at least emotionally, related to you.

the spearhead concept, on the other hand, I mean the name, stems directly from you.
maybe it has been a well-known English-language term, but I learned that from you.

you will certainly like the small part about spearhead connected passers.

concerning following good advice, of course, you are right, the point is that I am mostly unobtrusive and completely economically awkward.

thanks again and drop a mail.
Thanks again, I'll do that in a few days when I have a bit more free time. Hopefully, I can get around to reading thru your book soon. :)

I had the feeling you'd be mentioning the spearhead pawn and the pointed chains. Yes, 'pointed' is more formal and appropriate for this context. I was just having some impish fun with 'pointy'. The words keep reminding me of Mr. Spock's ears. :twisted:

Back then, I had a very good time participating in that discussion about pawn chains. Ironically, I was off on sick leave for a few weeks during that stretch, otherwise my contribution would have been nil. I certainly don't miss the illness, though!

In retrospect, it seems more strong engines now prefer to 'extend the chain', 2.5 years later, something I am glad about. :D

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 am

carldaman wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
carldaman wrote:Good luck, Lyudmil - hope there are a lot of potential buyers here, maybe among the up-and-coming programmers. :) Of course, not everyone skilled at writing code has also the chess know-how.

cheers,
CL
Hi Carl.

thanks for dropping by! :)

of course, you know you are due a free version.

unless you already attempted to buy it, please drop me a mail at the address specified at the site.

a couple of other people here, most notably Louis Zulli and Joerg Oster, are also due this service, but I am so busy with different things right now, that I barely have the time to think of what I should be doing right.
Thanks for the kind and generous offer, Lyudmil, but I've decided to support your project by actually buying a copy. :) [I've asked an anonymous non-chess friend of mine with paypal access to make the purchase for me. You should see it today, most likely.] If you follow some of the good marketing advice given in this thread, I'm sure you will reap quite a few more sales in the future.

Cheers,
CL
8-)
thanks a lot, Carl, but it was not necessary...

maybe you will still claim your due copy, that you can present to your anonymous friend, or someone else you choose interested in chess. :)

please write a mail to the address on the site.

I guess you will like a lot the small section about pointed chains(and I insist here it is 'pointed', and not 'pointy').
they are partly, at least emotionally, related to you.

the spearhead concept, on the other hand, I mean the name, stems directly from you.
maybe it has been a well-known English-language term, but I learned that from you.

you will certainly like the small part about spearhead connected passers.

concerning following good advice, of course, you are right, the point is that I am mostly unobtrusive and completely economically awkward.

thanks again and drop a mail.
Thanks again, I'll do that in a few days when I have a bit more free time. Hopefully, I can get around to reading thru your book soon. :)

I had the feeling you'd be mentioning the spearhead pawn and the pointed chains. Yes, 'pointed' is more formal and appropriate for this context. I was just having some impish fun with 'pointy'. The words keep reminding me of Mr. Spock's ears. :twisted:

Back then, I had a very good time participating in that discussion about pawn chains. Ironically, I was off on sick leave for a few weeks during that stretch, otherwise my contribution would have been nil. I certainly don't miss the illness, though!

In retrospect, it seems more strong engines now prefer to 'extend the chain', 2.5 years later, something I am glad about. :D
hi Carl.

please send me a mail just now, later you might forget, or should I be back with a present to a person whose yahoo mail address has 78 in it?

your impish fun might have entered an official publication. :shock:

well, engines tend to improve in certain areas, but I would not quite say pointed chains with closed positions in the center are one of their strengths today.

more likely, one of the things they understand the least.

I guess you should be on a permanent sick leave. :)

carldaman
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by carldaman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: yahoo mail address has 78 in it?

...

I guess you should be on a permanent sick leave. :)
Neither that, nor a permanent vacation would pay the bills, though... ;-/
Speaking of which, I hope to more than skim thru the book once I'm on vacation (not yet). :)

(the yahoo email should be ok, thanks)

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 pm

carldaman wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: yahoo mail address has 78 in it?

...

I guess you should be on a permanent sick leave. :)
Neither that, nor a permanent vacation would pay the bills, though... ;-/
Speaking of which, I hope to more than skim thru the book once I'm on vacation (not yet). :)

(the yahoo email should be ok, thanks)
a package of a permanent vacation + a permanent sick leave seems ven better. :)

will be impatiently waiting for some of your feedback, even if in only a couple of months, when you are thru: your feedback is very important to me.

S.Taylor
Posts: 8368
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:25 am
Location: Jerusalem Israel

Re: The Secret of Chess

Post by S.Taylor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Hello everyone.

I wrote a new book, titled 'The Secret of Chess'.

It is available for a modest charge here: http://www.secretofchess.com

I would have offered the book free to everyone on this forum, but, unfortunately, I had to leave my job couple of years ago, to be able to fully concentrate on chess.

So, my only alternative to trying to sell a few copies would be to go taxi-driving. (In Bulgaria, most educated people drive taxis)

More about the book and some excerpts on the above site.

PS. If anyone buys, please advise if things work, I am doing this for the first time.
I think this belongs to chess players forum, as it is about human chess.

If not, then I think we should abolish the chess players forum.

(yes it looks like it must be a very interesting book, certainly an interesting title).

Locked