Avast-AsmFishW

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

Avast-AsmFishW

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Not a match. :)

I tried to download latest AsmFishW but Avast blocks it, detecting a malware. I don't believe there's something wrong with AsmFishW, but I'd like to know if someone else got some problems with it.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
retep1

Re: Avast-AsmFishW

Post by retep1 »

I don't have Avast, i have Malwarebytes and G-Data and they say nothing about these exe-files.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Not a match. :)

I tried to download latest AsmFishW but Avast blocks it, detecting a malware. I don't believe there's something wrong with AsmFishW, but I'd like to know if someone else got some problems with it.
I have also the free Avast version but no problem with downloading AsmFish. (all possible downloads for 08/08)
Of course it is possible that I already had changed some settings in the web safety options, because it was overreacting in the past ;-)

Ok I see now you probably mean something different! Avast blocks it after downloading when executing it.
Obviously a false posititive, in this case one just has to define some exception rule.
If someone sends it to Avast for scrutinizing, it will be ruled out in the future - I am too lazy for this though. (Avast wants all kind of info for sending it)

Guenther
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

I downloaded the latest asmFish for Linux. I didn't scan for malware. When I ran the engine, it emptied my bank account (very fast, thanks to the hand-coded assembly), ordered seven movies from Amazon, and took naked pictures of my cat.

I've learned my lesson, and will now be switching to Windows.:wink:
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Guenther wrote:

I have also the free Avast version but no problem with downloading AsmFish. (all possible downloads for 08/08)
Of course it is possible that I already had changed some settings in the web safety options, because it was overreacting in the past ;-)

Ok I see now you probably mean something different! Avast blocks it after downloading when executing it.
Obviously a false posititive, in this case one just has to define some exception rule.
If someone sends it to Avast for scrutinizing, it will be ruled out in the future - I am too lazy for this though. (Avast wants all kind of info for sending it)

Guenther
My Avast doesn't allow downloading it... So I guess I should change some settings too. And, as for matter of being lazy, I'm not going to send any report to Avast team. :)

Thanks.
zullil wrote:

I downloaded the latest asmFish for Linux. I didn't scan for malware. When I ran the engine, it emptied my bank account (very fast, thanks to the hand-coded assembly), ordered seven movies from Amazon, and took naked pictures of my cat.

I've learned my lesson, and will now be switching to Windows.:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll send AsmFishW link to some people I don't like, warning them it works at its best under Linux, then...
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Zerbinati

Post by Zerbinati »

Simply a false positive.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Zerbinati wrote:

Simply a false positive.
That was my guess too. :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

I downloaded the file asmFishW_2017-05-21.7z and then uploaded it to
virustotal, file was cleared by all AV there.

Maybe depends on where you've donwloaded your file, whats the checksum of your file

Code: Select all

0/58  flagged this as dangerous

SHA-256 1dae9ca82a019ff1cb615d40294c2f9b0463a1ea3534d680fadb9a2596b1d538
File name	asmFishW_2017-05-21.7z
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1dae9 ... /detection

I assume almost all AV there knows how to unpack first then scan ; )

Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

MikeGL wrote:

I downloaded the file asmFishW_2017-05-21.7z and then uploaded it to
virustotal, file was cleared by all AV there.

Maybe depends on where you've donwloaded your file, whats the checksum of your file

0/58  flagged this as dangerous

SHA-256 1dae9ca82a019ff1cb615d40294c2f9b0463a1ea3534d680fadb9a2596b1d538
File name	asmFishW_2017-05-21.7z
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1dae9 ... /detection

I assume almost all AV there knows how to unpack first then scan ; )

It was from Lyudmil Antonov Github executables.

I just tried with latest version. (I had to disable Avast to download it, let us hope my bank account will have no consequences...)

SHA256:	138d7194011927b48730acb83f153efac4bc7387f27e5cd1efd20109065aba7f
Nome del file:	asmFishW_2017-08-08_popcnt.exe
Rapporto rilevamento:	1 / 63
Data analisi:	2017-08-08 12:12:35 UTC 

https://www.virustotal.com/it/file/138d ... 502194355/
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
lantonov

Post by lantonov »

It seems that Avast labels executables below certain size as viruses. There are reports that Stockfish 32 (size below 850 kb) has been reported as virus by Avast. If there is some threshold adjustment in Avast, set it to 100 kb (asmFishes are a little above it).