Mark Lefler and irma

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Mark Lefler and irma

Post by hgm »

If you want to worry, worry about being killed in a car accident.

Terrorism is not a significant risk compared to other premature ways of getting killed. Of course this does take some effort on the part of the government; when left unchecked it has the potential to do enormous damage. So what? The same is true for fire: society spends an enormous amount on maintaining fire brigades. And rounding up pyromaniacs. Or, in Holland, for flooding. We spend a fortune on maintaining dikes.

It is just one of the inconveniences of life. People wouldn't even talk about it if the media were not so eager to serve the terrorists' cause.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Dann Corbit wrote:This is something very wise.
The real impact of these awful men is small.
What they really want is both fear and attention.
I suggest that we offer neither.

Terrorism is not a significant risk compared to other premature ways of getting killed.
AWESOME !:shock: The Islamists have already won if you're comparing Terrorism to a Road Accident or if you think ignoring the Problem will make it go away.
I can only hope that the rest of your countrymen don't share your defeatist/blinkered Mindset or just a Generation or two away, your grand-children will be sporting names like Dann Corbit Khan or Mullah H G Muller :D.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Henk

Post by Henk »

shrapnel wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:This is something very wise.
The real impact of these awful men is small.
What they really want is both fear and attention.
I suggest that we offer neither.

Terrorism is not a significant risk compared to other premature ways of getting killed.
AWESOME !:shock: The Islamists have already won if you're comparing Terrorism to a Road Accident or if you think ignoring the Problem will make it go away.
I can only hope that the rest of your countrymen don't share your defeatist/blinkered Mindset or just a Generation or two away, your grand-children will be sporting names like Dann Corbit Khan or Mullah H G Muller :D.
Don't care if you are enough brain washed.
Evert

Post by Evert »

shrapnel wrote: AWESOME !:shock: The Islamists have already won if you're comparing Terrorism to a Road Accident or if you think ignoring the Problem will make it go away.
No one suggested ignoring the issue, but you cannot live in constant fear of terrorist attacks. At their core, these are bullies, and as a society we should stand up to them (as an individual it is of course not so simple). They will win if we give in to fear.
It's true that more people die in traffic accidents than in terrorist attacks. We still go out in traffic. Guess what: we also still try to improve traffic safety.