Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
leavenfish
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by leavenfish » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm

What I want to know is:

1. Will Komodo offer a DIFFERENT VERSION for round 2?
2. If so...why? Perhaps just a version with a contempt adjustment suited to the new competition?
3. PLEASE make these development versions available to subscribers. Just say on the download page: Subscribers - development version only, will not be supported. and we will be happy.

Norm Pollock
Posts: 1017
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by Norm Pollock » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 pm

An interesting possibility is occurring. Right now, with all 23 games completed we have 3 engines with 14.5 points. Two will advance based on S-B points. So it looks like the two will be Chiron and Ginkgo who have 145.50 and 139.25. And it looks like Gull will go home because its S-B points are 137.25.

But there is a catch. If Vajolet defeats Stockfish, or draws Stockfish, then Gull will surpass Ginkgo in S-B points. Why? Because Gull defeated Vajolet while Ginkgo only drew Vajolet.

As the great Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'til it's over."
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

carldaman
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by carldaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 pm

leavenfish wrote:What I want to know is:

1. Will Komodo offer a DIFFERENT VERSION for round 2?
2. If so...why? Perhaps just a version with a contempt adjustment suited to the new competition?
3. PLEASE make these development versions available to subscribers. Just say on the download page: Subscribers - development version only, will not be supported. and we will be happy.
+1 I've suggested this in the past, also.

gotogo
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by gotogo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 pm

How come they called the stockfish game a win with the same numbers as the fizbo booot game?
Can anyone say double standard?
Looks like another year with controversies and we can all assume everything will favor komodo!

carldaman
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by carldaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 pm

jdart wrote:Arasan also has one loss due to premature termination, against Bobcat. I don't understand either why they are not letting engines resume a game if it terminates early, for whatever reason. All other tournaments Arasan has participated in have done this. They can make their own rules, and they are following a consistent policy, but it makes no sense to me.

--Jon
If there's a will, there's a way... and probably more than one that would improve on the current rules, if they were really interested in doing something about it.

There is something we call an 'adjournment'. ;) The terminated game could be resumed later. It could come in handy in a big tournament like this, but apparently they can't be bothered to make any changes to their nonsensical rules.

CL

carldaman
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by carldaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

gotogo wrote:How come they called the stockfish game a win with the same numbers as the fizbo booot game?
Can anyone say double standard?
Looks like another year with controversies and we can all assume everything will favor komodo!
I think they're proud of their controversies, which are bound to dog them season after season. They will staunchly defend their poor rules and stubbornly refuse to consider any helpful suggestions. :?

If you point out the double standards, you'll be told to go run your own tournament.

Dan Cooper
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by Dan Cooper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 am

carldaman wrote:
gotogo wrote:How come they called the stockfish game a win with the same numbers as the fizbo booot game?
Can anyone say double standard?
Looks like another year with controversies and we can all assume everything will favor komodo!
I think they're proud of their controversies, which are bound to dog them season after season. They will staunchly defend their poor rules and stubbornly refuse to consider any helpful suggestions. :?

If you point out the double standards, you'll be told to go run your own tournament.
What are you two talking about here?

carldaman
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by carldaman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 am

Dan Cooper wrote:
carldaman wrote:
gotogo wrote:How come they called the stockfish game a win with the same numbers as the fizbo booot game?
Can anyone say double standard?
Looks like another year with controversies and we can all assume everything will favor komodo!
I think they're proud of their controversies, which are bound to dog them season after season. They will staunchly defend their poor rules and stubbornly refuse to consider any helpful suggestions. :?

If you point out the double standards, you'll be told to go run your own tournament.
What are you two talking about here?
Fizbo was awarded a loss while it was winning against Booot with a huge score of +12.xx or smth similar, because it "disconnected", and, more outrageously, the losing engine was awarded the win on top of that. As a consequence of this "result", Booot qualified for the next round.

Dan Cooper
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by Dan Cooper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:19 am

carldaman wrote:
Dan Cooper wrote:
carldaman wrote:
gotogo wrote:How come they called the stockfish game a win with the same numbers as the fizbo booot game?
Can anyone say double standard?
Looks like another year with controversies and we can all assume everything will favor komodo!
I think they're proud of their controversies, which are bound to dog them season after season. They will staunchly defend their poor rules and stubbornly refuse to consider any helpful suggestions. :?

If you point out the double standards, you'll be told to go run your own tournament.
What are you two talking about here?
Fizbo was awarded a loss while it was winning against Booot with a huge score of +12.xx or smth similar, because it "disconnected", and, more outrageously, the losing engine was awarded the win on top of that. As a consequence of this "result", Booot qualified for the next round.
What exactly does that have to do with Stockfish?

gotogo
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 am

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by gotogo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 am

12.73 stockfish eval vajolet eval 8.38 when tcec rule kicked in and game called! stockfish won tcec rule! look at the score it tells the story!

booot eval -8.42 fizbo eval -12.68 fizbo was black why wasn't tcec rule awarded to fizbo at that point?

it is a direct comparison of two games, and fizbo got the short end of the stick with the same eval that was called in favor of stockfish!

Post Reply