Chess and Cognac

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Chess and Cognac

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Robert Flesher wrote:
fern wrote:Clearly this site by Norman Brandon is the very best chess site of Internet all around the globe. Almost too many features. Engines to download, reviews, photos, lessons, tips, histories, etc, etc.
Very impressive.

Fern

I went to this site and love the content. However, downloads do not work for me, even after following all instructions, very annoying! I sent and e-mail to support with no reply. :?:
Hi Robert,

Spent 4 days implementing a new design (which you may have noticed), fixing conflicts and dealing with CSS issues.

Will respond to your email today. :)
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

The site seems to be taken down. Hope everything is alright with Brendan.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

carldaman wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm The site seems to be taken down. Hope everything is alright with Brendan.
Hey mate, thanks for your concern, I'm fine.

I recently received the hosting bill for my website, and despite it not being very expensive, whilst on the hosting payment page I had a thought:

"Do I REALLY want to keep this thing going?"

I've been planning to spend 2020 studying and acquiring other skills, so maintaining a fully functioning website will be more of a distraction than a hobby at this stage.

I'm the type who has always shown a lot of potential, but instead of digging deep on a single huge goal, chased 1000 butterflies at once, diluting the aforementioned potential.

So I need to focus. I will still occasionally post my chess adventures on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/brendanjnorman) and have backed up my website, but I have goals to chase. :)

I will still be working on a side project with Pawel Koziol, but I have goals to chase.

I will likely re-upload the website sometime in the future.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

All the best, Brendan. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Best of luck with your new projects, Norman! Glad you backed up the old site - it was a real treat for many of us I'm sure. :D
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Thanks a lot for your hard work Brendan!

I hope you consider releasing for free the chess videos you used to sell on your website, such as the Tactical Vs. Positional challenges that were a blast to watch and I'm sure would make very happy some members of the community :)
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:37 am Thanks a lot for your hard work Brendan!

I hope you consider releasing for free the chess videos you used to sell on your website, such as the Tactical Vs. Positional challenges that were a blast to watch and I'm sure would make very happy some members of the community :)
You know what? That's a good idea.

Leave it with me, I'll put them on Dropbox for our pals later. ;)

P.S. Thanks to Graham and Carl for the wishes.
chetday

Post by chetday »

Good luck with your new projects, Brendan. I've enjoyed your website and emails for a long time. Thank you!
corres

Post by corres »

fern wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm ...
Chess and cognac is a good pairing.
Nevertheless I like better the rum.
Rum is a good defensive drink against viruses but only with scale.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

chetday wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm Good luck with your new projects, Brendan. I've enjoyed your website and emails for a long time. Thank you!
Thanks Chet, I appreciate it.

I'll still be emailing a smaller group of dedicated folks occasionally with chess content, engine personalities, ideas and so on...It'd be great to keep in contact if you're interested. :)