AlphaWhat?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply

No comment by Marco Costalba. Why?

AlphaWhat? Never heard of it...
1
3%
Of course, they lost many "private matches" vs. SF + book + proper hashes + Syzygy.
6
15%
This is an abuse of Stockfish name and reputation. I'll start a legal action.
0
No votes
It's far better than Stockfish. Very promising approach. Congratulations!
17
43%
Think at it as you want. That's not my business.
16
40%
 
Total votes: 40

Rodolfo Leoni
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 pm
Location: Italy

AlphaWhat?

Post by Rodolfo Leoni » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Of course this is a joke. We'll know Marco's opinion only when/if he'll decide to post them. But it's also a way to know how many of you think match was fair, and how many think that was manipulated to reach a spectacular result for their marketing strategy. It'll be funny to see the results... :wink:
F.S.I. Chess Teacher

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4373
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Ovyron » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Really? People think they went to the trouble of installing Syzygy tablebases, the Cerebellum book, and more RAM into their computers just to see how A0 handled the challenge and since it failed they toned it down?

Occam Razor says started from the ground up and were happy with what they defeated, and don't really care about their performance against Stofckfish+book+hash+Syzygy because it still plays weaker than A0, so by then they'd try to beat A0 instead of a slightly stronger Stockfish.

syzygy
Posts: 4604
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by syzygy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:48 pm

You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307

Rodolfo Leoni
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Rodolfo Leoni » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:52 pm

syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307
Ouch! You're right... :oops:

Then, the answer should be "Congratulations!" I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4373
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Ovyron » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Rodolfo Leoni wrote: I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
This is trivial to test, just play SF at 1min/move against SF at 1min/move with all the paraphernalia that it was missing, if the new one beats the old one by 30 elo, A0 would only have won by 70 elo intead of 100.

Rodolfo Leoni
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Rodolfo Leoni » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote: I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
This is trivial to test, just play SF at 1min/move against SF at 1min/move with all the paraphernalia that it was missing, if the new one beats the old one by 30 elo, A0 would only have won by 70 elo intead of 100.
I think you're right. But I'm using my limited free time and old PC for correspondence chess. I could try something like that on next spring, IMO. It could be interesting.
Latest SF Dev + Cerebellum + Syzygy vs naked SF8, 1 min/move.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher

Michael Sherwin
Posts: 3196
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 am
Location: WY, USA
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Michael Sherwin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:01 pm

syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307
Ronald, You are just crouching in wait to pounce on and attack anyone that does not perform to your level. Is that a demonstration of your superiority? Did you just happen to read and remember Marco's post or did you decide to search after the fact. But either way I can just imagine the smile on your face when you got the opportunity to attack someone. Out in the world that bullying behavior might get you a bloody nose. But here on the internet you can be pounded into the ground metaphorically with words and just ignore it. You just don't feel the pain do you?
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through

User avatar
Eelco de Groot
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Groningen

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Eelco de Groot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote: I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
This is trivial to test, just play SF at 1min/move against SF at 1min/move with all the paraphernalia that it was missing, if the new one beats the old one by 30 elo, A0 would only have won by 70 elo intead of 100.
I think you're right. But I'm using my limited free time and old PC for correspondence chess. I could try something like that on next spring, IMO. It could be interesting.
Latest SF Dev + Cerebellum + Syzygy vs naked SF8, 1 min/move.
I think that is easily more than 100 Elo stronger than SF 8 by now, but maybe not when SF 8 has 64 cores at the hardware they were using. The Cerebellum and Syzygy are not really fair IMO, although a form of learning should be allowed because that is what they did too.

I'm not a mathematician you'd have to ask Tord and Joona but I prefer to think of Alpha Zero as Aleph-Null but that is just the German form of the mathematical term. Alpha Zero is more natural to English speakers. A form of infinity like ∞, where Google gets its name from. Aleph is used in the mathematical symbol, I suppose because Georg Cantor used that? Not sure.

Image
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan

Guenther
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Guenther » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Michael Sherwin wrote:
syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307
Ronald, You are just crouching in wait to pounce on and attack anyone that does not perform to your level. Is that a demonstration of your superiority? Did you just happen to read and remember Marco's post or did you decide to search after the fact. But either way I can just imagine the smile on your face when you got the opportunity to attack someone. Out in the world that bullying behavior might get you a bloody nose. But here on the internet you can be pounded into the ground metaphorically with words and just ignore it. You just don't feel the pain do you?
IMO it is absurd to even think about this (Ronalds post) as an attack...
https://rwbc-chess.de
Greg Strong@ovyron wrote: What I think is that you have a very, very, VERY strong desire to post, and very little self-control.
All the time. In every conversation. You must post. Something. It's like you just can't help yourself.

Michael Sherwin
Posts: 3196
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 am
Location: WY, USA
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Michael Sherwin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Guenther wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307
Ronald, You are just crouching in wait to pounce on and attack anyone that does not perform to your level. Is that a demonstration of your superiority? Did you just happen to read and remember Marco's post or did you decide to search after the fact. But either way I can just imagine the smile on your face when you got the opportunity to attack someone. Out in the world that bullying behavior might get you a bloody nose. But here on the internet you can be pounded into the ground metaphorically with words and just ignore it. You just don't feel the pain do you?
IMO it is absurd to even think about this (Ronalds post) as an attack...
Then you haven't been paying much attention.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through

Post Reply