Dear Google AlphaZero chess team.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Dear Google AlphaZero chess team.

Post by syzygy »

Milos wrote:
hgm wrote:But AlphaZero was not using 6-men Syzygy, right? So it was seriously handicapped.
A0 is not capable of using 6-men Syzygy otherwise they would state it in the paper.
It is rather ridiculous to assume that one is handicapped because it cannot use something it is not capable of using.
I fully agree that Stockfish was not handicapped by its inability to use the four TPUs :-)
Milos

Post by Milos »

syzygy wrote:
Milos wrote:
hgm wrote:But AlphaZero was not using 6-men Syzygy, right? So it was seriously handicapped.
A0 is not capable of using 6-men Syzygy otherwise they would state it in the paper.
It is rather ridiculous to assume that one is handicapped because it cannot use something it is not capable of using.
I fully agree that Stockfish was not handicapped by its inability to use the four TPUs :-)
Such typical Ignorantio Elenchi.
No one ever claimed SF is handicapped for not using 4 TPUs. SF was handicapped for using only 64 threads instead of 1024 real cores for example ;).
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Milos wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Milos wrote:
Such typical Ignorantio Elenchi.
Why? I simply agree with what you wrote and applied it to a specific case. I did not mean to say or imply anything beyond the single sentence I wrote.
No one ever claimed SF is handicapped for not using 4 TPUs. SF was handicapped for using only 64 threads instead of 1024 real cores for example ;).
Many did claim that SF played against AlphaZero with a hardware disadvantage because of AlphaZero's TPUs.