Most Positional/Strategic Chess Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Most Positional/Strategic Chess Engines

Post by Adam Hair »

Ovyron wrote: Scid is open source, I wonder if one could Fork Scid into an engine playing version...
Scid vs PC can do engine matches.
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

Jose? What was Jose good for? I downloaded all the Database GUIs I could find and Jose was much inferior to Scid...

Scid is open source, I wonder if one could Fork Scid into an engine playing version...
Jose is open source, and I don't think a tons of options is always useful. Adding well thought options to a nice looking/open source / cross-platform GUI is not something to reject.

I used SCID and SCIDvsPC, and they are excellent, but I find the interface a bit bloated. Anyway, I am grateful to SA and the SCID team for the great work they still do.

@PK:

I didn't delete Rodent from my engine list, I read all the manuals, but it seems, when I read your previous post, that I went the wrong way. I'll manage one day or the other to make of him a good Rubinstein, and, while overwhelming, the numerous options you offered are the way to go: I want an engine that would play the way I like it, and the positions I play myself. In that regard, you are ahead of your time. Thank you for your great work, and help.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

matejst wrote:I used SCID and SCIDvsPC, and they are excellent, but I find the interface a bit bloated.
Bloated has never been a bad thing in my book, they just need to implement an Advanced mode (default), and allow a mode that hides features of the program. Lacking features is always worse than being bloated. I needed to do specific things that Jose wouldn't allow, but Scid did.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Oh, yeah, have you checked Texel 1.06? It has been able to hold its evaluation and move selection against much stronger engines in my analysis, and I think it's because of its superior positional assessment on some positions, so it may be worth a look.

(have not had the time to check 1.07 yet)