Komodo 2017 TCEC Blitz Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Komodo 2017 TCEC Blitz Champion

Post by Leo »

Congratulations to the Komodo Team on winning the TCEC 2017 Blitz Championship.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
S.Taylor

Re: Komodo 2017 TCEC Blitz Champion

Post by S.Taylor »

It's very nice, that the long time control was won by Houdini, whilst the rapid was won by Stockfish, and Komodo just about came first in the blitz. So each one had its share.
However, being that I was hoping most for Komodo, it doesn't really interest me that it just about scraped by in Blitz, and what i really would like to see is that it would come top in the long time control tournaments and TCEC.

Komodo was meant to be a knowledge genius, i believe. And Houdini seems to be a great common sense programming, and SF? many things together I suppose (which they all are as well). Or tactical?
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

It was impressive that Komodo got back into the superfinal again after missing it last year. As a SF fan it was disappointing to not make the finals. I am still wondering if SF has the draw problem.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

S.Taylor wrote:and SF?
Any patch that raises Elo. ;-)
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Ras wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:and SF?
Any patch that raises Elo. ;-)
Komodo 1959 The best version yet?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Leo wrote:Congratulations to the Komodo Team on winning the TCEC 2017 Blitz Championship.
That's impressive - congrats to Mark , Larry and team. 👊
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

MikeB wrote:
Leo wrote:Congratulations to the Komodo Team on winning the TCEC 2017 Blitz Championship.
Again i say, that the main tournament was roundly won by Houdini.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

S.Taylor wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Again i say, that the main tournament was roundly won by Houdini.
Houdini beat a slightly buggy Komodo. Komodo gambled and lost the rapids with their update.

Houdini and the non-buggy Komodo are too close to tell which is stronger. The same is probably true of Stockfish.
Deasil is the right way to go.
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

It would be nice if now the Komodo team got around to giving out a new update for the people that took out subscriptions, it is getting onto nearly 6 months since the last update.?!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

S.Taylor wrote:It's very nice, that the long time control was won by Houdini, whilst the rapid was won by Stockfish, and Komodo just about came first in the blitz. So each one had its share.
However, being that I was hoping most for Komodo, it doesn't really interest me that it just about scraped by in Blitz, and what i really would like to see is that it would come top in the long time control tournaments and TCEC.

Komodo was meant to be a knowledge genius, i believe. And Houdini seems to be a great common sense programming, and SF? many things together I suppose (which they all are as well). Or tactical?
Note that Houdini did not perform better than stockfish at LTC

Stockfish got 19/23 at stage 1 and 18/28 at stage II
houdini got 16.5/23 at stage 1 and 18.5/28 at stage II

Total number of points were 37/51 for stockfish and 35/51 for houdini
but for some reason the points at stage 1 are not counted when you decide which program promote to the super final.

I think that it is a mistake and with a fair system we could see a super final between stockfish and Komodo.