Trojan in OpenTal1??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Trojan in OpenTal1??

Post by Ovyron »

MikeGL wrote:True. Better to just disable that thing and use an alternative AV software.
Or... run "naked". As long as you're responsible with the pages you visit and the things you download, you should be fine.

The only other time I was infected by something that targetted the Karpesky Antivirus specifically, turning my computer into a SPAM machine. After healing the PC I found out that if I didn't have it installed nothing would have happened, as the thing exploited a vulnerability.

So sometimes the same thing you're trying to prevent happens because you try to prevent it :shock:
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

1.0 is still on the site.

http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/opental/dist10.zip

I am curious if you would have the same problem if you downloaded it again. I use Windows Defender here, and had no problems with the 32 or 64 bit versions.
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Ovyron wrote:
MikeGL wrote:True. Better to just disable that thing and use an alternative AV software.
Or... run "naked". As long as you're responsible with the pages you visit and the things you download, you should be fine.

The only other time I was infected by something that targetted the Karpesky Antivirus specifically, turning my computer into a SPAM machine. After healing the PC I found out that if I didn't have it installed nothing would have happened, as the thing exploited a vulnerability.

So sometimes the same thing you're trying to prevent happens because you try to prevent it :shock:
That is very strange, when KAV has some low level system driver
protecting itself. But that exact same thing you experienced also
happened to my system with McAfee. Became a spam server, thanks to
installed AV, and my IP got blacklisted.