New Lucas Big Bug, not Big bang

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

New Lucas Big Bug, not Big bang

Post by fern »

Always when settled to play 40 moves in 40 minutes plays 1:30 minutes or more for each move, so necessarily lose on time.
I could win Larsen with this asynchrony.

Fern
lukasmonk

Re: New Lucas Big Bug, not Big bang

Post by lukasmonk »

The GUI's responsibility is to tell the engine how much time it has left, the engine can use it as it sees fit.
Probably use more time at first, and then accelerate.
Lucas Chess has a very simple time control system, it is only possible to indicate a fixed time, the number of moves is indifferent.
I guess I'll add more time control systems sooner or later.
fern

Post by fern »

well, not that indifferent because a program which is settled to play X moves in that fixed time does lose the game due to time.
I am not saying whete the problem resides, if in the GUi of engine, I just indicate it to be fixed for someone.
In any case, Lucas, a marvelous Gui.
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

In Lucas Chess if you want that the engine select the time it needs, (Playing against any engine), in Tab "Basic configuration", time = 0.0, depth = "--":

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iHW7O ... woqefFlTA9

Time in this tab means fixed time that the engine must think. If 0, then it is free.

Tab "Time":

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FlmBo ... TukZpNBYRG
fern

Post by fern »

I do not understand your config. Fixed time means OR fixed time dedicated to think every move OR fixed time to finish the all game.
If the first case is the case, then the program does not say never that time is over. If the second case, you can see how the engine accelerates trying to comply. I do not see none of those situations in Lucas playing with Opental and with some other engine I did test to see if this was a case just associated to opental.
The rhythm I use was 40 in 40.

Hope you do not understand all this as a reproach.

Fern
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

It means fixed time dedicated to think every move.

Setting a fixed time for the engine to think, is not consistent with a total time for the game, except in the case that this is to control the time the user himself. For example, if it is indicated that the engine thinks for one second each move and the game is ten minutes, really these ten minutes are a limitation for the user, not for the engine that will hardly reach the two minutes used.

And this is independant of engine.

The order to the engine from GUI is always the same, if a fixed time is setted by example to 5 seconds each move (in tab = Basic configuration):
The GUI says to engine, you have to think 5000 millisecons and say me that you think:
go movetime 5000

And when time in Basic configuration tab is 0.0 and depth = 0, and in Time tab, time of game is 90 minutes+6", then GUI says to engine, white side has 5400000 ms, black side 5400000 ms and each move you have 6000 ms more:
go wtime 5400000 btime 5400000 winc 6000

And of course I do not consider it a reproach, I have similar discussions all the time, which for me are very productive, because they help me to consider other points of view.
fern

Post by fern »

Ok Lucas, but then the program should not to say "I have lost on time, congrat" or something similar. It should play at pleasure and that is.
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

Why not ?, this is the correct result in the context you decided to play.
In this context if engine can´t win in less than 90/1,5 moves each side, then it lost on time.

And congratulation is just a social convention of the engines (obligated by the GUI), it really doesn't feel that, surely it would have been happy to make you bite the dust in the eighth move. :)

Thanks, Fernando.
fern

Post by fern »

Ok, Lucas.......