asmFish update - all flavors of OS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: asmFish update - all flavors of OS

Post by Paloma »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ozymandias wrote:
MikeB wrote:I figured many probably did not know about the cerebellum book, uni limit strength , variety play or the mate finder option so it was more of public service than anything else .
You can still take some credit for the variety option.
Why?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

syzygy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
MikeB wrote:I figured many probably did not know about the cerebellum book, uni limit strength , variety play or the mate finder option so it was more of public service than anything else .
Why?
Juan - my contribution was making the exe’s with the stated options set for both standard asmfish and matefinder asmfish for Linux , Windows and MacOS in basic , popcount and bmi2 configurations. It was an act of public service and not looking for any credit at all. Just hope that at least a few people appreciated it. As far as I could tell , some of those are usually turned off, but maybe I’m wrong. It is a sad state of affairs when people are just trying to friendly and helpful and get attacked for it. But it’s the world we live in and my objective is to continue to try the make the world a little bit more friendly and helpful. The best way for me to do that is to continue to be the most friendly and helpful person I can be, which at times , I have not been real good at either and have come up a little short. We all can reach for that higher gear and do a little better and not be so quick to criticize and I include myself in that statement as well. No harm was intended on part , i believe my apology was accepted by most people and I will try to be a little more careful going forward. And I do appreciate all those who have reached out to me with kind words of encouragement and support. A little long winded here , but I think we can and should move on. God Bless Everyone and I do mean Everyone!
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

MikeB wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Why?
Juan - my contribution was making the exe’s with the stated options set for both standard asmfish and matefinder asmfish for Linux , Windows and MacOS in basic , popcount and bmi2 configurations. It was an act of public service and not looking for any credit at all. Just hope that at least a few people appreciated it. As far as I could tell , some of those are usually turned off, but maybe I’m wrong. It is a sad state of affairs when people are just trying to friendly and helpful and get attacked for it.
You act as if you are being attacked for the service you have offered. That is far from the truth.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

+1
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

syzygy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Why?
He did the original code.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ozymandias wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Why?
He did the original code.
Ah, I see: https://github.com/lantonov/asmFish/issues/60
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

syzygy wrote:
MikeB wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Why?
Juan - my contribution was making the exe’s with the stated options set for both standard asmfish and matefinder asmfish for Linux , Windows and MacOS in basic , popcount and bmi2 configurations. It was an act of public service and not looking for any credit at all. Just hope that at least a few people appreciated it. As far as I could tell , some of those are usually turned off, but maybe I’m wrong. It is a sad state of affairs when people are just trying to friendly and helpful and get attacked for it.
You act as if you are being attacked for the service you have offered. That is far from the truth.
Well Ron, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and think maybe you did not see this quote.

“This thread looks like an attempt to capitalize on a lull in asmFish development to claim the spotlight.”

I believe my statement is most certainly not as far from the truth as you suggest. For someone to suggest I was trying claim the spotlight due to a lull ln asmFish is asinine and ridiculous and it was most certainly an attack on me and what I represent , but considering the source it is certainly something not to lose sleep over. I have been involved with computers and chess in some capacity for over 35 years and there are quite a few that have known me here for 25 years - there is no need and no desire for me to claim any spotlight. I’m here to help and encourage others enjoy their activity in computer chess. That is my mission period.

Anyway Ron, you seem like a level headed person and I do appreciate all of your contributions with syzygy tablebases and cfish and if you and I happen to disagree on whether that quote was an attack on me, I can certainly live with that. No need to argue about it.

Take care,
Michael
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

MikeB wrote:maybe you did not see this quote.

“This thread looks like an attempt to capitalize on a lull in asmFish development to claim the spotlight.”
I did see that quote, and it is clearly not an attack on your compilation efforts.

If you had made clear right in the opening post that:
- you had noticed that asmFish had been updated at the official site of the project: https://github.com/lantonov/asmFish
- since no executables are available from that site, you decided to do others a favour and provide them on your site.

Then no confusion would have been created.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

anyone who does free work for a community of interested people should be praised and cherished.

ingratitude is a BAD feeling